userinit.exe causing slow logon?

1 view

Justin.Voelker

Aug 19, 2005, 6:34:02 PM8/19/05
to Windows XP
I really hope someone can help me with this problem. A while back I
noticed my computer was slow after logging on. The startup time is
fine, but once explorer opens up and it looks like my laptop is ready
to use, the hard drive access light turns on and stays on for about 30
seconds. During this time, I cannot click on anything or do anything
except move my mouse. Anything I click on or any key commands I hit
(ctrl-alt-del) wait until after that 30 second delay to work. So if I
did a bunch of clicking, after the hard drive access light turns off
and the 30 seconds are up, all of a sudden all of the windows will
display. I did, however, manage to sneak in a quick ctrl-alt-del and
open my task manager after I logged on but right before the hard drive
started to access. I noticed that userinit.exe was the only process
running that stopped when the accessing stopped and I could regain
control over my computer. Hence, I beleive something about the
userinit.exe is causing a 'partial freeze,' if you will, of my computer
after I logon. Once my computer is back under normal operation, that
process is no longer there. Can anyone help me? I have read about
this program and that it deals with remapping network connections and
such, but it has never taken so long.

This is when I started to notice the problem:
I used windows explorer to burn an mp3 cd for my car. However, rather
than dragging and dropping all of the couple hundred songs back to the
folder each time I wanted to re-burn the cd, I just said "burn another
copy of thie disc" once my copy was burned and the songs were 'left' on
the d: drive to be burned another time. The first time I did that I
noticed a the problem the next time I started my computer. I thought
it had something to do with that so I removed all of the temp files
from the d drive, but still had the problem with the slow computer
after logon. I had tried everything but I have resorted to leaving the
room after I logon just to avoid having to sit here irritated while
this problem happens. Any ideas. I am new to news groups so I hope I
can find my way back here...

Azonic

Aug 19, 2005, 10:26:38 PM8/19/05
to Windows XP
Hi justin

there are many possibilities to this issue that you are facing..
Before i try and really help you regarding this i would like to know if
you are using any P2P software like Kaaza, Imesh etc...

before you post an answer to my question
you can try this little tweak
----------

restart in safe mode by either pressing F2 or delete during POST
start > Run > Regedit
Expand : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System

Right click the CurrentControlSet Folder.. on the right hand side you
will see a entry that reads "wait to kill service"
open and change value from 20000 to 200 for improved response time

Close the registry..

Finally before you restart delete prefetch files: start > Run >
prefetch {select all the content and delete}

Devendra Gogate

Aug 20, 2005, 2:00:16 AM8/20/05
to help...@googlegroups.com
creat a new user account and try logging with the new user name.
perhaps some of the user profile files of the current profile might
have got currepted.