COUNTRIES: PAKISTAN : TERRORISM: Property Records Give New Insights into Osama bin Laden

David P. Dillard

May 4, 2011, 1:38:52 PM5/4/11
to Net-Gold -- Educator Gold, Educator Gold, net-...@freelists.org, Net-Gold, NetGold, Net-Gold, K-12ADMINLIFE, K12AdminLIFE, MediaMentor, Digital Divide Diversity MLS, NetGold, Net-Platinum, Sean Grigsby, Net-Gold, Temple Gold Discussion Group, Temple University Net-Gold Archive, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports Tourism, Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports, HEALTH-RECREATIO...@listserv.temple.edu

.

.

COUNTRIES: PAKISTAN :
TERRORISM:
Property Records Give New Insights into Osama bin Laden

.

.

Property Records Give New Insights into Osama bin Laden
May 4, 2011 11:06AM
By NAHAL TOOSI and ZARAR KHAN Associated Press
ABBOTTABAD, Pakistan May 4, 2011 (AP)
ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=13524857

.

.

The Pakistani who owned the compound that sheltered Osama bin Laden in his
final years said he was buying the property for "an uncle," according to
the doctor who sold a piece of the land in 2005.

.

The man was identified in property records as Mohammad Arshad; neighbors
said one of two Pakistani men living in the house went by the name Arshad
Khan. The two names apparently refer to the same man and both names may be
fake. But one thing is clear bin Laden relied on a small, trusted inner
circle as lifelines to the outside who provided for his daily needs such
as food and medicine and kept his location secret. And it appears they did
not betray him.

.

Among those in that inner circle were Arshad and another man who has been
identified as either his brother or cousin. Arshad is suspected as the
courier who ultimately led the Americans to bin Laden, unwittingly, after
years of painstaking tracking. American officials said the courier and his
brother were killed in the American commando raid Monday in the
northwestern Pakistani town of Abbottabad.

.

The true identities of the two confidants and their exact links to other
high ranking al-Qaida figures remain one of the biggest mysteries
surrounding bin Laden. But more details about one of the key aides to bin
Laden emerged Wednesday.

.

Neighbors identified Arshad Khan as one of two Pakistani men living in the
house where bin Laden hid for up to six years.

.

Property records obtained by The Associated Press show Mohammad Arshad
bought adjoining plots in four stages between 2004 and 2005 for $48,000.

.

"He was a very simple, modest, humble type of man" who was "very
interested" in buying the land for "an uncle," the doctor said.

.

.

Toobin: 5 hurdles if bin Laden had been taken alive
KHALID SHEIKH MOHAMMED
May 03, 2011
By Jeffrey Toobin
CNN Senior Legal Analyst
CNN
Opinion
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-03/opinion/
toobin.bin.laden.trial_1_bin-al-qaeda-leader-civilian-trial?_s=PM:OPINION

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/433d7yr

.

.

It's the greatest trial that never was -- of Osama bin Laden.

.

Top U.S. national security officials said the American commandos who
killed bin Laden on Sunday were prepared to capture him alive if he had
surrendered -- but officials said they didn't expect the al Qaeda leader
to give up without a fight.

.

Of course, bin Laden has now gone to an unmourned death, but if he had
been captured rather than killed, it would have made all the previous
legal proceedings arising out of the war on terror look simple by
comparison.

.

It does seem certain that bin Laden would have been put on trial, tempting
though it might have been to execute him on the spot. But how and where
that trial would have taken place is far from certain.

.

[Questions Discussed in This Article]

1. Trial: Civilian vs. military?

2. Where would he have been tried?

3. Access to U.S. intelligence

4. Who would have defended him?

.

.

The young bride who tried to save Bin Laden: First picture of wife shot in
U.S. raid on terror warlord's Pakistan hideaway
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 5:14 PM on 4th May 2011
Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1383516/Osama-Bin-Laden-dead-
The-young-bride-tried-save-Bin-Laden.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/69gflxn

.

.

Bin Laden had 450 sewn into his clothes, ready to flee
Terror chief also had two phone numbers sewn into clothes

.

