Portland st/Cole Harbour ESSO

Halifax_Hooligan

Nov 21, 2009, 12:46:16 PM11/21/09
When did they stop selling propane? I noticed today thier tank is gone.

Rick Walker

Nov 21, 2009, 12:49:39 PM11/21/09

"Halifax_Hooligan" wrote:

> When did they stop selling propane? I noticed today thier tank is gone.

I don't know when, but the reason for them dropping the propane is probably
because of Costco's and Crappy Tire's $10 dollar fill-ups, Hooligan.

Halifax_Hooligan

Nov 21, 2009, 12:52:35 PM11/21/09

Hard to compete with that price. Oh well, Just have to go farther
afield for a fillup now...LOL.

Rick Walker

Nov 21, 2009, 12:55:19 PM11/21/09

"Halifax_Hooligan" wrote:

Hard to compete with that price. Oh well, Just have to go farther
afield for a fillup now...LOL

LOL... we found out the hard way too - 20 bucks wasn't too bad, but for
half-price you can spend some time in Crappy Tire for gift ideas. And take
your Canadian Tire money this time! :-)

Best

Nov 21, 2009, 1:00:27 PM11/21/09

"Rick Walker" <R...@WR.com> wrote in message
*Why do you continue to call Canadian Tire, Crappy Tire?

Rick Walker

Nov 21, 2009, 1:07:05 PM11/21/09

"Best" wrote:

> *Why do you continue to call Canadian Tire, Crappy Tire?

Well, everybody knows that's what it's called, but I really used to like it
when people referred to it as "Cambodian Tire."

The best thing CT ever did was put Mark's Work Wearhouse in there... it's an
immediate draw to the store, and you have to pass right through the centre
aisle to get there.

Smart move.

wmd

Nov 21, 2009, 2:00:41 PM11/21/09
Rick Walker wrote:

> Well, everybody knows that's what it's called, but I really used to like
> it when people referred to it as "Cambodian Tire."
>
> The best thing CT ever did was put Mark's Work Wearhouse in there...
> it's an immediate draw to the store, and you have to pass right through
> the centre aisle to get there.
>
> Smart move.

Smart move, maybe, although I miss the location in Dartmouth. I'm very
happy to hear that Mark's will be re-opening their store at the Penhorn
site. I'm told it will be in the new strip mall adjacent to Sobeys.

wmd

Rick Walker

Nov 21, 2009, 3:53:07 PM11/21/09

"wmd" wrote:

>"Rick Walker" wrote:

>> The best thing CT ever did was put Mark's Work Wearhouse in there... it's
>> an immediate draw to the store, and you have to pass right through the
>> centre aisle to get there.
>>
>> Smart move.

> Smart move, maybe, although I miss the location in Dartmouth. I'm very
> happy to hear that Mark's will be re-opening their store at the Penhorn
> site. I'm told it will be in the new strip mall adjacent to Sobeys.

Yes it will be - they're very tight-lipped about who's going to move into
that strip, but hopefully it works for all of them. I wonder what they'll
call it? Penhorn Mall it no longer is!

Mic Mac is still going, but I doubt if it will be there in 20 years - seems
the way of the Western world is away from malls, and back to individual
stores.

Best

Nov 21, 2009, 4:08:15 PM11/21/09

"Rick Walker" <R...@WR.com> wrote in message
*Not sure what that means. Doesn't seem like the definition of smart to
me........ I enjoy Canadian Tire, have for years, they are an interesting
place to shop, and I enjoy knowing that they are Canadian, and locally
franchised. They've always treated me well.

Rick Walker

Nov 21, 2009, 4:33:05 PM11/21/09

"Best" wrote:

> *Not sure what that means. Doesn't seem like the definition of smart to
> me........ I enjoy Canadian Tire, have for years, they are an interesting
> place to shop, and I enjoy knowing that they are Canadian, and locally
> franchised. They've always treated me well.

I worked there once in my teens - they had a great retirement/investment
package, and back then their quality was pretty well top-notch. Today,
you'll find brand names imported from all over the world, and a lot of it
*is* crap.

Their roller-skating employees know little of nothing about their
merchandise anymore, so Mark's was wise to put their shop at the back, just
so people *had* to walk through the store to get to Mark's. The same reason
Woolco used to have "Dollar Daze"... everything on sale went down every
centre aisle of the store, forcing you to go into different departments that
had "sale" items on the end of their aisles. Of course, the mark-up was
incredible on these end-of-aisle specials, so they could recoup money lost
during the "Dollar daze" madness.

I wonder if the amount of people entering would dwindle should Mark's ever
leave? They won't though - I'm not sure, but I believe CT owns them now.

