What's your favorite snow experience?

Think_n_See

Feb 17, 2006, 2:06:12 AM2/17/06
to Happiness Group

What's your favorite time of snow that you remember?

--
Mine:
* I liked a lot sledding in it this year - as an adult acting like a
kid.
* I loved the first time I experiences powder skiing! Having grown up
on the east coast, NH ice was the norm for my ski-bruised elbows and
knees. Am I ever glad I learned to snowboard on the west coast because
with boarding, you're always sitting or kneeling in the snow!
* I liked it when I was very small (maybe about six) and I was bundled
so warm that my body movements were stiff like an astronaut in the
oldtime suits.
* I like it when it starts.
* I like when Bert and Ernie on Sesame St talk about how no snowflake
is ever the same.
* I liked it several times growing up when schools closed and our
electricity went out, and we had to use candles. I liked it when as a
kid I was allowed to climb on top of the car to clear it of snow.

da5zeay

Feb 17, 2006, 4:07:09 PM2/17/06
to Happiness Group
Hey, that's useful to know that the snow is softer on the west coast! I
should learn how to board there! My sis wants to go too!

-- snowy moments

* I like watching the snow accumulate...silent! The world is so quiet
when it snows.

* I like waking up and seeing what things look like after the snow!

* I always liked reading about the maple syrup snow candy in "Little
House on the Prarie". I seem to remember my parents dissuading me from
eating snow, though I wanted to. Whenever I mention it now people make
a face and talk about Acid Rain. Sigh.

* I remember once when I was pretty small, making a whole lot of
snowballs and shaping them with my mittens so they were perfectly round
(as much as I could). Then I would put them in a pile by the side of
the garage (this was in NJ when I was maybe 7). I don't remember if I
threw them at anyone, but I felt very wealthy. It was very cold that
night, so the next day I went back and saw they had been transformed
into ICE BALLS. That was pretty cool, but they all stuck together.

* I also remember wanting very badly one of those red "snow brick"
molds, so you could build something like an igloo in your backyard. Ok,
that one is going back on my list of things to get! I want to build a
snow house that I can sit in and, I don't know, eat trail mix with some
friends talking about BIG PLANS to expand our snow house into a SNOW
LODGE with a SNOW GARAGE, with a SNOW BAR and MAPLE SYRUP...

* I like walking around after the big snowstorm / blizzard and seeing
how the snow sticks to the branches in funny places and everything is
white. Like in Chronicle of Narnia (the movie), they had lots of snow
everywhere. Very cool! Ice storms are neat too, when the next day is
sunny and everything looks glassy.

* I like snowshoeing in the woods and hearing crunch crunch crunch of
the snow. Also, trail mix tastes better in the snow :-)

* I am surprised, shocked, and sometwhat mystified when a giant
snowflake lands on my eye (assuming it doesn't sting). It's one of
those things that remind me that I'm in the world. Sort of like if
nature was a friendly cat or dog, and had a very wet and insistent
nose.

* When I was living in Taiwan, most people had never seen snow. We
lived on a mountain that had a popular national park at the top, and
when it snowed people would drive up to see it. Because it was so
ephemeral, people would often build snowmen or sculptures on the hood
of their car and drive home. It was entertaining to see.

da5zeay

Feb 18, 2006, 4:29:04 AM2/18/06
to Happiness Group
I found pictures of snowmen on cars in taiwan!
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~hsieh/photos_taiwan1.html

And here's the snow brick maker (or something similar...I remember it
being red on TV commercials)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atomicbartbeans/71831389/