NYC: is it time again!?

Jamie W

Mar 16, 2012, 5:55:47 PM3/16/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Hey ladies, it's halfway through March, and if we're following my own
self-imposed every-two-months rule, that means it's TIME FOR ANOTHER
MEET-UP!

Kate

Mar 16, 2012, 10:20:06 PM3/16/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Yay! Last time was so much fun!

chrysopoeia

Mar 17, 2012, 12:21:38 PM3/17/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I would love for this to materialize! This will be my first meetup.

AmyRayDun

Mar 19, 2012, 12:26:59 PM3/19/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Me too for first time so let's make it happen ladies!

Christina

Mar 19, 2012, 10:04:00 PM3/19/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Yay!

And I promise I won't flake out and/or nap through it this time.

(Though I love a good nap.)

Ophelia

Mar 20, 2012, 10:29:12 AM3/20/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
When-ish are you guys thinking?

Clara

Mar 20, 2012, 10:35:02 AM3/20/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I would like to come to a pin up! I would like to play!

Jamie W

Mar 20, 2012, 2:54:11 PM3/20/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a weeknight this time? Just throwing a totally random date out, feel free to say yay or nay: April 5? Thursday?

Kate

Mar 20, 2012, 10:48:33 PM3/20/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I'm okay with April 5.

Jen!

Mar 20, 2012, 11:33:37 PM3/20/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I am such a lurking lurker, but I'm done being shy and non-
participatory. I want to come to a NYC pinup!

And April 5th works for me.

Catherine

Mar 21, 2012, 10:49:52 AM3/21/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
April 5 is a good idea. Whee! Any location suggestions?

Apples

Mar 21, 2012, 2:18:00 PM3/21/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I missed the last couple! Definitely want in on April 5.

Shirley Palma

Mar 21, 2012, 11:26:25 PM3/21/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
i've never been to a 'pinup, would love to go this round!
what's everyone's ideal neighborhood/borough? i'm in the village and
can go just about anywhere...

Rachel Kim

Mar 21, 2012, 11:37:33 PM3/21/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Yes! I've never been to a 'pinup either! April 5th sounds good, I'm
in the East Village and I'm obviously biased, so.

CrescentMelissa

Mar 22, 2012, 8:05:31 AM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I'm in midtown but anywhere sounds fun. I have a usual Thursday thing
that I will try to cxl to make it. Girls, so many things to discuss!

Are you girls all commenters? Maybe we should have name tags with our
commenter names on them. *dork*

AmyRayDun

Mar 22, 2012, 2:29:37 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
April 5th works over here too. Maybe an after-work happy hour so
there's no excuses of "I went home and accidentally napped/chickened
out/ate too much dinner so put on sweatpants and watched Parks and Rec
instead?"

E. Village is central enough, I think. Plus great bar/food options.
Suggest places!

Samantha Qualls

Mar 22, 2012, 5:14:48 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Long time listener, first time caller.

I second the East Village on April 5th. Totally excited for my first
pinup. For location suggestion, there's a cute wine bar on st.marks
between 1st and a that does a happy hour till 8?

ann aunamis

Mar 22, 2012, 5:31:09 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I'm down for 4/5, and East Village is fine with me, but can we please
go somewhere that isn't cash only, that took some of us by surprise
and sent us out on trips to sketchy ATMs while we were already a
little drunk and it was disorienting and we almost cried but then we
found the bar again?

On Mar 22, 5:14 pm, Samantha Qualls <saman...@triplepointpr.com>

Caroline

Mar 22, 2012, 5:40:16 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
EAST VILLAGE YES PLEASE. 12th street alehouse takes cards. They're not
the most inspired of bars but they have a large back room with tables.
They also have menus for ordering food from places around there. They
have a happy hour 'til 8 that's pretty solid.

Veronica Sepe

Mar 22, 2012, 5:55:46 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I've been wanting to go to one of these for a while! How about 13th
Step?

