Brain Happiness

1 view
Message has been deleted

Think_n_See

Feb 28, 2006, 12:47:19 AM2/28/06
to Happiness Group
Neuroanatomist Marian Diamond describes the five factors most important
for a healthy happy brain: Diet, Exercise, Challenge, Newness, and
Love.

"Number one, and in my mind the most important, is DIET. What we feed
this brain is a significant factor in its well-being.
Two, is daily EXERCISE, and that applies to the brain as well as the
body. Exercising the total body serves to maintain a healthy brain.
Three, we must CHALLENGE the brain. It gets bored; we know that well.
Four, we need NEWNESS, new pursuits, new ideas, new activities in our
life.
And five, last but definitely not least, we must nurture ourselves and
each other: call it sharing basic HUMAN LOVE."

>From http://www.newhorizons.org/neuro/diamond_aging.htm.

I really like her basic writing tone here, plus I learned a lot about
the brain's anatomy and needs here, such as the large need for protein,
and the difference between challenge and newness. So interesting!