experiences -- week 1

Happy Herbivore

May 7, 2010, 9:26:31 AM5/7/10
to HappyHerbivore
On Sunday I'll be doing a wrap up post for the first week of HH30 and
I'd love to include any thoughts or experiences you have had --- it
can be something like "I've lost 4 lbs!" or "I feel more energized."
any observation i.e. "planning ahead is a must" or "having the right
attitude is key" are also welcomed.

I need any submissions by Sunday night (7pm EST). I can link to your
blog or twitter or leave it anonymous -- it's up to you.

You can leave a response here, email it to me happyherbivore [at]
gmail [dot] com or send it completely anonymously via formspring.

http://www.formspring.me/happyherbivore

Manda

May 7, 2010, 9:37:23 AM5/7/10
to HappyHerbivore
The first week has been pretty fun! We went to the grocery store and
grabbed some veggies we usually don't get, so it's been fun
researching healthy new recipes with new ingredients. I tend to use
the same sauces and spices in a lot of dinner's so this has helped
liven our taste-buds! Unfortunately, I don't think I've lost any
weight so far, probably due to my avocado and almonds obsession- but
my husband has lost 7 pounds!!!! No fair.

Thanks for asking!
~Manda B.
{awkwardcupcake}

KellyMonster

May 7, 2010, 10:12:46 AM5/7/10
to HappyHerbivore
I've enjoyed this first week immensely!

It was hard at first to move away from my sugar habit but after one
little hiccup I have stopped using it completely - I'm even drinking
black tea with no sugar and liking it.

Apart from sugar and some snacks (garlic and herb mini bread bites,
sesame sticks) it has made me realise that my diet is relatively
healthy and the change hasn't been too drastic. Cutting out soy milk
has brought me a little sadness because oats are just not as nice with
water but it's really not as hard as I thought it might be.

I think the best thing I have realised is that oil for frying is very
overrated. Onions are SO much sweeter when cooked in a little water
rather than oil, I'll definitely be reducing my intake of cooking fats
drastically in future!

Thanks,
Kelly (http://monstermakes.blogspot.com)
> >http://www.formspring.me/happyherbivore- Hide quoted text -

Danielle Jo Bays

May 7, 2010, 2:20:02 PM5/7/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
The first week has been easier than I anticipated -- and harder.

Easier: I'm satiated, feel fine, no headaches from lack of coffee.
Harder: I really need to plan meals so I have what I need (to avoid using
non-HH30 foods that are on hand). I've also failed with my non-HH30 happy
hour consumption of alcohol.

Danielle Jo Bays

http://www.facebook.com/djbays
http://twitter.com/djbays
http://www.linkedin.com/in/djbays

Jessica Creech

May 7, 2010, 4:08:48 PM5/7/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
I just blogged a recap  - - www.vegantacular.blogspot.com

In short - -

LOVING smoothies for breakfast! Am getting more veggies and fruit than I ever have before. I'm really enjoying lots of whole grains for lunch and dinner as opposed to quick fixes like processed veggie burgers and the like.

I thought I'd miss cooking without oil, but so far it's been okay!
I am finding myself hungry before lunch and duringt he day and want to avoid nuts...can I add some type of oats to my smoothie as well?

Can one eat TOO many bananas? I had 3 yesterday! I'm averaging 2-3 a day now. I hope that's not excessive.

No headaches, sleeping deeper, lost 2 lbs..and am forcing myself to experiment with different types of foods (I cut into my first avocado during this challenge!).

~Jess

--
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being." - - Mahatma Gandhi

miss...@gmail.com

May 7, 2010, 4:10:34 PM5/7/10
to 30 day challenge
Bananas will make you constipated if you eat to many.

From: Jessica Creech <jessica...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 16:08:48 -0400
Subject: Re: experiences -- week 1

Jessica Creech

May 7, 2010, 4:12:10 PM5/7/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
Even if I'm pairing it with lots of spinach in my smoothies? And flax? So far no issues in that department. Ahem.