Juuuuust kidding. I'm trying to think of some EV places that have an
outside area, which would just be lovely if the weather is nice. DBA?
Boxcar?

Katie Lederer

Mar 22, 2012, 5:56:28 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I want to go to a pinup. I promise I will be brave enough this time.
(and I also think nametags with our commenter names is an awesomely
dorky idea. I would totally do it).

Erin D.

Mar 22, 2012, 6:02:35 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
are we talking 10 degrees between 1st and A, bc if so, they also have
a glorious 2 for 1 special that I have never taken advantage of during
the work day...there's a bunch of places in that area that do
something similar, and post work would be fine for me also...the place
i'm thinking of runs their happy hour from like 12-8, if that
qualifies. i have loads and loads of thesis research but I wanna make
this!

On Mar 22, 5:14 pm, Samantha Qualls <saman...@triplepointpr.com>

esther

Mar 22, 2012, 6:30:32 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I want in, yes, please! April 5th is still Week of Celebrating The
End of my God Damn Thesis, too, so I will need so many drinks!

Is it weird that I am nervous? Like...what if I am not cool enough in
person? Although, silly me, this is why we do these things at bars!

SarahBS

Mar 22, 2012, 6:38:51 PM3/22/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Yay yay yay!

EV is great and after work is also good (haha, i work from home, so that time doesn't really exist to me).

I also second name tags...how about name tags, on hairpins?!

Tara Nadolny

Mar 22, 2012, 6:55:15 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Whoops, I think I clicked the wrong thing, apologies if this is a
double post.

I'm another lurker and I've been promising myself that I would go to
the next NYC pin-up in an effort to meet more cool ladies. (Moved here
in August, still know zero people other than my roommate)

What time does after work mean? I'll have a class on Thursdays at 8,
but hopefully I can stop in the tiny window of time between work and
class?

ale

Mar 22, 2012, 7:23:55 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I am in! Yay.

Christina

Mar 22, 2012, 7:28:46 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I will try to make it! This is the day I get back from a week in
Ireland, though. So maybe I'll come hang around with some severe
jetlag.

I want to commmeeeeee have funnnnn!!!

Bonnie B

Mar 22, 2012, 8:20:33 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Yay, I'm so excited! It'll be my first pinup too, and it's during
spring break so I can definitely come!

Jaya Saxena

Mar 22, 2012, 9:12:47 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
10degrees and 12th street alehouse are both awesome! Does 10degrees
have enough room? I'd guess that NYC would bring a pretty large crowd
like last time. In the area I'd also say Grassroots Tavern (St. Marks
btwn 2nd and 3rd), Common Ground (13th and A), and HiFi (A between
10th and 11th) for places with space, a good jukebox and a credit card
machine.

liz snow

Mar 22, 2012, 10:11:06 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Common ground is inexpensive and is usually not crowded on
Thursdays... It's not a super interesting bar, but it's cheap,
convenient and spacious! And, a jukebooooxxxxx!!!!

Abby S.

Mar 22, 2012, 10:58:36 PM3/22/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Another lurker here.... I can def make it the night of April 5th and
I'm super excited for my first 'pinup! I am way uptown, so I recognize
the inevitability of me having to have a bit of a commute;
consequently, I am basically down with anywhere. Looks like somewhere
in the East Village is the consensus?
Yay Hairpin!

Shirley Palma

Mar 23, 2012, 3:49:09 AM3/23/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
based on what everyone's said on the group and the latest 'pinup
roundup here's a little summary:

consensus puts us east and downtown, with the following bar
suggestions:

magician, grassroots, Common ground, 10degrees and 12th street
alehouse, DBA, Boxcar, and.... cute wine bar on st.marks between 1st
and a.

i also added vol de nuit and bareburger for not quite east village
and seconded dba, all for having outdoor space. i also see that some
people at least want to start the 'pinup early because of 8pm
commitments so - 630 start time?

i guess reply or comment here:

http://thehairpin.com/2012/03/the-quiet-return-of-the-pinup-roundup#comments

we still need someone to bring the nametags or at least make an
obvious "here be the 'pinup" indications....................

