Fwd: darcs patch: changes for GHC 7 compatibility

Antoine Latter

Nov 16, 2010, 10:07:03 AM11/16/10
to ha...@googlegroups.com
Oops, this should have gone to the list.

Can someone update the email address for darcs-send in the repos?

Thanks,
Antoine

Nov 17, 2010, 6:36:09 PM11/17/10
to HAppS
Hello,

I will update that email address tomorrow. I'll have to think about
applying the patch. We are still a few weeks from a new stable
release, so it would be nice if people using GHC 7 did not have a bad
experience. But applying this patch will probably cause some merge
conflicts when we do make a stable release.

At this point in time, new Happstack users really ought to be using
head anyway because it is better than the old stable release and is
what is documented by the crash course. I could just update the web
page to say that, but I suspect some portion of people will just cabal
install happstack with out reading the web site. So they will be in
the dark.So, it's probably best to apply the patch, and deal with the
merge issues later.

- jeremy

On Nov 16, 9:07 am, Antoine Latter <aslat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops, this should have gone to the list.
>
> Can someone update the email address for darcs-send in the repos?
>
> Thanks,
> Antoine

Antoine Latter

Nov 17, 2010, 6:54:58 PM11/17/10
to ha...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:36 PM, stepcut <jer...@n-heptane.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I will update that email address tomorrow. I'll have to think about
> applying the patch. We are still a few weeks from a new stable
> release, so it would be nice if people using GHC 7 did not have a bad
> experience. But applying this patch will probably cause some merge
> conflicts when we do make a stable release.
>
> At this point in time, new Happstack users really ought to be using
> head anyway because it is better than the old stable release and is
> what is documented by the crash course. I could just update the web
> page to say that, but I suspect some portion of people will just cabal
> install happstack with out reading the web site. So they will be in
> the dark.So, it's probably best to apply the patch, and deal with the
> merge issues later.

Is there a way I could have done the patch to not have merge issues?

When I tried to do a 'darcs pull' from head to stable, darcs didn't
seem to respond in a reasonable time-frame.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before?

Also, I suppose you could just cut a new branch from head for the next
stable. I think that's what GHC does to manage its stable release. It
is likely too late to do it for the next stable release, but maybe the
one after.

Thanks,
Antoine

> - jeremy
>
> On Nov 16, 9:07 am, Antoine Latter <aslat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Oops, this should have gone to the list.
>>
>> Can someone update the email address for darcs-send in the repos?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Antoine

Jeremy Shaw

Nov 18, 2010, 1:25:54 PM11/18/10
to ha...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I was actually able to cherry pick the patch from darcs back to the
stable branch. Go darcs! So, you should be able to unpull the new
patch you made for stable, do a pull from patch-tag, and be good to
go!

I'll have to think about how to manage the devel / stable branches so
more. But I'll wait until I am closer to cutting the next release for
that.

I fixed the darcs send address for happstack-stable. Thanks for the
report! And the patch!

- jeremy