Interactive Textiles Workshop...

illuminart

Feb 8, 2011, 11:57:34 PM2/8/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
INVITATION TO HACKERSPACE from ITW - a collective of regional textile
artists

Hi everyone in hackerspace!

We are a collective of textile artists - most of us live in regional
SA, the closest of us to Adelaide live in the Adelaide hills and some
of us live 5 hrs drive away!

We have a project idea for interactive textiles workshops and we are
hoping you will work with us on this.

A bit of background: Early last year we put together a project plan to
work together with an arduino programmer to help us build some
prototype kits for a textile project we have in mind. We got part of
the way there but he ended up moving overseas. We looked for another
builder but in the end didn't have much luck... but we hope you, as a
collective, might be interested in collaborating with us. So we were
wondering whether hackerspace members would be interested in working
with us in some workshops to help us build our first project concept,
(and then if anyone is interested in continuing we have some other
ideas we can tackle down the track).

Basically our big picture idea for the first project, is to help us
textile artists - who basically have a lot of skills in working with
fabric, colour etc - work on the technical and conceptual skills of
incorporating interactive electronics into our work. Some of the
issues we are wanting to explore along the way are: best way to
integrate circuitry such as lilypad arduinos, LEDs or components such
as microphones or sensors, in ways that can offer us new aesthetic
options, and will "work" if worn or put on display, or potentially
used outdoors. In some cases we might consider concealing the
circuitry and in other cases, having it as part of the aesthetic.
Basically, we are ready to play and explore, but will need the help of
some passionate arduino techies & builders.

What we have in mind is a series of workshops working with you. As not
all of our members are local to Adelaide, we propose that three or
four of our collective will meet with you once per fortnight for say
four fortnights; During this time we will develop the desired kits and
components and test them in prototype textile implementations; and
then we will travel to other regional communities (Quorn, Murray
Bridge and Mt Gambier) to share this knowledge with other members of
the collective (and if possible perhaps some of hackerspace members
might consider travelling with us for those other regional
workshops).

We have received some funding from Country Arts SA to assist us with
the costs of the arduino boards and components of the kits we would
like to build, plus travel and other costs, so perhaps some of this
funds could also be contributed towards hackerspace for venue hire and
contribution toward running costs.

The first project we have in mind is a simple one, it is based on the
idea of a traditional patchwork sampler quilt. In traditional days,
women used to make patchwork segments to show off their skills, and
then in groups they put all of the segments together to make a sampler
of everyone's work. In this case we envisage each textile artist would
create a self contained "patch" or segment, which integrated a circuit
that we have already semi-designed. Then later all of the segments
would be brought together as a quilt - which would show the different
ways that the textile artists and techs had interpreted the concept.
Our idea for the circuitry component of this is to devise a standard
interactive kit that is used on all of the segments. It would consist
of a lilypad arduino board, a plug for power rail or batteries, a
number of LEDs and a couple of sensors. (The actual circuit, program
to be written etc, and design of power and connection is where we need
your help!).

Our proposed dates for starting the project and meeting and working
with you would be flexible but here are some suggestions.

Sat March 26 1.30-4.30 PM
Sat April 9 2-5 PM 1.30-4.30 PM
Sat April 23 1.30-4.30 PM
Sat May 7 1.30-4.30 PM

(we picked these dates as we noted that they coincide with your
scheduled get togethers - if you decide you would prefer other dates
we are happy to adjust to suit you!)

We could also work weekly, or weeknights... so let us know what you
prefer. For these first workshops, our Adelaide Hills based workshop
leaders would travel down to develop the kits with you and test out
the prototypes.