Samantha Qualls

Mar 23, 2012, 10:47:17 AM3/23/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
that's the name of the place. 10 degrees. love that their happy hour
goes to 8, but it's kinda on the small side. i agree about 12th street
ale house, super big in the back.

jamie schuh

Mar 23, 2012, 11:54:13 AM3/23/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Yay!! I will try hardest to get out of work early to come. I met Jamie
W at the last 'Pinup, and we went bowling together and it was super
fun! Pinups are great!

Patrice

Mar 23, 2012, 1:38:48 PM3/23/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Word! I'm another first time pinner! Do we have any details about the
time? I've got class from 5:30-8 pm.

cheers to making new friends!

ann aunamis

Mar 23, 2012, 2:32:06 PM3/23/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I'm down with 12th Street Alehouse.

John Thompson

Mar 23, 2012, 3:33:13 PM3/23/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I THINK I'm good for 4/5. I have class til 8:30 so it sounds like I'll
be missing happy hour. I might also be the only dude in residence (at
least going by the names here) so... maybe I shouldn't? I don't know.
It'd be nice - Spring Break is the next day and I'll be leaving on a
jet plane for home.

ann aunamis

Mar 23, 2012, 3:45:52 PM3/23/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
No, don't let the fact that you're a guy stop you from joining a
'pinup. Of course you should come!

On Mar 23, 3:33 pm, John Thompson <john.w.thompson1...@gmail.com>

Caroline

Mar 23, 2012, 3:58:43 PM3/23/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
A dude came last time!

ann aunamis

Mar 23, 2012, 4:00:31 PM3/23/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
That sounds dirty.

Caroline

Mar 23, 2012, 4:40:36 PM3/23/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I have a habit of saying unintentionally dirty things. Oops.

Apples

Mar 24, 2012, 9:27:48 AM3/24/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Based on the options I vote 12th Street Alehouse or Common Ground. And also name tags.

Alli Cooke

Mar 24, 2012, 11:12:51 AM3/24/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
WELL I used to work at Village Pourhouse (3rd Ave & 11th) and still
have some in's... I could possibly try to get a reservation? It's a
sports bar, which doesn't necessarily scream HAIRPIN!! but it's an
option.

ann aunamis

Mar 24, 2012, 12:02:19 PM3/24/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Village Pourhouse, if you can get a reservation, is also cool. I can
work on my beer passport. Can you find out if that's possible to do,
otherwise I say 12th Street is the easiest. It also doesn't scream
HAIRPIN!!!! but we're not the kind of ladies (and gentleman) that
scream, are we?

Caroline

Mar 24, 2012, 12:09:40 PM3/24/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
12th Street has the added benefit of not usually being crowded.

Rachel K

Mar 25, 2012, 1:04:13 PM3/25/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I vote Common Ground, but only because it's super-close to my
apartment and on my way home. But hey, 2-for-1 paninis! Although
12th Street is cool too!

ann aunamis

Mar 25, 2012, 11:02:14 PM3/25/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
OK, someone needs to make a decision.  (Not me.)

Jaya Saxena

Mar 26, 2012, 10:19:40 AM3/26/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Pros and Cons!

12 Street Alehouse: Not usually crowded, large back space
Common Ground: Board games, back space
Village Pourhouse: Possible in and beer passports

Votes?

Jamie W

Mar 26, 2012, 2:23:14 PM3/26/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I do like board games, and I remember the Village Pourhouse as being kind of pricey, but maybe I am wrong. I'll go anywhere for you ladies, but if we're voting I vote 12th St. Alehouse (space!) or Common Ground (board games!).

Jacki Santiago

Mar 27, 2012, 1:51:03 PM3/27/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hello pinners! I have never been to a meetup before and am so down to lady-out with you all! I am coming ALONE LIKE A LOSER (not really? maybe a little bit) so please come talk to me and stuff and I will try to come talk to you but I'm a little shy at the beginning until I come out of my shell. Then you're like wow, get back in your shell a little bit, crazy!