Best

Nov 21, 2009, 5:02:45 PM11/21/09

"Rick Walker" <R...@WR.com> wrote in message
*Where are the roller skating employees? Do you think the Mark's at Penhorn
will be an additional store, or a move?

Rick Walker

Nov 21, 2009, 5:51:49 PM11/21/09

"Best" wrote:

> *Where are the roller skating employees?

When they first opened they were all over the store - it's a big one, Best.

> Do you think the Mark's at Penhorn
> will be an additional store, or a move?

Additional - they won't leave the gold mine they have at Dartmouth Crossing.

Brian Smith

Nov 21, 2009, 6:39:07 PM11/21/09
wmd wrote:

> Smart move, maybe, although I miss the location in Dartmouth. I'm very
> happy to hear that Mark's will be re-opening their store at the Penhorn
> site. I'm told it will be in the new strip mall adjacent to Sobeys.

They will probably see an increase in business. The few times I have
lowered myself to go to the abortion called Dartmouth Crossing, there
have been more staff than customers in the store.

Brian Smith

Nov 21, 2009, 6:41:07 PM11/21/09
Best wrote:

> *Where are the roller skating employees? Do you think the Mark's at
> Penhorn will be an additional store, or a move?

He may be thinking of the Superstore when it opened, some employees
wore roller skates to cover the distance of the large store.

Rick Walker

Nov 21, 2009, 6:51:33 PM11/21/09

"Brian Smith" wrote:

> He may be thinking of the Superstore when it opened, some employees wore
> roller skates to cover the distance of the large store.

No, Bonner was with me when Canadian Tire moved, and the employees had
roller blades in their new store. Superstore is trying to be a Walmart/Sams
location, long before its time. I hate that one out here by us - much
rather go to Sobeys. Too much general merchandise. "Joe" brand... LOL

Rick Walker

Nov 21, 2009, 6:53:39 PM11/21/09

"Brian Smith" wrote:

> They will probably see an increase in business. The few times I have
> lowered myself to go to the abortion called Dartmouth Crossing, there
> have been more staff than customers in the store.

Maybe they had to move out of the way?

wmd

Nov 22, 2009, 5:21:36 PM11/22/09
Brian Smith wrote:

> They will probably see an increase in business. The few times I have
> lowered myself to go to the abortion called Dartmouth Crossing, there
> have been more staff than customers in the store.

I don't mind the Crossing myself... it is certainly better designed than
the BLIP. I don't like the trend of consolidating everything into these
"power centres", but such is the trend, I guess.

However, I dislike the location of Canadian Tire. The access is okay,
but the exit is a pain, and being next to Wal-Mart means that there is
usually a lot of traffic.

Also, I'm not crazy about having to walk through Canadian Tire to go to
Mark's Work Wearhouse. It is inconvenient, especially when CT is busy.

I've actually by-passed the Dartmouth MWW and driven out to the Bedford
store on occasion. I'll certainly be frequenting the Penhorn store when
it re-opens.

wmd

Rick Walker

Nov 22, 2009, 5:42:34 PM11/22/09

"wmd" wrote:

> I don't mind the Crossing myself... it is certainly better designed than
> the BLIP. I don't like the trend of consolidating everything into these
> "power centres", but such is the trend, I guess.

The Crossing is the "next big thing" when it comes to retail in North
America it seems, wmd. Some disagree, saying that colder temperatures will
always drive people into a mall, but if there are no stores worth shopping
in, people will go wherever they have to in order to shop. CBC had a
documentary on this past Summer called "Malls R Us", showing how malls are
becoming pass� in North America and growing in popularity in the Eastern
world.

The labour to build malls is incredibly cheap there; so cheap, that the
employees who do the actual construction can't afford to live there, let
alone shop there. And aren't the Mom and Pop stores in an uproar about
these malls! It's a documentary I'd recommend to anyone who's ever shopped
in, met friends in, or fell in love in a mall. I've done all three. :)

Mentioned also is the interesting website www.deadmalls.com, where even old
Penhorn Mall gets a nod (and it's an American website.)

> However, I dislike the location of Canadian Tire. The access is okay, but
> the exit is a pain, and being next to Wal-Mart means that there is usually
> a lot of traffic.

Make that always a lot of traffic, wmd. It's a horrible location being
right beside Walmart, but I'm sure that both are reaping the benefits of
heavy traffic flow. "If one doesn't have it..."

> Also, I'm not crazy about having to walk through Canadian Tire to go to
> Mark's Work Wearhouse. It is inconvenient, especially when CT is busy.