Happy Herbivore

May 7, 2010, 5:06:25 PM5/7/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
HH's intern averages 2-4 bananas per day every day (he's addicted) and now he has ME addicted, so I've been eating 2-3 per day... neither of us has constipation problems but then if my mom eats more than 1 every couple of days, she's a mess; we all have different systems. Jess, I think you're fine -- if you start to run into any... "complications" cut back.

& yes, you can add oats or cooked grains to your smoothies.

Lambzilla

May 8, 2010, 12:45:20 PM5/8/10
to HappyHerbivore
I've been trying to keep track of what I'm learning on this page of my
blog:http://lambzilla.blogspot.com/p/adventures-in-eating-30-whole-
days.html

I haven't been hungry, and I'm learning that I like some foods that I
thought that I didn't (bananas, avocados, and dates).
I think I'm actually eating less because of the foods I've been
choosing. I'm certainly snacking less. I'm also drinking less coffee
(the morning smoothies are giving me energy). I have been very
thirsty during this challenge. I don't know what that's about. But
I've been drinking lots more water than I normally would so that's
great.

For me, the hardest part of this challenge has been telling friends,
family, and co-workers that I don't care to go out with them to
restaurants of their choice. I usually try to "go along and get
along" because I'm the only vegan/vegetarian. Saying "no thanks" has
been really good for me. I'm learning that declining such requests is
a reasonable thing to do, it's not rude, and people are more
respectful of my choices than I thought they'd be.

I enjoy reading what others are going through on their blogs/twitter
updates. That's helping me out too!

Lambzilla

May 8, 2010, 12:52:20 PM5/8/10
to HappyHerbivore
Sorry my link in my earlier post was bad. I hope this one works:
http://lambzilla.blogspot.com/p/adventures-in-eating-30-whole-days.html

Katie Morris

May 9, 2010, 9:30:16 AM5/9/10
to happyhe...@googlegroups.com
The challenge has been going really well. I've been having a lot of fun trying to plan and figure out what I am going to eat and how I am going to get all of my nutrients in.

I've never been one to enjoy oatmeal or breakfast grains, but I thought I would give steel cut oats a try for breakfast.  Turns out, I really don't like them, and have turned to bananas and breakfast smoothies instead. I've tried left over brown rice in the AM as well, and I think that would taste a little better with some soy milk ;) The only thing I really miss is tortillas/wraps for salads, burritos, etc.  But other then that, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I don't really miss the processed stuff.

saydee

May 9, 2010, 2:00:57 PM5/9/10
to HappyHerbivore
It´s been a week already? 9 days, 1 week, whatever...

I´m having a cup of coffee (the first one since the challenge begin!)
and i really enjoyin it, i love the fact that i dont have a cup of
coffee just because its the thing that I always do... the same with
everything in this challenge...

At the begining I have the idea to write down all the meals, but it´s
been a crazy work week... i think that maybe monday morning its going
to be the day that i will start writing down the things that i
eat!...hope that works!

I have to confess that i cheat a little bit (just in the salt). I have
to put just a pinch of salt in almost all the meals... I can handle
it, but my boyfriend (who is almost taking the challenge...but he can
´t quit bread, tortillas and the soy milk!) can´t... so I put a little
bit of salt to plain beans, rice, garbanzos... but when i fix a proper
meal... i prefer to have a homemade salsa..mmmmm! love it!!

What about the foods?

Almost all the afternoons i have a hungry attack!! so i grab a bag of
almonds, cashews, nuts...and full my belly!... I think is the thing
that I have to control... i´m going to hide the nuts and grab a pice
of fruit, some jicama, anything.... but nuts! stay away!!!! go away!!!

What about my stomach?

I´m having a little problems in that area... my stomach feel weird for
a couple of days, then feel good, then bad, but... i think it´s
beacause the amount of nuts! jajajaja so I have to control that and
see if that make a difference..