Anywhere in the ole Manhattan works for me, I am not a picky lady - unless you want to meet up one 145th street, I think that is just too far, I'm going to be wearing heels, come on.

leon.sa...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2012, 9:15:12 PM3/27/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
I'm a dude, I have gone to several! They are fun, in an incredibly (for me) awkward kind of way.

ann aunamis

Mar 27, 2012, 9:42:36 PM3/27/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Any word back on the possibility of reserving space at Village Pourhouse?  If not then I say it's between Common Ground, which I've never been to, or 12th Street, an old favorite.  Board games sound fun.  Is there Jenga?

Jaya Saxena

Mar 28, 2012, 5:05:25 PM3/28/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Not sure if there's Jenga, but I know there is Connect Four!

ann aunamis

Mar 28, 2012, 8:54:31 PM3/28/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, Connect Four, that's a win.

Jamie W

Mar 29, 2012, 1:48:21 PM3/29/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
It looks like Village Pourhouse is having A Thing that night, so let's plan on Common Ground? Are we cool with that?

ann aunamis

Mar 29, 2012, 1:51:10 PM3/29/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Fine with me.

Marcia Patrice Rankine

Mar 29, 2012, 1:52:52 PM3/29/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great! What time are we thinking?

Shirley Palma

Mar 29, 2012, 10:58:38 PM3/29/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
6/630pm seemed to accommodate those who will have a late night class
AND those that may lose steam if asked to wait too long after quitting
time to leave work....

On Mar 29, 1:52 pm, Marcia Patrice Rankine <mprank...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> [...]

Caroline

Mar 29, 2012, 11:26:03 PM3/29/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Works for me!

ann aunamis

Mar 30, 2012, 4:13:26 PM3/30/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that time is good for me as well.

Claire

Apr 1, 2012, 8:20:52 PM4/1/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
That place looks great! I just moved to NYC and excited to meet
everyone!

> read more »

Jen!

Apr 2, 2012, 10:29:40 AM4/2/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Okay everyone! It looks like we've landed on a date and time and
place, so let's make it official?

Date: Thursday, April 5th, 6/6:30ish until ???
Where: Common Ground, 206 Avenue A, East Village
Who: You! Yes, you!

Has someone volunteered to bring nametags or some sort of sign/table
decoration/Pinup Bat Signal yet? If not, is someone willing to do
so?

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

Shirley Palma

Apr 2, 2012, 7:18:07 PM4/2/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
hey all - i just called common ground ( (212) 228-6231 ) to find out
if we can reserve a table for about 10 starting at 630pm. i am waiting
to hear back from the owner, and will send an update once i get
confirmation!

> read more »

Shirley Palma

Apr 2, 2012, 11:15:03 PM4/2/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
we are confirmed for common ground this thursday at 630pm!
the reservation is under "hairpin" and it's for 10-15 people.

i suppose that's enough to determine where the group is, but i'll
plaster on a nametag if anyone brings them.

> read more »

John Thompson

Apr 3, 2012, 4:32:03 AM4/3/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Okay! I'm gonna be two hours late but hopefully folks will still be
around (and not too drunk) when I arrive. My school's on Columbus
Circle so... 9ish is when I'll get there. Rough.

John

> read more »

Kris Wolff

Apr 3, 2012, 7:51:56 AM4/3/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for doing that!

bryan friedman

Apr 3, 2012, 3:51:14 PM4/3/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I just looked at the happy hour and it includes $2 Yuengling pints!
Oh, this is me saying, yes, I'll be there. see ya.

> read more »

Nina Riddel

Apr 3, 2012, 4:20:38 PM4/3/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Hell yeah! I too will come. Must work out how to pronounce Yuengling.

