3D Printing Service

Bill Weiler

Mar 26, 2013, 7:43:23 PM3/26/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I have a small part I need made. (a 11mm wheel and pully for my Nanosumo robot). Is there a 3D printing service anyone likes they would recommend? It would be great to get around .1mm resolution if possible.

Bill W.

Bob Smith

Mar 26, 2013, 7:58:46 PM3/26/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
fastprotos.com is advertised in Servo FWIW.

Bill Weiler

Mar 26, 2013, 9:04:14 PM3/26/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I looked at fastpros, that Bob found, but their minimum feature size is .6mm and I definitely need .5mm. I emailed Techshop's 3dprinting email address yesterday asking for a quote, but I haven't heard anything. So I emailed Techshop's info email address, and no reply. Seems I should get some kind of confirmation. But maybe it is casual - not a ongoing profitable thing for them.

Bill W.

Michael Gregg

Mar 26, 2013, 10:06:49 PM3/26/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com

Bill,

I assume you already know of shapeways yes?

http://www.shapeways.com/

Their frosted detail plastic should exceed your detail specifications.

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted-detail

I am mostly sure that the frosted detail plastic is made on a projet. The same printer that techshop has.

I suspect you will pay less to get this printed at shapeways than you will techshop. It would be nice if you would report back.

Michael-

Bill Weiler wrote:
I have a small part I need made. (a 11mm wheel and pully for my Nanosumo robot). Is there a 3D printing service anyone likes they would recommend? It would be great to get around
.1mm resolution if possible.

Bill Weiler

Mar 27, 2013, 2:51:56 PM3/27/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I ordered 3 wheels on shapeways for $23. They warn that frosted detail plastic is brittle. This could be a show stopper if they break easily. Another option I thought is to make urethane castings in RTV from them, however, I have never done that before. With .5mm features, is it even possible? Would urethane be strong?

Bill W.

Bill Weiler

Mar 27, 2013, 8:03:25 PM3/27/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I called Techshop and they said their expensive 3D printer is down. They don't know when it will be fixed.

Bill W.

michael gregg

Mar 28, 2013, 2:56:49 AM3/28/13
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth. I am 90% sure that the frosted plastic that
shapeways sells is made on exactly the same printer that is the nice
printer at techshop. That would be a projet SLA printer.

Good stuff. It is described as "acrylic like". In that , it's quite
hard and brittle. Just like acrylic.

You may find it works well for you.

Michael-