Food that i´m having?

All kind of fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains (brown rice, oats), beans
(white, pinto, black, garbanzo), teas (non caffeine), a little bit of
salt and agave syrup.

What about cravings?

One word...BREAD!! i really miss bread! but I´m ok, I´m having lettuce
tacos (i miss tortillas!) and apples with peanut butter!. I miss
scramble tofu...but this morning i made the chickpea version...yummy!.
I crave chocolate, but i have a little bit of pure chocolate chips
(vegan) once in a while. thats it!

Problems? Cheating?

I cheat with a little salt and a little oil. I have a tortilla...i was
eating in the road in a crazy day and the friendly things on the menu
was potatoes enchiladas (delicious!) and i have one... the other two i
only have the filling...and i use a little bit of agave syrup on
oatmeals and i think that´s it!

Energy level?

Pfffffffff...we´re having a crazy hot spring down here (mexico city)
and for me its hot, very hot... so I don´t know if its the challenge,
the weather, my home or what but...i´m exausted, tired and constantly
wininig about the hot and my dizzynes...where´s spring???

New things?

We just bought a orange juice maker instead of buying all mornings to
our local vendor...we´re going to miss him but homemade OJ it´s
cheaper! I´m having fun eating all the variety of fruit that we have
here... i just to be the kind of person that only have apples and
bananas... now i´m crazy about pineapple! and i´m having mangos,
tangerines, pears, watermelon, cantaloupe, all kind of berries and i´m
like crazy waiting to grape season!!! the same things about
vegetables... i discovered that i´m an avocado person!!!

Conclusion:

It´s been good, not great, but very good....and fun!! real fun!! I
think that i´m going to start week two with more organization,
thinking in advance and having little snacks (not nuts) for my crazy
afternoon. I want to have more time to interact with everyone in the
challenge, have time to write, to read, to chat... i hope i can...

Good luck to everyone and have a great week 2!!

P.s. sorry about my english. I´m a mexican trying hard..very hard!
(the challenge and the spelling!)

http://eatandthink.posterous.com/30-whole-days-challenge-week-one

The Zen of Making

May 9, 2010, 4:04:00 PM5/9/10
to HappyHerbivore
My first week had a few rough patches (http://
thezenofmaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/happy-herbivore-30-whole-days-
challenge.html), but was, overall, a very positive experience. I
learned several things about how my body interacts with food, some of
which definitely surprised me. I had always thought that I had trouble
digesting large quantities of raw vegetables, which turned out to be
absolutely false. What I really have a problem with, it seems, is
wheat. I'm not specifically avoiding wheat for the challenge, as I
generally make my own homemade bread from scratch. But, it's been a
busy week, so I haven't have time for my usual batch of loaves, which
meant that I ate mostly brown rice with my meals. I have a sensitive
digestive system anyway, so I was completely surprised that, by the
third day, most of my digestive problems had completely disappeared. I
already eat a varied, mostly-healthy vegan diet, so the absence of
refined sugar and wheat were the only huge changes that I made. I
don't really miss the sugar as much as I thought I would, and wheat is
something I'll definitely be more careful with in the future.

I have friends from out of town visiting for a long weekend, so I
haven't been sticking to HH30 as well as I could have over the past
few days (They've never been to NYC, so they want to wander and eat!),
but I'm looking forward to sticking to it next week. Even with friends
in town, I've made some good decisions that surprised me, like going
for the healthy, raw choice at a restaurant that I like, and having
fruit instead of dessert because it sounded better. I've also made
some spectacularly poor decisions, like eating a giant plate of pasta
primavera (and way too much bread) at my favorite place in Little
Italy when I took my friends out on Friday night. Bad choices aside, I
have found that, even if all of my meals aren't ideal, that I feel
better physically if even one of them is HH30-approved.

As far as other changes, I haven't noticed a big difference in my
energy level, but I've definitely lost a pound or two.

Haley