After the above dates we would look at workshops as follows:

May 2011 TBC Weekend workshop in Quorn
June 2011 TBC Weekend workshop in Murray Bridge
June 2011 TBC Weekend workshop in Mt Gambier

The artists involved in the collective include the following people as
workshop leaders in their regions:

Victoria Harrison - Adelaide Hills
Karen Fennell - Adelaide Hills
Anne Griffitths - Adelaide Hills
Cindi Drennan - Quorn
Ruth Tulloch - Quorn
Di Turner - Whyalla
Pat Carter - Port Augusta
Joanne Fife - Mt Gambier/Penola

Please contact us if you would like to talk about this further and we
do hope you are interested in working with us on the project. I
(Cindi) am on the hackerspace list and you can also contact me at 0412
534 999 or ci...@illuminart.com.au.

Thanks!
Cindi Drennan
project initiator / workshop leader Quorn

Kylie Willison

Feb 9, 2011, 4:33:55 AM2/9/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
Wow and um yeah wow, can't wait to get involved in this!!!! And it will
fit in perfectly with my study this year, cert IV in Textile Arts.

Kylie :-)

> some passionate arduino techies& builders.

sighmon

Feb 9, 2011, 6:24:06 PM2/9/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
Sounds fantastic Cindi.
I'm in for a road trip & some electronic textile hacking. :-)

si.

Damien P

Feb 9, 2011, 9:03:04 PM2/9/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
That sounds like a great project Cindi, I'm keen to be involved.

Jonathan Wheare

Feb 9, 2011, 9:22:21 PM2/9/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
Seconded. I'll be quite interested to see what they have in mind.

J.

Robyn Willison

Feb 9, 2011, 9:32:34 PM2/9/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in working on this also.

Robyn

On 9/02/2011 3:27 PM, illuminart wrote:

> some passionate arduino techies& builders.

Ryan Leach

Feb 10, 2011, 1:53:01 AM2/10/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, im keen, I dont know a whole lot about electronics but im sure i
could stumble my way through. Keen to help here or in regional areas.

> --

Sent from my mobile device

Steven Pickles

Feb 10, 2011, 2:37:06 AM2/10/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
Don't get hustled people, Ryan is totally bluffing about his electronics prowess! :)

Also, I'm very keen to get interactive textiles happening at hackerspace. Secretly hoping to rope some skilled textile-smith in on my Rock-Paper-Scissors(-Lizard-Spock) glove idea.

pix

alphie

Feb 10, 2011, 5:31:09 PM2/10/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
This sounds cool, I look forward to hearing more about it.

On Feb 10, 5:37 pm, Steven Pickles <thatpix...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't get hustled people, Ryan is totally bluffing about his electronics
> prowess! :)
>
> Also, I'm very keen to get interactive textiles happening at hackerspace.
> Secretly hoping to rope some skilled textile-smith in on my
> Rock-Paper-Scissors(-Lizard-Spock) glove idea.
>
> pix
>
> On 10 February 2011 17:23, Ryan Leach <ryan.the.le...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, im keen, I dont know a whole lot about electronics but im sure i
> > could stumble my way through. Keen to help here or in regional areas.

illuminart

Feb 10, 2011, 8:24:00 PM2/10/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
Awesomeness, thanks everyone for your replies.
We are super glad that there's so many interested. If those dates I
proposed are good, then we'll start lining up what we need to bring
for the first session on 26 March. Between now and then I'll post some
info about our group and the idea for the first project.
And yes, I think a few of our textile artists will be interested in
other projects for collaboration outside of this introductory one -
we're a creative bunch and easily tempted with novel ideas ;)
Cheers all, Cindi

sighmon

Mar 4, 2011, 8:09:42 AM3/4/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia

illuminart

Mar 8, 2011, 7:01:40 PM3/8/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
Interactive Textiles Workshop Au Go Go.

Hi all! Hope format festival and all the associated projects were as
rocking as it all has sounded.

