[Haskell-cafe] whats with cabal and libgmp.so.3

Rustom Mody

May 14, 2013, 3:46:44 AM5/14/13
to Haskell Cafe
Today cabal suddenly started giving me errors that libgmp.so.3 is not found
Moving away my old .cabal makes it work again

Any explanations?

[I am on debian testing. I think the causing factor was that debian switched major versions recently.
There were a lot of updates... Nothing that looked like it was related to ghc]

Tobias Dammers

May 14, 2013, 4:30:25 AM5/14/13
to haskel...@haskell.org
That could very well be the cause. My guess is that jessie has a
different libgmp than wheezy. The stuff in your .cabal was linked
against the version from wheezy, but now it's gone because of the dist
upgrade (of which cabal is unaware); recompiling everything and linking
against the new version fixes it.

If you want to be sure, see if apt updated libgmp as part of the dist
upgrade.