Wife confronted U.S. forces and was shot but not killed
She was NOT the human shield who tried to protect him

.

US and Pakistan in 'custody battle' over wife

.

British bishop: 'This isn't justice, it's revenge'
Ken Livingstone: Killing makes Obama look like a 'mobster'

.

Flags burned at pro-bin Laden protests in Quetta, Pakistan

.

Osama Bin Laden's daughter has claimed he was captured alive in his
Pakistani hideout and then shot by U.S. special forces, it was reported
today.

.

Arabic news network Al-Arabiya quoted 'senior Pakistani security
officials' who said the 12-year-old saw her father executed and his body
dragged to a helicopter.

.

A Pakistani official rejected U.S. accounts of a bloody firefight, saying:
'Not a single bullet was fired from the compound at the U.S. forces and
their choppers. Their chopper developed some technical fault and crashed
and the wreckage was left on the spot.'

.

The channel also said the surviving bin Laden relatives, including six
children and one of his wives, had been taken to hospital in Rawalpindi.

.

A slew of fresh details have emerged in the last 24 hours, which indicate
bin Laden had a plan to escape alive if he ever came under attack.

.

Claims include a report that Bin Laden had money and two phone numbers
sewn into his clothes at the time of his death.

.

According to Politico, the terror chief had 450 worth of cash hidden on
his person suggesting that he was prepared to have to flee quickly if his
lair came under attack.

.

CIA director Leon Panetta is also said to have briefed that bin Laden was
not more strongly guarded because he believed his network was strong
enough that he would get a heads-up about any raid.

.

A senior US official told Fox News the compound was 'built for deception'
with barricades and a false wall set up to confuse intruders.

.

It was built in readiness for an assault, the official claimed, with
barricades on each floor and the main door apparently blocked off by a
brick wall.

.

In a particularly salacious account, the National Enquirer claimed that
the Al Qaeda leader had begged for his life and said 'it's not me' when he
was confronted by the hit team.

.

It has also emerged that Amal Al-Sadah, the terror chief's 27-year-old
wife and youngest bride, was shot in the leg during the raid but survived.

.

In initial accounts of the firefight, US. officials had claimed bin Laden
was armed with an AK47 rifle and was using his wife as a human shield when
he was shot.

.

.

A breather, for now
Bruce Riedel
Hindustan Times
May 04, 2011
http://www.hindustantimes.com/A-breather-for-now/Article1-693446.aspx

.

.

Osama bin Ladenss death is a major but not fatal blow to al-Qaeda. The
terror group has powerful allies in Pakistan, now its key target, and
remains deadly. It has evolved enormously since 9/11 and its decentralised
infrastructure makes it less vulnerable. The mastermind of the 9/11 attack
was not hiding in a cave in Waziristan or in some Taliban stronghold along
the Afghan border region. He was just outside Pakistans capital Islamabad
in a military garrison town where Pakistans first dictator, General Ayub
Khan, was born. Abbottabad is in Pakistans heartland.

.

To imagine it, think of Annapolis to Washington, a military city
just outside the beltway. To survive there, bin Laden must have had
powerful protectors in Pakistani society.

.

Since 9/11, al-Qaeda has focused on Pakistan. It has built alliances with
the Pakistan Taliban (with whom it murdered Benazir Bhutto in 2007 and two
prominent Pakistani politicians this year) and groups like
Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (which it helped inspire to attack Mumbai in 2008).

.

Together, these terror groups are a syndicate of murder and each is a
force multiplier and protector for the rest. They are deeply entrenched in
Pakistans urban centres like Lahore and the mega port city of Karachi as
well as in the tribal badlands near Afghanistan. Lashkars boss Hafiz Saeed
led special prayers after bin Ladens death to eulogise him.

.

The Pakistani army and its Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) retain close
links to parts of the syndicate, especially Lashkar even as they fight in
other parts. It is hard to imagine that no one in the Pakistani army was
aware of bin Ladens hide-out. A key question for the Central Intelligence
Agency (CIA) now is to find out how much army protection bin Laden
enjoyed? Already tense US-Pakistan ties are sure to get even rockier.

.

