Good Old Fruits and Vegetables

Vege Lenny

Mar 2, 2005, 8:02:39 PM3/2/05
to healt...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nutrition Nuts,
The most important thing you can do for your nutritional health is eat
more fruits and vegetables. Now people get into what kinds are better
than others, but you should consume all different types of fruits and
vegetables. The ones with the most beneficial elements seem to be
green leafy ones like kale, collard greens, and broccoli. You should
probably eat 7 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables (total) a day.
What is a serving? Who cares? You are probably not eating enough of
them, so the rule is always add more. I haven't found a patient yet
getting admitted to the hospital for a Kale Overdose.

TIP: Reverse the pyramid. Add extra veggies to your pasta, stir fry,
etc. The vegetable amounts should EQUAL the amounts of other
ingredients. So for instance, if you are making pasta, think of the
vegetables not as a topping, but as a main part of the meal. It's
easy: just add some more when cooking.

TIP: Frozen veges are as good as fresh ones. Keep a bunch in the
freezer and throw them in to anything you make.

TIP: Try a new vegetable or fruit! Email what you try this week and
you'll go on my honor roll, which I'll email out to everyone.

Some Ideas:
Grill a Portobello Mushroom, some roasted red peppers. Slap on a slice
of soy cheese (you won't know the difference) and put it on a 100%
whole wheat bun.

Pasta with vegetable sauce. Add a big bag of frozen broccoli.

Stir Fry: Make it how you usually do, just add an extra set of veges.

That's all for now. EMAIL ME things you would like to have in future
issues.
Don't forget to try a new vegetable!
--VegeLenny