Rehearsal and ringing protocol this Fall

Kathy Smith

Aug 24, 2021, 12:49:29 PM8/24/21
to Handbell-l
Hi everyone:

I was wondering how you are planning your rehearsals this Fall in terms of masks and social distancing, and sharing bells?

Thank you,
Kathy Smith
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
Saginaw, MI

Ellie Hodder

Aug 24, 2021, 1:03:52 PM8/24/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Masks, distance, air flow, disinfectant, bell shares within families. Ellie

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

503-730-9311 cell/txt

Ann Frederking

Aug 24, 2021, 1:11:21 PM8/24/21
to Handbell-L
We will continue to ring 12 bell music with no tables for the time being. If we were to return to tables, we would still need to distance even though we are all vaccinated as Delta is rampant. We have enough foam that we could remove the pads from their covers and spread out to accommodate 11 people, but we don't have enough copies of any of our existing music as we have purchased it all on the basis of sharing the music.

Ann

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Pictures from 2017 Expedition to the Northwest Passage -
Ann's hostas, about 200 varieties, updated for 2020,, start at:
https://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-A/
Emmanubells Handbell Ensemble - http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/worship_renewal/bells.php
Photo gallery of the construction of my viola d'amore - http://violaann.smugmug.com/Music/My-Viola-DAmore-Marguerite/36032083_cHq22
Ottawa Chamber Orchestra - http://www.ottawachamberorchestra.com/

Centenary UMC McComb

Aug 25, 2021, 10:35:26 AM8/25/21
to Handbell-l
We held our first rehearsal last night. 12-bell music for the foreseeable future. We're able to space individual tables for each ringer in our practice area, and no bell sharing.

Paul Kinney

Aug 25, 2021, 10:56:41 PM8/25/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
The six of us rehearsed and rang for the video camera for use in online services from October 2020 through April 2021. We’ll resume in September.

We each had our own table spread across the chancel and we all wore masks. I wrote music so there was no bell sharing. I didn’t do twelve bell music because to me that’s harmonically boring, some wanted the extra challenge, and extra bells allowed me to extend the range a bit, though that meant tables.

I rejected some versions of what I wrote because I couldn’t give some bells to one person consistently. Spreadsheets are great for checking out where extra bells can go.

I had hoped we would be back in the choir room and all at one table. I had hoped we could resume playing duets and quartets. But maybe not yet.

Paul Kinney
Redford Aldersgate UMC
Redford, MI

Behnke, John

Aug 26, 2021, 9:37:42 AM8/26/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
After attending a few recent handbell Zoom meetings, I've tipped my toes in the 12 bell ensemble pond. My first piece is an original entitled Glorious Praise, L2+ range. You only need to buy one because it's REPRODUCIBLE and it comes with permission to livestream or broadcast. Hopefully this makes things convenient. If you wish to take a look and listen, here's the link.
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/glorious-praise-digital-sheet-music/22085629?ac=1

________________________________
Aug 26, 2021, 11:32:09 AM8/26/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
s.Paul this is so helpful to know how you do things!! We are trying to start our choir again in Nov and Dec.  I am trying to design a “cart” (getting the idea from Neese Hart) to move and store bells since none of us can no longer get and put them back in cases.  Any info anyone  can give in this regard will be helpful.  I understand the “no-tarnish” material is only for silver and not for handbells, is that ctucky from Kansarrect?  I am trying to find out if the “cart” needs to be protected with appropriate material to protect the hanging bells.  Aanyone know what material is used in our bell cases and where I could call to get that info??

I agree with you that music for 12 bells is a bit boring because it is mostly in the treble clef.  Any help you can give in this area will be helpful.  thanks!!
nola jewell s

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Ann Frederking

Aug 26, 2021, 11:42:37 AM8/26/21
to Handbell-L
Thank you for that contribution. We will be playing such music for the foreseeable future.

I think it's very important that you have included the livestream permission because while my church will allow in-person attendance (to a maximum of 50 people) starting this Sunday, I personally won't be attending for awhile and live-streamed services aren't going to disappear when the pandemic is over. I will not be purchasing much future music unless purchase includes specific live-streaming permission.

Ann

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/handbell-l/94081636AFE2B14B9E721A4150C6922FA9A133DB%40CUWEXMB01.cuw.edu.

Linda Krantz

Aug 26, 2021, 11:56:58 AM8/26/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nola

I can’t respond to the storage questions, but several composers of 12 bell music have added piano accompaniment (much of it digitally available!) to give it some gravitas. For example, check out Jason Krug’s Website - grassy meadow music.com

Linda Krantz
Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 26, 2021, at 8:32 AM, Nola Stucky <nola....@gmail.com> wrote:

s.Paul this is so helpful to know how you do things!! We are trying to start our choir again in Nov and Dec.  I am trying to design a “cart” (getting the idea from Neese Hart) to move and store bells since none of us can no longer get and put them back in cases.  Any info anyone  can give in this regard will be helpful.  I understand the “no-tarnish” material is only for silver and not for handbells, is that ctucky from Kansarrect?  I am trying to find out if the “cart” needs to be protected with appropriate material to protect the hanging bells.  Aanyone know what material is used in our bell cases and where I could call to get that info??

J.-C. Coolen

Aug 26, 2021, 1:04:34 PM8/26/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Ann, if your church has the OneLicense streaming license (to cover congregational song on the livestream), that license also covers the streaming of handbell choir pieces by many of the major handbell publishers.

To see if the handbell publisher is covered, search the handbell publisher here: https://www.onelicense.net/publishers (just enter the first few letters of the publisher name).

jc

Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 9:56 PM

[...]

2020 Christmas letter - https://violaann.smugmug.com/Other/Christmas-2020/n-KNvfzn/

Pictures from 2017 Expedition to the Northwest Passage -
https://violaann.smugmug.com/Travel/Canadas-Northwest-Passage-2017-Part-1
Ann's hostas, about 200 varieties, updated for 2020,, start at:
https://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas/Hostas-in-my-garden-A/
Emmanubells Handbell Ensemble - http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/worship_renewal/bells.php
Photo gallery of the construction of my viola d'amore - http://violaann.smugmug.com/Music/My-Viola-DAmore-Marguerite/36032083_cHq22
Ottawa Chamber Orchestra - http://www.ottawachamberorchestra.com/

Barbara Kenny

Aug 26, 2021, 2:12:12 PM8/26/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Something happened with Linda’s link for Grassy Meadow music
- here it is https://grassymeadowmusic.com

Barbara

Ann Frederking

Aug 26, 2021, 2:19:19 PM8/26/21
to Handbell-L
I second that nomination. My group has survived the past year on Jason's music. They particularly liked that it was complicated enough to keep them interested. And so far, at least, we've added the piano part to only one of the selections. They all sound great w/o it even though it does add more depth.

Ann

Pictures from 2017 Expedition to the Northwest Passage -

Ann Frederking

Aug 26, 2021, 2:21:24 PM8/26/21
to Handbell-L
Yes we do and yes it does, but there are some not covered on it and there are others that want you to request permission every time you stream a selection. I just think that for new music it should be part of the purchase.