(OT) : The Present Day Media Corporations that Focus Solely on Radio Broadcasting may be Dinosaurs in the Making

1 view

~ RHF

Feb 18, 2008, 4:58:58 PM2/18/08
to HD RADIO
(OT) : The Present Day Media Corporations that Focus Solely
on Radio Broadcasting may be Dinosaurs in the Making

On Feb 18, 6:27 am, Steve <sdanie...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
Point-of-Fact : Consumers Are Buying "HD" Radios !
- How Is This Bad News For "HD" Radio ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/39dabdf90232868d

- S N I P -

- I understand this, but you must understand that the current
- problems facing broadcasters, which are in no way addressed
- by HD radio, are also deeply entrenched.

Steve - That is True.

- An HD bandaid isn't going to solve the industry's problems.

Steve - That is Equally True.

- And the public's acceptance of HD radio will be a function
- of its acceptance of other forms of radio, which have sound
- business models and superior programming.

I do not know of any New Media Business Models that
actually produce the Income Streams that present day
AM & FM Radio do - Enlighten Me Please !

- The idea of a "second audio stream" is absolutely quaint
- at this stage. Surely no one is resting their hopes on this.

Takes and Existing Franchise (Radio Station) and creates
a new Income Stream with greatly reduced Capital Cost :
Potentially Expands the Income and Inceases Profits.

- No, but the fact that it doesn't address problems that
- are genuinely pressing for the industry suggests that
- it will either fail or few people will notice one way or the
- other.

Actually -imho- It is hard for IBOC "HD" Radio not to succeed
as part of the declining Media which is AM & FM Radio.

"HD" Radio may simply keep the Patient Alive Longer
-and- At-the-Same-Time allow the present AM & FM Radio
Broadcasts {Media Corporations} to Expand into 'New'
Media themselves.

The present day Media Corporations that Focus Solely
on Radio Broadcasting may be Dinosaurs in the making.
* They now have to begin [ASAP] to View Themselves
as Pan-Media {All Forms of Media} Corporations; and not
simply as Radio Broadcasters {Radio Station Owners}.
* They have the Financial Where-with-All and Expertise
to Transistion and Transformer themselves into what they
need to be : To Be in Business for the next 50~75 Years.

Examples of Dinosaur Business Thinking :
* Railroads did not think of themselves as a Transportation
Business and naturally expand into the Airline Industry.
* Kodak though of itself as a Photo Company and naturally
not expand into the Imaging {Zerox} Industry.
* Silicon Valley was born because AT&T and IBM thought
that their business was their business and they both lost
business and market share as a result of that thinking.
.
.
hy dee ray dee oh ~ RHF
Hello and Welcome to the "HD Radio" NewsGroup*
* http://groups.google.com/group/hd-radio/
HD RADIO GROUP => http://tinyurl.com/27kwyt
.
TAG = 27KWYT
.

~ RHF

Feb 19, 2008, 3:18:38 AM2/19/08
to HD RADIO
IBOC : Part 2 - The Present Day Media Corporations
that Focus Solely on Radio Broadcasting may be
Dinosaurs in the Making - But Only Time Will Tell

On Feb 18, 9:16 pm, Steve <sdanie...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/1579166a5a8d4b03
- - IBOC : The Present Day Media Corporations that Focus Solely
- - on Radio Broadcasting may be Dinosaurs in the Making
- - http://groups.google.com/group/hd-radio/msg/c5e1cab41d458e2e

> > NOTE TO ALL - From Now On When I Post or Reply to a Post
> > concerning the IBOC Radio Broadcast {Scheme} developed by
> > the iBiquity Digital Corporation and what is called "HD" Radio :
> > I will endeavor to place : "IBOC" at the Start of the Subject Line.
> > =So If= You do not want to Read Posts and Replies about IBOC
> > "HD" Radio by Me you can easily Filter then out, or simply use
> > common sense and Ignore them.
>
> > FWIW - Moist of the Longer Posts and Replies can
> > be found at the "HD Radio" Newsgroup* on Google.
> > *http://groups.google.com/group/hd-radio/
> > HD RADIO GROUP =>http://tinyurl.com/27kwyt
>
> > On Feb 18, 6:27 am, Steve <sdanie...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > Point-of-Fact : Consumers Are Buying "HD" Radios !
> > - How Is This Bad News For "HD" Radio ?http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/39dabdf90232868d
>
> > - S N I P -
>
> > - I understand this, but you must understand that the current
> > - problems facing broadcasters, which are in no way addressed
> > - by HD radio, are also deeply entrenched.
>
> > Steve - That is True.
>
> > - An HD bandaid isn't going to solve the industry's problems.
>
> > Steve - That is Equally True.
>
> > - And the public's acceptance of HD radio will be a function
> > - of its acceptance of other forms of radio, which have sound
> > - business models and superior programming.