I make a straight trip down the aisle into Mark's when I'm going there only,
and make sure I use the same strategy when exiting. No side-glances at
sales, nothing. Just in and out. I like Mark's a lot, too.

Best

Nov 22, 2009, 6:14:48 PM11/22/09

"wmd" <wmd...@NOSPAMyahoo.ca> wrote in message
*Good to hear it is reopening. They have some good stuff, good variety

Best

Nov 22, 2009, 6:25:59 PM11/22/09

"wmd" <wmd...@NOSPAMyahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Brian Smith wrote:
>
>> They will probably see an increase in business. The few times I have
>> lowered myself to go to the abortion called Dartmouth Crossing, there
>> have been more staff than customers in the store.
>

> I don't mind the Crossing myself... it is certainly better designed than
> the BLIP. I don't like the trend of consolidating everything into these
> "power centres", but such is the trend, I guess.
>
> However, I dislike the location of Canadian Tire. The access is okay, but
> the exit is a pain, and being next to Wal-Mart means that there is usually
> a lot of traffic.
*I go out the other exit now, directly on to Lamont Terrace (every time I
say that, I think of "Sanford & Son....") . It can be a bit dangerous, being
so close to traffic turning right off Commodore, but better than facing
shoppers headed directly into Wal-Mart, with the crazed look in their eye.

Best

Nov 22, 2009, 6:28:32 PM11/22/09
*On another note, I bet DC wishes they had waited before building the large
development between the hotel and the Swiss Chalet/Starbucks/Quiznos. It has
sat empty for quite some time now, as it was completed just as the recession
hit.

Best

Nov 22, 2009, 6:31:12 PM11/22/09
*Another thing I notice about the streets in DC - Lamont Terrace has a 40km
/ hr speed limit at the Wal Mart/ Home Depot end, and I think Finnian Row
has a speed of 30 km / hr. Not too many places you will find that.

Brian Smith

Nov 22, 2009, 7:32:33 PM11/22/09
wmd wrote:

> I don't mind the Crossing myself... it is certainly better designed than
> the BLIP. I don't like the trend of consolidating everything into these
> "power centres", but such is the trend, I guess.

I find the maze of little streets and the variety of speed limits a bit
much. Especially since very few people actually pay heed to the thirty
kilometer an hour speed limits there. I prefer a mall, it is much better
given our climate.

> However, I dislike the location of Canadian Tire. The access is okay,
> but the exit is a pain, and being next to Wal-Mart means that there is
> usually a lot of traffic.

The whole monstrosity is poorly laid out. To have to drive past the
entire area to double back to the stores is a waste of fuel and time.

> Also, I'm not crazy about having to walk through Canadian Tire to go to
> Mark's Work Wearhouse. It is inconvenient, especially when CT is busy.
>
> I've actually by-passed the Dartmouth MWW and driven out to the Bedford
> store on occasion. I'll certainly be frequenting the Penhorn store when
> it re-opens.

It was a badly thought out design. I agree it's worth the time to pop
out to the Bedford, Mumford Road or Bayers Lake stores when looking for
something at Mark's.

Brian Smith

Nov 22, 2009, 7:33:12 PM11/22/09

Only in Dartmouth you say? Pity. :^)

Brian Smith

Nov 22, 2009, 7:34:24 PM11/22/09
Best wrote:

> *I go out the other exit now, directly on to Lamont Terrace (every time
> I say that, I think of "Sanford & Son....") . It can be a bit dangerous,
> being so close to traffic turning right off Commodore, but better than
> facing shoppers headed directly into Wal-Mart, with the crazed look in
> their eye.

Look out for Walmart shoppers when the welfare cheques are out!

Halifax_Hooligan

Nov 23, 2009, 6:54:04 AM11/23/09
On Nov 22, 8:32 pm, Brian Smith <Hali...@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote:

>         The whole monstrosity is poorly laid out. To have to drive past the
> entire area to double back to the stores is a waste of fuel and time.

Try taking Commodore instead of the 118, if your going to CT in
Dartmouth Crossing. Even if your going north on the 111, taking
Burnside drive , then Commodore is about the same as driving out the
118, and circling back.

Brian Smith

Nov 23, 2009, 6:21:46 PM11/23/09
Halifax_Hooligan wrote:

> Try taking Commodore instead of the 118, if your going to CT in
> Dartmouth Crossing. Even if your going north on the 111, taking
> Burnside drive , then Commodore is about the same as driving out the
> 118, and circling back.

I have made my way into the abortion from that direction. It is
actually less of a hassle to go to the Bedford or Lower Sackville store,
if I'm not going to the city for something else.