Safety Meeting

Austin Kipp

Oct 22, 2012, 5:34:18 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Many of you have safety ideas for the lab. I would love to hear all of them. As well as any safety concerns you may have. So I’m holding a meeting at the lab on Thursday Nov 1, 2012 @ 7:00pm. If you have a concern think of how you would like to see them addressed. If you have an idea think of how you would implement it. I hope to see you all there.

Thanks,
Austin Kipp

Jacob Rosenthal

Oct 22, 2012, 5:45:08 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Calendered.

Paul Hickey

Oct 22, 2012, 7:14:40 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I'm in

Calendered.

Paul Hickey

Doug Shade

Oct 22, 2012, 7:37:34 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
When first introduced to the lab, I was surprised to see a radial arm saw. I am an experienced woodworker and perfectly comfortable using this tool myself... but the thought of anyone else using that tool just gives me the willies. Honestly... I don't know how or why the public is still allowed to buy such a tool. The direction of the blade pulls the spinning menace TOWARD your fingers... and how many times have we heard that saw shoot into the wood so fast that it binds up and stalls the motor? If we ever need floor space recovered... I'd vote to sell that sucker to the highest bidder, and thank the Lord it hasn't cost someone a digit yet.
Regards,
Doug

Nate Plamondon

Oct 22, 2012, 7:46:06 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I tend to agree with that sentiment. I've only seen it used twice, and
both times were, at best, nervewracking for me and the user. An RAS is
great for the amount of space we have, but it's my impression that
people are (rightly?) afraid of using it.
--
Nate Plamondon

Mike Bushroe

Oct 22, 2012, 7:51:20 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Squeeze in a table saw instead? Maybe have someone who is comfortable using it swap it for a medium sized table saw?

Mike

Will Bradley

Oct 22, 2012, 8:46:37 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

You're supposed to pull the saw out, put the wood in, turn it on, and push the saw away from you, right? Cutting with the rotation is always dangerous regardless of tool.

JR

Oct 24, 2012, 4:48:46 PM10/24/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Not usually.    One normally has the wood in place and pulls the blade through the wood- although "pulls" is sometime a stretch as it's as much pushing against the blade's desire to pull into the wood.

 A lot of the saws in school shops growing up had a wire rope attached to several weights to help offset  the inclination of the saw to pull itself into the wood.

And anyone who's using that saw and has it bind the motor should step back and take a remedial course in using it.

Jasper Nance

Oct 24, 2012, 4:50:17 PM10/24/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Is one offered? JR are you volunteering to teach some courses in proper saw usage?

Jasper Nance - KE7PHI
Creative and Scientific Imagery
http://www.nebarnix.com/

JR