We are getting ready to get together with Hackerspace to have some
experimental fun over a number of sessions, working out how to build a
collaborative interactive textile project with you.
In order to prepare for our first event (26th March) and the
subsequent sessions, we thought it would be a good idea to do a bit of
planning about what stuff will be needed and purchase if necessary. I
would like to invite those more technically inclined, to get together
with me via online conference or skype, so we can work out a bit of a
plan for ordering stuff or at least who should bring what. I have a
budget to purchase stuff we might need, but will need your assistance
to do this because I am floating out in cyberspace for now and
probably will not get to meet you all in the flesh for some time. So
who would like to have a bit of a planning get together and help us
make sure we have enough materials to kick start the project? I am
proposing a prep meeting, that might occur at the end of your regular
hackerspace session on 19th March. If someone is wired (or at least
has their laptop & connection handy), I could skype in to the group
then. We can chat about it here too, but I thought it might be good to
have a small realtime session with a few heads onto it, to come up
with a basic plan.

So, anyone interested? What say you to have a skype at around 4 PM
your time on the 19th March? Or suggest a better time if you have
one!

Standing by...
Cindi ~ Illuminart

Steven Pickles

Mar 8, 2011, 8:03:04 PM3/8/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com

Hi Cindi,

The 19th is during an off-week so there will be no session. Maybe this Saturday (the 12th) would be better?

pix

// sent from a mobile device

sighmon

Mar 9, 2011, 6:19:51 PM3/9/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
I got a littlebird email this morning iwth some interesting textile
bits and pieces:

http://littlebirdelectronics.com/search?q=fabrickit

Also happy to join the skype conversation, what's your skype name
Cindi?

si.

On Mar 9, 11:03 am, Steven Pickles <thatpix...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Cindi,
>
> The 19th is during an off-week so there will be no session. Maybe this
> Saturday (the 12th) would be better?
>
> pix
>
> // sent from a mobile device

illuminart

Mar 17, 2011, 1:43:37 AM3/17/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
Sorry didn't realize that it was an off week. I think you are right,
that the 12th would have been better! But as we have missed that date,
we will meet on the 26th anyway and have that as the planning session
for the following weeks. I'll suggest a few things over the next few
days, as to what we will be bringing, and so on!
Cindi

Robyn Willison

Mar 17, 2011, 9:34:18 PM3/17/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Here's the start of a shopping list for discussion

lead free soldering irons
lead free solder
lead free soldering iron tip cleaner
flux
flux remover
tinned copper wire
copper wire
solder sucker/syringe
solder wick
"helping hands" a tool that holds your work in clips includes a
magnifying glass
pliers pointy tip not serrated
pliers flat tip (like screwdriver) not serrated
side cutters with a flat cutting face so as not to leave sharp points
files that can file wire smooth

Robyn

Ken

Mar 17, 2011, 10:08:51 PM3/17/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
And just to stir the pot along the lines of my preferred tools...

Pointy nose pliers with fine serrations.
Resin-cored solder wire with lotsa lead.  Fine for fine work, thicker for big solder joints.
Flux remover == metho, apply with cotton-buds.
Dick Smith magnifiers that go on your head (OK, I have old eyes).
Small bench vise with either some weight in it, or a vacuum sucker on the bottom, and a matching bench surface.
Wire comes smooth.  Do you buy rough wire, Robyn?
Unless you are dealing with very fine work, eg surface-mount components, solder-wick is not needed (provided you have a good sucker).
Since I use flux-cored solder, I rarely need externally-applied flux (last used when I re-soldered a small pin-spacing surface mount chip).
More important than flux, is very clean surfaces being soldered.
Steel wool, or scotchbrite, or brass wire brush are all useful in cleaning up dirty surfaces (as well as that small file).

Ken.

Robyn Willison

Mar 18, 2011, 12:34:37 AM3/18/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken

The interactive textiles are for wearing so unless you want scratches
from cut wire then filing is the way to go.

Some people at Hackerspace have been using Lead Free & Non Resin Cored
Solder, it's a preference thing. Last time we did lots of soldering
downstairs we had a smog level.

Wooden boards for putting work on while soldering ie thin chopping boards.

Robyn

On 18/03/2011 12:38 PM, Ken wrote:
> And just to stir the pot along the lines of my preferred tools...
>

> Pointy nose pliers /with/ fine serrations.