Al-Qaeda has focused on Pakistan because it is the strategic prize in the
Islamic world, home to what will soon be the fifth largest nuclear weapons
arsenal on the globe and a country struggling against jihadism like no
other. Virulently anti-American with a very weak civilian government, bin
Laden and his Egyptian deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri have increasingly believed
that Pakistan is their best chance at being a global game changer a coup
by friendly officers that delivers the global jihad the worlds sixth
largest country with the bomb.

.

.

May 4, 2011 10:56 AM
Cables: U.S. near bin Laden in '08, didn't know it
Posted by CBSNews.com staff
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20059681-503543.html

.

.

U.S. troops were unwittingly within a few hundreds yards of Osama bin
Laden's Abbottabad compound in October 2008, WikiLeaks cables reveal.

.

According to a report in the Guardian, diplomatic cables show the U.S.
military was "training the trainers" of Pakistan's Frontier Corps.
Abbottabad is home to the Pakistan Military Academy.

.

.

May 4, 2011, 12:00 pm
In Afghanistan, No Time to Celebrate
By FIRST LT. HOLLY HERNANDEZ
New York Times
World
At War
Blog
http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/
in-afghanistan-no-time-to-celebrate/

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/68vc3m8

.

.

Osama bin Laden is dead. The news was announced in tickers, as I entered
my office at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan on Monday morning. Everyone
was gathered around the television, intently sitting on the edge of their
black swivel chairs. All right, lets pack up now its time to go home, one
of the sergeants in the room said. I want to see a death certificate, our
chiseled former infantry first sergeant said. We all know Donald Trump is
going to demand to see one. The blond newscaster described how Bin Laden
had been hiding in a luxurious compound 60 miles outside of Islamabad. She
exclaimed, Who would have thought he would be hiding in Pakistan all
along? One sergeant jumped up, muttering, I would have thought that. We
all laughed.

.

It is difficult to watch some of these news stories. President Hamid
Karzais reaction to the capture was to say: Every day we have said that
the war on terror is not in Afghan villages, not in Afghan houses of the
poor and oppressed. The war against terrorism is in its sources, in its
financial sources, its sanctuaries, in its training bases, not in
Afghanistan. And yet I am still here. Here in Afghanistan, a country that
by its presidents own admission is war weary. This is my first deployment;
I have been here 10 months, and I can assure you I am tired of working
every day. Weekends dont exist in war zones. It is difficult to fathom the
degree of exhaustion for a country continually at war for years.

.

Our first sergeant turned off the television for our daily meeting, full
of discussions far removed from Bin Laden. At the end, a sergeant sprang
out of his chair, tapping his water bottle against the wooden table and
proclaiming: Why the glum faces and grumbling. Lets celebrate. Be happy!
He is dead! Everyone responded with a small shrug as they turned back to
their computer screens to work. The television droned in the background,
posing a question: Is the war on terror over?

.

Oh come on, people murmured simultaneously. Does the media really think it
is over? someone asked.

.

I thought back to 9/11, when I was a freshman in high school discovering
in my morning debate class that something had happened. An expression of
inexplicable horror twisted on my teachers face as she had to confront her
students with explanations. All day, our teachers were transfixed to the
television trying to piece together the story; classes were canceled. At
14, I was old enough to realize a momentous day had occurred, but not old
enough to understand its significance.

.

I understand now. I looked around the office and asked the NCOs in the
room which deployment they were on. The responses ranged from their first
to their eighth. One sergeant asked, Can you imagine being away from your
family for eight years? I shook my head.

.

.

Why US wanted him dead, not alive
Paul Toohey,
US Correspondent
From: The Advertiser
May 05, 2011 12:30AM
Herald Sun
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/
why-us-wanted-him-dead-not-alive/story-e6frf7lx-1226050155864

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/65j8on5

.

.

THE US codename for Osama Bin Laden was Geronimo, the Apache leader who
was pursued, captured, became a sideshow attraction.
No one wanted bin Laden to become a sideshow. The White House says that
they would have captured bin Laden if they could, but that he offered
resistance.

.

Given a choice between capture or kill, kill was always preferable.

.

