Microscope for electronic assembly

Bob Smith

Apr 14, 2013, 2:29:38 PM4/14/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Awhile ago there was a group buy of a microscope.
I need to buy a scope and was wondering how well
that microscope worked. If you bought one what
did you think of it?

thanks
Bob Smith

Osman Eralp

Apr 14, 2013, 3:25:23 PM4/14/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what the group bought, but I bought a variant of this one: http://www.microscopenet.com/binocular-stereo-microscope-5x10x15x20x30x60x-ring-light-p-165.html. I highly recommend it as starter scope. I got mine with an LED ring light, which I prefer over fluorescent because of the more natural light. Because I have limited bench space, I chose the standard base instead of the boom mount. I can move the scope around and put it away if I need to. The standard base also has very handy clips to keep parts steady during soldering. With the standard base, you have about 4.5 inches of clearance between the mounting post and the working area. Thus, if you don't mind turning the board around, you could work on boards in the range of 8 in sq. However, if I was going to work on a lot of boards of that size, I would get the boom stand. I do all my surface mount soldering down to 0402 parts at 5X. I sometimes use 10X for inspection. I haven't used more than 10X magnification. 5X is achieved by screwing on a 0.5X reducer lens.

It looks like Microscopes.net has a lot of different uscopes, but they are just different packages of a few basic parts. If they don't have the package you need, contact them to see if they will make it for you. Also, they always have sales. Their "sales" prices are really their normal prices, though they sometime offer additional discounts in the 5-10% range.

Wayne C. Gramlich

Apr 14, 2013, 4:11:12 PM4/14/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com, Wayne C. Gramlich
Bob:

The HBRC group microscope buy that Zohare put together was basically
the "Boom Stand Arm Technician Microscope". The

http://www.lowestpricemicroscopes.com/category/products/student-low-power-microscope/

http://www.lowestpricemicroscopes.com/5x-10x-power-stereo-boom-stand-arm-technician-microscope/

The group buy had an incandescent light (which is now thankfully
extinct).

I'm pretty sure all of these various web-site (lowestprices..., etc.)
are pointing to just one or two wholesalers who resell the Chinese
brand.

The microscope that Osman found is about right. My scope only
does 10x is frequently too high of a magnification. 5x - 10x
is the sweet spot. I really wish I had 5x.

It is really important to get the microscope at the right height
so you are not hunching over to get to the eye pieces. If I ever
decide to buy another microscope, I would be sorely tempted to buy
one that has a PC camera. That way I could look at the nice big
screen rather than getting up close and personal with the microscope
eye piece.

Regards,

-Wayne

Bob Smith

Apr 14, 2013, 5:03:17 PM4/14/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com, Wayne C. Gramlich

e...@okerson.com

Apr 14, 2013, 7:12:03 PM4/14/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Bob,

I use mine constantly. It is a good entry level microscope.

Ed

Chuck Nolan

Apr 15, 2013, 6:02:43 PM4/15/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
G'Day All,

We can supply Lieder Microscopes at a student discount.

Regards,
Chuck Nolan