Re: [HSL] New to AZ and hackerspace

26 wyświetleń

Ingrid Avendaño

nieprzeczytany,
21 paź 2012, 21:27:3321.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hey! What Intel office do you work at? I am at Ocotillo. Where did you move here from?

Duane Mathes

nieprzeczytany,
21 paź 2012, 21:34:0921.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ingrid, I am working in CH-11. I'm currently doing creative direction work there.
I just moved here (temporarily) from Alaska! Are you native AZonian?

Duane

Ingrid Avendaño

nieprzeczytany,
21 paź 2012, 21:44:3421.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Creative direction work? It sound cool. I actually moved to AZ from PA in June to do an internship.

Well welcome! HeatSync is awesome and the people are wonderful. :-)

Will Bradley

nieprzeczytany,
21 paź 2012, 21:52:3821.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Questions!

> How long does it take to cut 1/8" plastic?
Not long. Runtime is a function of material depth and vector complexity or bitmap length/width. If your file is 100% ready to cut (i.e. from thingiverse) I'd budget a couple hours including testing and cleanup.

> Can the milling machine cut pieces out of sheet aluminum?
It doesn't "cut", it "drills." If your sheet is not rigid (i.e. can't be clamped solidly on its sides) then you're better off with some kind of saw or shears. Thicker metal is usually called plate or bar, and that is more likely to be rigid and machineable.

> Are the hours really only 7pm-10pm?
That's when anyone can be sure the doors are open. Members can have 24/7 access, so you might be able to schedule or knock on the door outside those hours but it's up to a member doing you the favor of taking responsibility for you during those hours. You can see who's here at http://live.heatsynclabs.org

Duane Mathes

nieprzeczytany,
21 paź 2012, 22:42:0821.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Will, that's awesome, thank you for getting back to me!

My file isn't from thingiverse, I made it myself. It's a vector drawing of custom parts. Do you happen know the exact format the printer takes and how I should size it? If so, I will prepare everything in advance so I can be ready as soon as the doors open.

@ingrid, are you still an intern? What's your focus at work?

Duane

Will Bradley

nieprzeczytany,
21 paź 2012, 23:20:0021.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Check this out http://wiki.heatsynclabs.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter
Format is DXF (vector) or 1-bit bitmap (B&W)
Size it 1:1 (1 inch vector = 1 inch cut) or 254dpi / 100 dots per centimeter / 10 dots per millimeter (note, non-DXF will not cut efficiently; I highly recommend DXF.)
Bed size is approximately 4 feet by 3 feet.

Duane

--

Ingrid Avendaño

nieprzeczytany,
22 paź 2012, 00:11:0022.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I am still an intern until Dec. I do electrical engineering and art/design. For Intel I'm part of their building information modeling (BIM) team. What about you?

Duane Mathes

nieprzeczytany,
22 paź 2012, 00:18:2622.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
That is perfect, Will, thanks again. I'll be there tomorrow night ready to rock.

Duane Mathes

nieprzeczytany,
22 paź 2012, 00:25:2822.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I'm on the SDA team, I'm in charge of making everything look pretty. Also iOS development in Obj-C, and in my downtime I'm in charge of team building.
Maybe I'll meet you tomorrow night, I'm definitely going over there and having my hexapod parts cut!!

Will Bradley

nieprzeczytany,
22 paź 2012, 00:46:4622.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Anyone going to be around willing to help Duane cut stuff?

On Oct 21, 2012 9:25 PM, "Duane Mathes" <sand...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm on the SDA team, I'm in charge of making everything look pretty. Also iOS development in Obj-C, and in my downtime I'm in charge of team building.
Maybe I'll meet you tomorrow night, I'm definitely going over there and having my hexapod parts cut!!

--

Duane Mathes

nieprzeczytany,
22 paź 2012, 00:51:5522.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I can always come another night if tomorrow is too short notice :)

Nate Plamondon

nieprzeczytany,
22 paź 2012, 01:16:3722.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com

I'll be there and happy to help!

--
Nate Plamondon
Sent from a tiny on-screen keyboard

--

Gadget

nieprzeczytany,
22 paź 2012, 01:44:3022.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Same here. I should be in the space around 4ish.

Jason Robinson

nieprzeczytany,
22 paź 2012, 11:36:5822.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
It's a small world.. my Dad also works off of Ocotillo.  I believe he is in a different building though, fab 12.

Jason

On Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:27:48 PM UTC-7, Ingrid Avendaño wrote:

Duane Mathes

nieprzeczytany,
22 paź 2012, 13:26:1822.10.2012
do heatsy...@googlegroups.com
You guys are champions, thanks a mil. I'll see you around 4:30!

@Jason, small world indeed! Looks like almost everyone works in the fabs, I'm a software dude though :)
Odpowiedz wszystkim
Odpowiedz autorowi
Przekaż