The decision to shoot him dead, according to the White House, was taken in
the moment, during the raid and was not preordained.

.

So why then shoot an unarmed man? And what resistance did he offer?

.

snip

.

The commando who shot bin Laden - who will need to go under the military
equivalent of lifelong witness protection - was not under fire from bin
Laden or his wife, but there was shooting and chaos about the compound at
the time. This is what White House spokesman Jay Carney called the fog of
war, when asked to explain why bin Laden was shot.

.

He would not detail what resistance bin Laden offered.

.

America does not conduct political assassinations these days, not
officially. The idea is to capture and interrogate, but the Guantanamo Bay
terrorists' pen is not accepting new prisoners. The CIA also has the
option of secret jails to hold high-value targets, but these have fallen
from favour in the Obama era too.

.

Bin Laden, the most valuable target of all, was in one sense of no value
to US interrogators at all; at least, not alive. He would not, presumably,
surrender information. And even if he did become a co-operative prisoner,
after the Guantanamo debacle there would, doubtless, be perverse demands
that bin Laden, if captured alive, be treated with the utmost respect.

.

Bin Laden, for many reasons, was better off dead.

.

.

Series: The Right Word
Patriot games with Bin Laden
The talk radio jocks have forgiven President Obama for his birth
certificate, but they want to see Bin Laden's death certificate
Sadhbh Walshe
Guardian.co.uk
Wednesday 4 May 2011 17.04 BST
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/
cifamerica/2011/may/04/osamabinladen-us-television

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/3bvwcan

.

.

It's been a difficult week for patriotic Americans, some of whom remain
torn between love of country and loathing for the man who leads it.

.

Rush Limbaugh surprised many of his critics by opening his radio show this
week (listen to clip) offering unequivocal congratulations to President
Obama for having actually done something extremely effective for a change
by having had the good sense to have continued former President Bush's
antiterrorism policies such as keeping "Club Gitmo" open, and more
importantly, for making President Bush's unfulfilled quest to capture and
kill Osama bin Laden a top priority. Limbaugh also couldn't help but
admire the president for rejecting the military's suggestion of bombing
the Bin Laden compound in favour of a commando raid, even though the
latter was the riskier choice.

.

snip

.

Laura Ingraham was positively furious (listen to clip) about all the
furore surrounding the death of Osama bin Laden not just because she
feels a ridiculous amount of praise is being lavished on President Obama
simply because he managed to carry out in just over two years what his
predecessor George W Bush failed to carry out in eight, but because she
feels that even if Bush had achieved his goal of capturing and killing
public enemy No 1 during his administration, the media would still not
have given him credit for it.

.

snip

.

Michael Savage was extraordinarily forthcoming this week (listen to clip)
in his praise for the president who he has so often referred to as the
most dangerous man in the country for having finally managed to kill the
most dangerous man in the world.

.

.

NATO chief says Afghan mission on track after bin Laden
By David Brunnstrom
BRUSSELS | Wed May 4, 2011 12:37pm EDT
Reuters
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/04/
us-binladen-nato-idUSTRE7434ZM20110504

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/3jv5eg2

.

.

(Reuters) - Osama bin Laden's death will not change NATO plans in
Afghanistan but his killing in neighboring Pakistan shows a need for more
security cooperation there, the alliance's chief said on Wednesday.

.

Anders Fogh Rasmussen also said the U.S. operation in which the al Qaeda
chief was killed was justified, brushing aside some accusations that
Washington acted outside international law.

.

"The bottom line here is that the founder of al Qaeda has been responsible
for the death of thousands of innocent people, and I think it has been
justified to carry out this operation against him," the head of the
28-nation Western military alliance told a news briefing.

.

"And I do hope that this very successful operation will lead to
undermining one of the world's most dangerous terrorist networks."

.

However, Rasmussen said international terrorism continued to pose a direct
threat to NATO security and global stability.

.

"Our reason for being in Afghanistan is clear and our strategy will not
change," he said. "NATO allies and partners will continue the mission to
ensure that Afghanistan never again becomes a safe haven for extremism."

.

.