> Resin-cored solder wire with lotsa lead. Fine for fine work, thicker
> for big solder joints.
> Flux remover == metho, apply with cotton-buds.
> Dick Smith magnifiers that go on your head (OK, I have old eyes).
> Small bench vise with either some weight in it, or a vacuum sucker on
> the bottom, and a matching bench surface.
> Wire comes smooth. Do you buy rough wire, Robyn?
> Unless you are dealing with very fine work, eg surface-mount components,
> solder-wick is not needed (provided you have a good sucker).
> Since I use flux-cored solder, I rarely need externally-applied flux
> (last used when I re-soldered a small pin-spacing surface mount chip).
> More important than flux, is very clean surfaces being soldered.
> Steel wool, or scotchbrite, or brass wire brush are all useful in
> cleaning up dirty surfaces (as well as that small file).
>
> Ken.
>

> On 18 March 2011 12:04, Robyn Willison <ro...@robynspcs.com

Ken

Mar 18, 2011, 1:22:21 AM3/18/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
If there are any old radio people among this lot, then maybe they have some litz wire they don't need.
I reckon it would be good for use with fabrics.
Telstra used to have some great cotton covered wire. But in the very old days, it was laced with arsenic.

Neither of us mentioned... temperature controlled soldering iron. (My trusty old Weller W60D does anything from lead-light to fine stuff.)

Ken.

Kim Hawtin

Mar 18, 2011, 1:24:28 AM3/18/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
Evening all,

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Ken <k...@waggies.net> wrote:
> And just to stir the pot along the lines of my preferred tools...
>
> Pointy nose pliers with fine serrations.
> Resin-cored solder wire with lotsa lead.

60/40 tin/lead is pretty much a requirement for anything 'we' would
want to work on at RF frequencies.
defining RF frequencies as anything above about 100KHz.
I have had to completely rebuild from scratch a couple of kits i
picked up recently with 60/40 as they were built with lead free
solder.
things stop working and get hot for no obvious reason... this includes
any micro processor you might want to use.
if you need to use 60/40 or similar, put it in a container.

if you are interested in why, with your favorite search engine, look
for 'tin whiskers'

if you are dealing with low current/DC or AC at audio frequencies,
then lead free solder is unlikely to cause mayhem ;)

> Small bench vise with either some weight in it, or a vacuum sucker on the

DSE used to sell a wonderful little table edge vise, and still might.
I believe that Aztronics sell one similar now.
Jaycar do a nifty 'hold all' with a pair of large allogator clips and
magnifying glass.

> Since I use flux-cored solder, I rarely need externally-applied flux (last

multicore flux solder is the only way to go. so much less mess.

regards,

Kim
--
"Art without engineering is dreaming; engineering without art is
calculating."  --SKR

Kim Hawtin

Mar 18, 2011, 1:27:32 AM3/18/11
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Ken <k...@waggies.net> wrote:
> If there are any old radio people among this lot, then maybe they have some
> litz wire they don't need.

seems to be as rare as hens teeth now a days and any HAMs i've found
that have some wouldn't part with it.

> I reckon it would be good for use with fabrics.
> Telstra used to have some great cotton covered wire. But in the very old
> days, it was laced with arsenic.

little bird electronics sell conductive thread which is probably more
suitable anyway.
i doesn't take well to solder, but most folk seem to use it to sew to
the devices in question directly.

Robert Hart

Mar 18, 2011, 1:40:08 AM3/18/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
Litz wire that the stuff,

It is used in Low and Medium Frequency RF Inductors.  It uses very fine multi-stranded enamel (insulated with enamel) wire wrapped together with cotton or some other synthetic fibre, needs a hot iron and is quite strong for its size.

Found sum on ebay http://shop.ebay.com/mkmak222/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

An alternative is to unravel the wire on AM Radio Antenna Bars,  Its the Black Bar wrapped in wire.

