SCV-RAS - 3/28 | Smart SPHERES: Android-powered, Free-flying Space Robots

Edward P. Katz

Mar 20, 2013, 7:36:06 PM3/20/13
to IEEE RAS Santa Clara Valley Chapter, Homebrew Robotics Club of Silicon Valley

March 28, 2013    7pm     CMU Silicon Valley  Building 23  Room 118

Smart SPHERES: Android-powered, free-flying space robots

Mark J. Micire, Ph.D.
Intelligent Robotics Group (IRG) / SPHERES ISS National Laboratory
NASA Ames Research Center

Abstract

NASA is using Nexus S phones on the International Space Station as an upgrade for a trio of volleyball-sized SPHERES (Synchronized Position Hold, Engage, Reorient, Experimental Satellites). The SPHERES were originally developed by MIT for testing spacecraft guidance, navigation, and control algorithms in space. The Android-powered phones transform the SPHERES from test platforms into free-flying robots that can perform tasks the astronauts used to do, like recording sensor data and capturing video footage.

In this talk, I will describe how the Intelligent Robotics Group at NASA Ames modified and certified stock Nexus S phones for use on the Space Station. This involved hacking the hardware and destructively testing several units. I will also show video and data that we captured from operating the phones in space. Finally, I will talk about the software we have written to remotely operate the Smart SPHERES from Mission Control in Houston.

For details see

http://ewh.ieee.org/r6/scv/ras/

http://www.e-grid.net/

Edward P. Katz, Ph.D.
Program Chair,  SCV-OEB-SF Joint Chapter
IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS)
e.p....@ieee.org
IEEE RAS

Brian Higgins

Mar 21, 2013, 10:19:09 PM3/21/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com

This was my original idea to have a hovering sphere as a guide for the blind.  Maybe I’ll  see you next Wednesday.

Brian