[Haskell-cafe] Shootout update

Simon Marlow

Mar 30, 2010, 4:25:27 AM3/30/10
to Haskell Cafe
The shootout (sorry, Computer Language Benchmarks Game) recently updated
to GHC 6.12.1, and many of the results got worse. Isaac Gouy has added
the +RTS -qg flag to partially fix it, but that turns off the parallel
GC completely and we know that in most cases better results can be had
by leaving it on. We really need to tune the flags for these benchmarks
properly.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/haskell.php

It may be that we have to back off to +RTS -N3 in some cases to avoid
the last-core problem (http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3553),
at least until 6.12.2.

Any volunteers with a quad-core to take a look at these programs and
optimise them for 6.12.1?

Cheers,
Simon

Achim Schneider

Mar 30, 2010, 11:41:31 AM3/30/10
to haskel...@haskell.org
Simon Marlow <marl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The shootout

http://gist.github.com/349196

My machine is way to old to figure out whether switching to a
table-based lookup like the C version has would still gain anything, so
It'd be nice if someone of you with a recent machine could have a look
at it.

Other input is of course very welcome, too, as well as possibly a
version for dual- and upcores that distributes random number generation/
lookup and output over several cores. (My machine is way too... you
know the story)

Graham Klyne

Mar 30, 2010, 1:41:55 PM3/30/10
to Haskell Cafe
Simon Marlow wrote:
> We really need to tune the flags for these benchmarks properly.

Do I sense the hidden hand of Goodharts law? :)

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart's_law

#g

Roman Leshchinskiy

Mar 31, 2010, 11:06:03 AM3/31/10
to Simon Marlow, Haskell Cafe
I'm wondering... Since the DPH libraries are shipped with GHC by default are we allowed to use them for the shootout?

Roman

Simon Marlow

Mar 31, 2010, 11:08:42 AM3/31/10
to Roman Leshchinskiy, Haskell Cafe
On 31/03/2010 16:06, Roman Leshchinskiy wrote:
> I'm wondering... Since the DPH libraries are shipped with GHC by default are we allowed to use them for the shootout?

I don't see why not.

*evil grin*

Simon

Don Stewart

Mar 31, 2010, 1:11:18 PM3/31/10
to Roman Leshchinskiy, Simon Marlow, Haskell Cafe
Certainly.

rl:

Isaac Gouy

Mar 31, 2010, 4:26:33 PM3/31/10
to haskel...@haskell.org
On Mar 30, 1:26 am, Simon Marlow <marlo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The shootout (sorry, Computer Language Benchmarks Game) ...

In a different time, in a different place, "the shootout" meant a football once again flying over the cross bar or harmlessly into the arms of the keeper and England once more exiting an international competition.

Here in "the west" it has meant slaughter - back in 2004 crossed-pistols were suggested as the website image.

Wading through Google search results comprised of porn sites and college mass murder just wasn't a bright happy start to the day for me - so after Virginia Tech I changed the name.

I should probably have moved everything to a new project (a new URL).