I see Jaycar sell them here - http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LF1020&keywords=antenna&form=KEYWORD

Robert
robert.vcf

Robert Hart

Mar 18, 2011, 1:44:19 AM3/18/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
robert.vcf

Kim Hawtin

Mar 18, 2011, 1:50:50 AM3/18/11
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Robert Hart <rob...@hardhack.org.au> wrote:
> Its seems it still being made and available on a spool
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/10-46-Litz-Wire-Loop-Antenna-Ham-Crystal-Radio-200-ft-/160558259535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2562049d4f

it is quite amazing what you can find on ebay!

cheers,

Robert Hart

Mar 18, 2011, 1:57:54 AM3/18/11
On 18/03/2011 4:20 PM, Kim Hawtin wrote:
> it is quite amazing what you can find on ebay!

Very true but, I find with my exotic taste for electronics, I rarely
find anything I need on www.ebay.com.au for some reason? even if I tick
international? so I just go to www.ebay.com and all countries come up
Italy, Ukraine, Greece and Australia - what's that about?

robert.vcf

Janet Hawtin

Mar 18, 2011, 4:12:09 AM3/18/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
Here is someone else's shopping list
http://hlt.media.mit.edu/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.PrototypingSupplies

Cheers
Janet

Robyn Willison

Mar 18, 2011, 8:10:26 AM3/18/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Janet

I missed wire strippers from my list.

I don't know the Arduino side of what to bring. Can we start an Arduino
list of what do bring.

Cheers

Robyn

Steven Pickles

Mar 18, 2011, 8:07:36 PM3/18/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure Cindi has something more like this in mind:

A much higher level of abstraction, aesthetically nicer and more accessible for a textile artist moving into interactivity.

I have a lilypad, some conductive thread, conductive fabric and maybe a sewable led or two to have a play with.

pix

illuminart

Mar 18, 2011, 9:06:44 PM3/18/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
I suggest bring what you can. The textile artists who aren't on this
list already... will be bringing fabric and other things. I am hoping
to give a 20 minute presentation either via skype or gotomeeting (or
both!) from my home town of Quorn, where I will have some other people
who are planning to be involved in the workshop up there later this
year. So this first session will be a chance for you all to "meet"
each other and hear about the overall idea, and we'll work out plans
for how to do things over the next 8 weeks.

So for the meeting - My skype name is cindidrennan if anyone wants to
buzz me (I am hardly ever running it except when a meeting is actually
booked in (cos I'd get interrupted all the time - my mobs is bad
enough already!)) But of course I will have it running during the
sesh. I have been subscribing to a web conference tool called Goto
Meeting and finding this really good for presentations (it presents
the desktop and provides an audioconference for up to 15 connections).
So I will schedule this in as a meeting for each of our proposed
sessions as well, so myself and some of the regional artists can
listen in.

So aside from the obvious questions about "what gear to bring" and
"who is coming" and "what's the project" - are there some other
questions that will help me in putting together my presentation? Fire
away! I've got a week, haven't I :)

Damien P

Mar 18, 2011, 10:13:40 PM3/18/11
On Mar 18, 11:34 am, Robyn Willison <ro...@robynspcs.com> wrote:

> Here's the start of a shopping list for discussion

There's probably no need to get too carried away at the moment, as
long as they have basic tools (pliers etc); whoever of us helps with
the project will probably have the rest.

Once we know *what* we're trying to build, we can work out which parts
and consumables we need.

illuminart

Mar 26, 2011, 3:50:54 AM3/26/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia, jha5...@bigpond.net.au, anne-...@hotmail.co.uk, cudd...@adam.com.au, ju...@bigpond.net.au
Hi everyone! Thanks for meeting up at Hackerspace and talking about
the Interactive Textiles Workshop. I hope it was a good start, meeting
up and throwing about some ideas.
I will be looking forward to hearing what you need as far as
materials, or anything else.
Let us know any ideas that have come up. Those of us who aren't in
Adelaide are looking forward to hearing what you are thinking about
and what the process is like for you. Also a bit of a request...
please take photos at your upcoming workshops and post them to me at
in...@illuminart.com.au - (this is one of the formalities for the grant
funding from Country Arts SA, but we could also use them to promote
the project in general).
Hope it all went well... thanks for your help with the tech, pix!
Cindi

