Response to questions

Fred Hawkins Jr.

Feb 16, 2011, 5:22:38 PM2/16/11
to harm...@googlegroups.com
First let me apologize for not responding to when the questions were asked.  I must have missed the questions in the response that George had.  Additionally I think it was when I was in Tallahassee.  I think George and I have worked out a plan where it will not happen again.

First question response: Current Status on Harmony Fire Station

I have not heard anything specific about the Harmony Fire Station or any other station being mentioned in or possibly closing.  County staff has continued to have talks with the Union.  I am told that some days there looks like things are going in a positive direction and the next time they speak things fall apart.  I do know the health risk issue and pay increase is headed to arbitration.  I do not think there has been a date set yet.  I have been getting messages from fire fighters and it seems they have not been made aware of the negotiations and what has been offered.  Let me say I have not contacted them..they have saw or sent me messages.  I would say a large majority of the guys I have spoken to were very exceptive of the county's offers.  many stated they understand the tough times we are in.

Second question:  Compensation reductions for County employees

I can tell you that over the years I have been in office all the employees have been asked to pay more towards their health insurance.  The deputies last year did not pay more as the Sheriff absorbed the increase in his budget.  The sheriff sets his budget and presents it to the commission.  He is an elected official and therefore sets his own budget.  The BOCC can negotiate with him on his budget and any impasse goes to the Gov. office to be settled.

Last question:  The county pays 100% for firefighters, does the county pay for police or receive money from the state to help:

Both are funded out of the overall county budget.  This is from the general fund and the fire assessment.  The county does receive money dedicated for education of officers from some of the court fees.  Additionally there are funds that come from forfeiture that goes to the Sheriff.

I hope this helps answer what you have asked.  As always you can email me or call me anytime if you should need me or feel I can help.  I will be holding a virtual town hall meeting March 2nd starting at 6:00 PM in the St. Cloud City Hall Chambers.  this meeting will be streamed live on the City's website and the local city TV close circuit.  I will be taking questions, giving updates and you can email your questions into me at my county email fh...@osceola.org starting at 5:30 that day.
It is a great honor to be your elected official...take care and God Bless
Fred Hawkins, Jr.
District 5
Osceola County Commission

Please Note: Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. E-mails to this entity or its employees may be considered a public record. Your e-mail communication, including your email address may be disclosed to the public and media at any time.