Experts Gather In Washington For Debate On Extreme Human Enhancement

Heaven soon

Sep 15, 2011, 4:59:37 PM9/15/11
to Heavensoon

Experts Gather In Washington For Debate On Extreme Human Enhancement
This conversation is part of a Future Tense, a partnership between Slate, the New America Foundation, and Arizona State. On Thursday, Sept. 15, Future Tense will be hosting an event in Washington, D.C., on the boundaries between humans and machines. RSVP to join us for "Is Our Techno-Human Marriage in Need of Counseling?" Transhumanism was everywhere this summer, from the cyborg anti-hero in the video game Deus Ex: Human Revolution to the ill-fated brain-boosting drug experiments of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The promise and peril of radical enhancement seems to be weighing on our collective minds. But the big question is: Do humans want to be transhuman? That is, presuming that genetic engineering, cybernetic augmentation, cognitive enhancement, and the cure for aging are all technologically possible in the next 50, 100, or 200 years, are they something people will want to use? And is enhancement something people should want? Short answer: Yes, absolutely.

--
www.heavensoon.com