Vegetarianism

Vege Lenny

Jun 10, 2005, 6:02:45 PM6/10/05
to healt...@googlegroups.com
Hello Omnivories,
So most of you know I'm a vegetarian and believe strongly that is the
healthiest way to eat. I believe it forces people to eat more
vegetables and healthier sources of protein.
A new study out this month in the world's premier nutrition journal is
another one showing the benefits of a vegetarian diet:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/81/6/1267
It was a long term study of women with different dietary patterns.
Before and after controlling for various factors they found
semivegetarians (those who sometimes eat fish and eggs) and
lactovegetarians (those who drink milk) had 50% less chance of being
overweight or obese. Further, vegans (no animal products) has almost a
THIRD of the overweight and obesity as omnivores.

HEALTHY TIP: Try to cut some of the meat of your diet. Try eating one
less serving of meat a week. What will you replace it with? Try some
of the alternative "meats". They taste like meat. That's the main
reason I don't like many of them. Both Gardenburger and BocaBurger now
make full microwaveable meat-free meals.

For more info on being vegetarian:
Vegetarian Resource Group www.vrg.org
American Dietetics Association:
http://www.eatright.org/Public/GovernmentAffairs/17084.cfm
For a free vegetarian starter kit: www.vegetarianstarterkit.com

Finally, if you don't want to listen to me, maybe you'll listen to
Albert Einstein, who said: "It is my view that the vegetarian manner of
living would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind."

Let me know if you have any questions,
Lenny