Barack Obama has emerged looking like a cold-blooded killer and it turns
America on
By Cristina Odone
World Last updated:
May 4th, 2011
Telegraph
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/cristinaodone/100086248/
barack-obama-has-emerged-looking-like-a-cold-blooded-
killer-and-it-turns-america-on/

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/6fvhrj7

.

.

Before Osama bin Laden was killed, the presidents critics liked to portray
Obama as a wimp. From radio shock jocks to Fox news, they branded him a
bookish academic who hid behind his desk. He was comfortable on a
university campus, or working as a community organiser but not when
dealing with folks in Baghdad, Kabul, or Islamabad. Obama preferred
thoughtful seminars to action, ran the myth, and he would never make
Americans proud.

.

How they must be eating their words now. As of last Sunday, the world
knows that this man can kick ass when he wants to. A political Clark Kent,
Barack Obama has emerged from the commando raid in Pakistan looking like
an action hero. There are hints of ruthless cold-bloodedness in those
White House photos. The raid played out like a cowboy film starring John
Wayne, where the hero is a man of few words but deadly action.

.

.

Osama bin Ladens Pakistan
By Brahma Chellaney
CNN World
Global Public Square
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/04/
osama-bin-laden%E2%80%99s-pakistan/

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/4ysosqb

.

.

NEW DELHI The killing of Osama bin Laden by United States special forces
in a helicopter assault on a sprawling luxury mansion near Islamabad
recalls the capture of other al Qaeda leaders in Pakistani cities. Once
again, we see that the real terrorist sanctuaries are located not along
Pakistans borders with Afghanistan and India, but in the Pakistani
heartland.

.

This, in turn, underlines another fundamental reality that the fight
against international terrorism cannot be won without demilitarizing and
de-radicalizing Pakistan, including by rebalancing civil-military
relations there and reining in the countrys rogue Inter-Services
Intelligence (ISI) agency.

.

Other terrorist leaders captured in Pakistan since 9/11 including Khalid
Sheikh Mohammed, Al Qaedas third in command; Abu Zubeida, the networks
operations chief; Yasser Jazeeri; Abu Faraj Farj; and Ramzi Binalshibh,
one of the coordinators of 9/11 were also found living in cities across
Pakistan. If there is any surprise about bin Ladens hideout, it is its
location in a military town, Abbottabad, in the shadow of an army academy.

.

This only underscores the major protection that bin Laden must have
received from elements of the Pakistani security establishment to help him
elude the U.S. dragnet for nearly a decade. The breakthrough in hunting
him down came only after the U.S., even at the risk of rupturing its
longstanding ties with the Pakistani army and ISI, deployed a number of
CIA operatives, Special Operations forces, and contractors deep inside
Pakistan without the knowledge of the Pakistani military.

.

In recent years, with its senior operations men captured or killed and bin
Laden holed up in Pakistan, the badly splintered al Qaeda had already lost
the ability to mount a major international attack or openly challenge U.S.
interests. With bin Ladens death, al Qaeda is likely to wither away as an
organization.

.

Yet its dangerous ideology is expected to live on and motivate
state-sponsored non-state actors. It will be mainly such elements that
will have the capacity to launch major transnational terrorist attacks,
like the 2008 Mumbai strikes. Even in Afghanistan, the U.S. militarys main
foe is not al Qaeda but a resurgent Taliban, which enjoys safe haven in
Pakistan.

.

.

The complete articles may be read at the URLs provided for each.

.

.

WEBBIB1011

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jw...@temple.edu
http://daviddillard.businesscard2.com

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
Index: http://tinyurl.com/myxb4w
http://groups.google.com/group/net-gold?hl=en

General Internet & Print Resources
http://guides.temple.edu/general-internet
COUNTRIES
http://guides.temple.edu/general-country-info
EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/EMPLOYMENT
TOURISM
http://guides.temple.edu/tourism
DISABILITIES
http://guides.temple.edu/DISABILITIES
INDOOR GARDENING
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE
The Russell Conwell Learning Center Research Guide:
THE COLLEGE LEARNING CENTER
http://tinyurl.com/yae7w79

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://tinyurl.com/36qd2o