Which chips?

G. Kudryavtseva(2)

May 18, 2013, 10:41:55 PM5/18/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I am planning to buy some Atmega328 chips and I am wondering if there
is a difference between the 328 and 328p microcontrollers... I know the 'p' means
picopower, but would that make a difference?

Boris.

G. Kudryavtseva(2)

May 18, 2013, 10:47:06 PM5/18/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Also, what do the extentions mean, such as Atmega328-PU or Atmega328-PN?

-----

Saurabh Gupta

May 18, 2013, 11:27:31 PM5/18/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
The only difference between Atmega328 and Atmega328p is picopower, which implies some small instruction set and register changes to enable lower power. So likely both will work equally well for you.

The extensions indicate package information. -P* means PDIP package.  PN has a higher operating temperature range than PU.

Saurabh

giuliano carlini

May 19, 2013, 2:41:18 AM5/19/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
The 328p's can run at 3.3v. If you have sensors or other components that can't run at 5v, it simplifies things.

giuliano

William Garrido

Jun 18, 2013, 11:52:11 AM6/18/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Little late, but I should mention that the Arduino IDE won't recognize the non P version.

G. Kudryavtseva(2)

Jun 18, 2013, 7:10:01 PM6/18/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Thank you...