Steven Pickles

Mar 26, 2011, 7:15:43 PM3/26/11
to hackerspac...@googlegroups.com, illuminart, jha5...@bigpond.net.au, anne-...@hotmail.co.uk, cudd...@adam.com.au, ju...@bigpond.net.au
Hi Cindi,

It was a great meeting. It will be good to get a bit more hands on with stuff at the next meeting, but there were lots of ideas discussed.

Jon was putting together a page on the wiki with some of the relevant links while we were talking:

I will put together an order soon with some fun bits and pieces to experiment with.

pix

illuminart

Mar 28, 2011, 7:15:35 PM3/28/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
Fantastic. Thanks Jon for setting up the wiki page. I will think of
some things to add!
Pix, Give me a hoy when the order is ready to sort out!
Also, if you need anything else materials wise!

Cindi

illuminart

Apr 6, 2011, 6:53:45 AM4/6/11
to HackerSpace - Adelaide, South Australia
Pix put together the order for little bird yesterday. Apparently they
are busy with a wedding(!), so it is quite possible it will not arrive
in time for the hackerspace session on Saturday...

so... how is this for an idea in the meantime...
... the textile artists have requested could people please bring
their electronics, lilypads and LEDs, so there are elements to work
with this weekend. You would be reimbursed or have the item replaced
when the order comes in.
What do you think... if you have something on the order below then
maybe bring it in so we can get underway with some play, even if the
order hasn't actually arrived.

It seems that the textile artists have some strong ideas already. it
would be good to talk together to make sure that they understand what
is realistic and what needs to be tested. But then again, if the ideas
seem doable or you can see a way to play with this together, I would
say go for it.

On Saturday I'll be there in spirit, but physically dwelling at
Vitalztatistix (Port Adelaide) for a project meeting. (Need to sort
out that cloning technology, people! :) )

Thanks for your help with that order, pix, it was a bit to get
through!

STAGE 1 ORDER:

Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 3.3V/8MHz DEV-09220 1
EL Wire - Green 3m COM-10194 1
EL Wire - Blue 3m COM-10195 1
EL Wire - Orange 3m COM-10193 1
EL Inverter - 3v COM-10201 1
LilyPad Accelerometer ADXL335 DEV-09267 1
Conductive Thread (Thick) - 50' DEV-10120 1
Conductive Fabric - 12"x13" MedTex130 DEV-10070 1
LilyPad Slide Switch DEV-09350 1
LilyPad LED White (5pcs) DEV-10081 1
LilyPad LED Yellow (5pcs) DEV-10047 1
LilyPad LED Blue (5pcs) DEV-10045 1
LilyPad LED Green (5pcs) DEV-10046 1
LilyPad LED Red (5pcs) DEV-10044 1
LilyPad Protoboard Small DEV-09102 1
LilyPad Protoboard Large DEV-09101 1
LilyPad Button Board DEV-08776 5
16mm Speaker: 16 Ohm, 0.5 W 1259 1
LilyPad Buzzer DEV-08463 1
LilyPad Bobbin DEV-09384 1
Conductive Thread (Thin) - 50' DEV-10118 1
Conductive Thread (Extra Thick) - 50' DEV-10119 1
Conductive Fabric - 12"x13" Ripstop DEV-10056 1
Conductive Fabric - 12"x13" MedTex180 DEV-10055 1
LilyPad Vibe Board DEV-08468 1
LilyPad Tri-Color LED DEV-08467 1
LilyPad Temperature Sensor DEV-08777 1
LilyPad Light Sensor DEV-08464 1
Conductive Ribbon - 1 Yard DEV-10172 1
LilyPad Arduino 328 Main Board DEV-09266 1