Transhumanism Is More Dangerous Than You Might Think

Heaven soon

Aug 23, 2010, 5:15:44 PM8/23/10
to Heavensoon

Transhumanism Is More Dangerous Than You Might Think
If there is nothing special about being human, there is no essence of our humanness that we must hold in trust for future generations. That means we are free to use the new technoscience, as the transhumanists advocate we should, to alter humans so that they become "post-human," that is, not human at all as we know it. In other words, there would be many less or perhaps no ethical barriers to seeking the transhumanists' utopian goal, that humans will become an obsolete model. This would be achieved through our redesigning ourselves using technoscience -- or perhaps robots doing so. Instead of our designing them, they could redesign us! We used to regard humans as special on the basis that they had a soul, a divine spark, and animals did not. But, today... unethical interventions that contravene that dignity, such as designing our children, making a baby from two same-sex people, creating human-animal hybrids, cloning humans, using human embryos as a "manufacturing plant" to produce therapeutic agents, euthanasia, and, with the new neuroscience, perhaps most worrying of all, designing, controlling or intervening on our minds are in planning.

--
www.heavensoon.com