Hacked Harp-l Post - John Nugent

El Rey de los Super Mochomos

Jun 19, 2012, 5:14:52 PM6/19/12
to harp-l-meta discussions
talk about meta. JF Nugent's post never even made it to harp-l nor
was it rebroadcast by my server. It's a yahoo account, surprise.
Used to be AOL but there are so few aol subscribers left Yahoo has won
that race. Gmail had a smattering of hacked accounts but then they
got on it and it stopped happening. This is so 1998 and my apologies
to Ken if he's reading. That train has so left the gate there is no
point in warning anyone. Several years back a prominent lister was
posting virus warnings. I will confess I did too but it was closer to
20 years ago than not.

Why I originally created this list was to whine. Whining is meta.
Actually I'm less than truthful about that. Why I originally created
this list was to double dog dare one of my more stridently insistent
users to take it somewhere else. For some folks the meat and potatoes
are all about the meta. This particular poster was being crushed by
the yoke of my moderation. I thought why not create a place for it.
Nobody bit. This group just languished until I started treating it
like a pseudo blog with commenting turned off.

Being listowner surely spoils it for you as an actual participant in
the group. Witness AJ and Adam. Adam busily trolls his own group
when he's bored (not that there's anything wrong with that) and AJ
spends his time quelling imagined riots. Who wants that level of
control, not me. That whole meta thing got me out of the mix. I
stopped having to argue it all and once that happened it became truly
a matter of implementing the model and then yawn. By then none of it
is fun anymore because you cannot have normal interractions with
people when you post. They either defer to you or you end up mad
thinking, don't they know who I am? Plus you've had to sort out what a
good post really is and you have this awful realisation that 99% of
anything you've ever posted really should have never been sent.

I've never posted to harp-l using a smart device. I have one but even
if I used it you'd never know because it doesn't say posted from my
iDevice when I do send e-mail using it. See, it's all about petty
whining. Just a tad over 4 months to go.