- - I do not know of any New Media Business Models that
- - actually produce the Income Streams that present day
- - AM & FM Radio do - Enlighten Me Please !

- I didn't think we were talking about today. I thought we
- were talking about the future, when HD radio will be pitted
- against alternatives that are actually desired by the
- listening public.

Today is all I have - Who Truly Knows . . .
What The Future May Bring.

- Other media offer thousands of audio streams.

But 'Free' Over-the-Air AM/FM Radio is so easy to acces
and Listen to;and for me it is a technology that I 'feel'
comfortable with. Maybe a younger Consumer of Audio
will find and use all those thousand of Audio Streams
-but- Not 'i' in the Digital Here-and-Now.

- - Actually -imho- It is hard for IBOC "HD" Radio not to succeed
- - as part of the declining Media which is AM & FM Radio.

- If "succeed" simply means destroying analog AM and
- despoiling a big chunk of spectrum, sure.

For the Media Corporations who own "The Franchise"
{AM & FM {Radio Stations} and for the AM & FM Radio
Listening Public who simply Listen to their Local Radio
Broadcasting : Your Statement Has No Value.
* The "HD" Radio Stations will have a Sellable Product
that they believe is better than old Analog.
* The "HD" Radio Listeners will have an Audio Product
that they believe is better that the old Analog.
+ To Both Groups Destroying 'old' Analog AM Radio will
be a Good Thing "In The Name of Digital Progress"
- A Big Chuck of Spectrum is something that Your
Basic Radio Listener does not understand :
They Know the AM and FM Radio Bands and the
Value that they place on them is the : 2, 3, 4, 5 or
maybe 6 Local Radio Stations that : "They Call Their Own".
# Radio Listening : It's About 'Choice' : It's About "Me"
It's Can Be A Selfish Act -especially- When the Radio
Listener puts on a Pair of Headphones and Isolates
Themselves {IN} Their Own Little World {Audio Cocoon}.

- However, if it means surviving and flourishing as a
- business, it has no chance and does not even appear
- to have been intended for success.

That is clearly not My View of the Future of "Free"
Over-the-Air AM & FM Radio : I Believe [Have Faith]
that "Free" Over-the-Air AM & FM Radio will be around
for many more Years; and that a Significant Number
{Large Percentage} of Audio Consumers in the Future
will 'choose' "Free" Over-the-Air AM & FM Radio as
one of their major {if not their primary} sources of
Audio Entertainment.

- - "HD" Radio may simply keep the Patient Alive Longer
- - -and- At-the-Same-Time allow the present AM & FM
- - Radio Broadcasts {Media Corporations} to Expand
- - into 'New' Media themselves.

- My guess is that HD radio will be a form of euthanasia.
- It will quicken the overall decline.

That would not be "My Guess" -but- That is just a 'guess'
for I am only a Simple Consumer of "Free" Over-the-Air
AM & FM Radio.

- - Examples of Dinosaur Business Thinking :
- - * Railroads did not think of themselves as a Transportation
- - Business and naturally expand into the Airline Industry.
- - * Kodak though of itself as a Photo Company and naturally
- - not expand into the Imaging {Zerox} Industry.
- - * Silicon Valley was born because AT&T and IBM thought
- - that their business was their business and they both lost
- - business and market share as a result of that thinking.

- I would add HD radio to the list.

time will tell... Yes Only Time Will Tell ! ~ RHF
.
.
yes - it's about iboc 'hd' radio ~ RHF