Use a respirator, idiot

Ryan Mcdermott

Oct 22, 2012, 2:32:15 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Fact: Nikola Tesla did not use a respirator, and he is currently DEAD!

Sharing my own stupidity here for all of your sake:

I was angle grinding some sheet metal the other day, and when I got done, I blew my nose (I have allergies right now).  The snot that came out was a nasty greyish goo.

I had been inhaling metal powder, which I can't imagine is good for me.

Respirators are super, super cheap, and you should wear one.  I left a pack of them on top of the tool box by the safety glasses.  If you're sanding wood, or cutting metal, or welding, or doing anything that makes nasty fumes, put one on.  I have another box laying around the house, and I'll bring those in too.

(These are left overs from Burning Man -- ended up buying a shitload to give away, and then didn't end up needing to give them away)

-Ryan

Frank Jensen

Oct 22, 2012, 2:48:09 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Even a cheap paper one is better than nothing especially if you are doing something that causes large amount of dust or particulate in the air.

Jasper Nance

Oct 22, 2012, 2:57:14 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
For fumes even? Particles yes, for fumes you usually need a ducted air mask.

And don't ever blow your nose and peek after making black powder... OMGBLACKLUNGDISEASE

Jasper Nance - KE7PHI
Creative and Scientific Imagery
http://www.nebarnix.com/

Ryan Mcdermott

Oct 22, 2012, 3:01:49 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Okay, fumes was the wrong word.

Will Bradley

Oct 22, 2012, 3:08:20 PM10/22/12
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Borrow a fan or something even for stuff like acetone, too. Stuff is nasty if you let its fumes hang around your face.