Amy Duty

Apr 3, 2012, 9:14:01 PM4/3/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Hey ladies! I'm new to NYC and I've never been to a 'pinup! Can I
come? I feel like That Person that invites themselves to other peoples
parties...probably because that's what I'm doing haha. I work kinda
late so hopefully I can make it before everyone's too tipsy...probably
between 9 or 10...is thas ok?

and Nina, just think of it as YING LING. or "best cheap beer" is also
acceptable ;)

On Apr 3, 4:20 pm, Nina Riddel <twothousandmilesa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hell yeah! I too will come. Must work out how to pronounce Yuengling.

Kris Wolff

Apr 3, 2012, 9:17:37 PM4/3/12
to hairpin...@googlegroups.com
Amy, you should come, of course.

And Nina, I only hope that Common Ground has Zywiec beer so we can make you try to pronounce that one.

Alli

Apr 3, 2012, 10:15:25 PM4/3/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
You guys, my roommate and I have been talking about going to a 'pinup
FOREVER, but we always get nervous and back out at the last minute.
We are both going to gather our strength and come to this one! I am
all kinds of excited!

On Apr 3, 9:17 pm, Kris Wolff <kris.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Amy, you should come, of course.
>
> And Nina, I only hope that Common Ground has Zywiec beer so we can make you
> try to pronounce that one.**

Tulle Tilsynet

Apr 3, 2012, 11:35:32 PM4/3/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
If you're going, I'm going.

Courtney

Apr 4, 2012, 5:55:16 AM4/4/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I've never been before to a pinup before and may be showing up by
myself... I can help everyone pronounce Yuengling :) Zywiec throws me
off every time.

> read more »

Theresa Borkowski

Apr 4, 2012, 9:01:02 PM4/4/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I'm in the same situation (nyc friend wise) I'm headed down around
6ish, hope everyones there

On Mar 22, 6:55 pm, Tara Nadolny <tamara.nado...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whoops, I think I clicked the wrong thing, apologies if this is a
> double post.
>
> I'm another lurker and I've been promising myself that I would go to
> the next NYC pin-up in an effort to meet more cool ladies. (Moved here
> in August, still know zero people other than my roommate)
>
> What time does after work mean? I'll have a class on Thursdays at 8,
> but hopefully I can stop in the tiny window of time between work and
> class?
>
> On Mar 22, 6:38 pm, SarahBS <sarahbradyspen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Yay yay yay!
>
> > EV is great and after work is also good (haha, i work from home, so that
> > time doesn't really exist to me).
>
> > I also second name tags...how about name tags, on hairpins?!
>
> > On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:54:11 PM UTC-4, Jamie W wrote:
>
> > > Maybe a weeknight this time? Just throwing a totally random date out, feel
> > > free to say yay or nay: April 5? Thursday?

Sarah Montgomery

Apr 5, 2012, 5:53:29 AM4/5/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Hi, I've only ever lurked before, but I'd like to come too (and so
would one of my friends)? We're really nice, I swear, even if we are
doing a little last minute crashing/adding to guest list....

On Apr 4, 9:01 pm, Theresa Borkowski <borkowski.ther...@gmail.com>

Leon Saint-Jean

Apr 5, 2012, 2:28:55 PM4/5/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
I am almost definitely going. I haven't felt awkward around a bunch of
strangers in days, I'm due.

AmyRayDun

Apr 5, 2012, 3:15:49 PM4/5/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups
Totally was planning on coming until I read Richard Lawson's piece
almost broke down over my desk.

No no, I'll be fine. See you guys tonight! Gonna be totally awkward
and fun, right!?

liz snow

Apr 5, 2012, 10:35:39 PM4/5/12
to Hairpin 'Pinups

Ahhhhhh DUDES. Was totally planning to go then got caught up at work.
Fuckin' adult obligations. No, I take that back. Fuck selling your
soul to make ends meet. Anywho, this is my troisième missing of the
NYC pinup. Sigh.

Hope y'all had a blast!

-Liz(Nieve)