Next Hackergarten - Android - Wednesday 28 September

Hamlet D'Arcy

Sep 14, 2011, 2:00:29 AM9/14/11
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

The next Hackergarten is an Android Night. We are going to work
together to create and publish an Android app in one night!

My co-worker, Andreas Hölzl, has agreed to come and help us with the
process. He has quite a bit of Android experience and is presenting a
few workshops this Autumn (at ch/open and SoftShake).

The application is not 100% decided yet. However, we need to decide on
the app on this mailing list *before* the session starts.

Here is out first and only idea:

Bash-o-matic - A native and web-based Android app that serves you a
Bash command of the day. The goal is to help you become a more expert
Bash user. This is a good, small task for some teams. The task list
is:
* Write native client - Command Display, Refresh Button, About Screen,
possibly a "Random" button
* Write backend service (can be hosted at Canoo)
* Create graphics for device
* Create webpage where users can download the .apk
* Get into App Marketplace
* Create automated build and deploy

This should be fun. Bring your Android devices if you have one, your
laptop if you have one. Canoo buys drinks and food, as usual.

Thanks,

--
Hamlet D'Arcy
haml...@gmail.com

Markus Schlichting

Sep 14, 2011, 3:28:33 AM9/14/11
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Yay that date is perfect for me, finally a hackergarten a can (and will) attent to :-)
Looking forward to hack with you,especially with a mobile context :D

Andy Woodly

Sep 15, 2011, 8:49:28 AM9/15/11
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Celebration!

... "Andrei Android" will be there too! :-)

We both just had a talk over lunch about app ideas.
Our favorite would be a special hackergarten app!
On a server component you would enter upcoming hackergarten events (time and location).
If you attend an event you can check in with the app at the hackergarten location and get points.
Depending your aggregated points you'll be a "newbie", a "regular", "veteran" or thelike.
We could show the data nicely on the web too (using groovy/grails tech...).

If we'll be many, working on a single app will be crowded, so we could do a few apps.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Andreas

Hamlet D'Arcy

Sep 16, 2011, 3:01:25 AM9/16/11
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
I think the hackergarten custom app is a good idea. Can you break your
idea down into small tasks that take 2-3 hours to complete? We need to
create a small set of user stories now so we don't waste time in the
meeting.

Andy Woodly

Sep 21, 2011, 6:38:45 AM9/21/11
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
User stories
-----------------

As a Hackergarten member I want to register with the Hackergarten event mgmt. system (username, email, password, short_description_of_myself).

I want to log into the system and have the login credentials being stored in my preferences.

As a hackergarten member I want to add a new Hackergarten event (name, description, location, start_time, end_time). The specification of a location could be lat/long, text (usaging a geocoder to get coordinates) or via a map.

I want to retrieve a list of all Hackergarten events. I do want a filter all / only upcoming events.
I want to see the details of a Hackergarten event (all event info plus list of checked in attendees) including the location on a map.
Optionally I want to edit / delete an event.

At a Hackergarten event I want to "check in" to the event with a simple button click. Other Gartenhackers might receive a push notification upon that.

I want to have a "hall of fame" view too, where all registered Gartenhackers are listed and assigned a status ("newbie", "veteran", "chief garten officer") depending on the number of checkins to events in the past.

any comments or modifications welcome,

Andreas

Hamlet D'Arcy

Sep 21, 2011, 7:20:30 AM9/21/11
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
OK, I am excited for this.

I will add a user story: I want the user list to integrate with
Google accounts so that I use the same account on the mailing list as
I use in the hackergarten app.

And one more: I want to be able to print a user's profile in "trading
card" form. I've always wanted to be on a trading card.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Andy Woodly

Andrei Socaciu

Sep 23, 2011, 9:26:03 AM9/23/11
to hackergarten
So, just 5 days to go ... time to prepare your development
environment. You'll need Eclipse with the Android Developer Tools
(ADT) and the Android SDK. Here's the install guide from Google:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html
Also if you want to try the App on your own Android phone, check out
the following page:
http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html
You might need to install some drivers or stuff like that if you're
running Windows or Linux.

Looking forward to my first Hackergarten!
> > 2011/9/16 Hamlet D'Arcy <hamlet...@gmail.com>
>
> >> I think the hackergarten custom app is a good idea. Can you break your
> >> idea down into small tasks that take 2-3 hours to complete? We need to
> >> create a small set of user stories now so we don't waste time in the
> >> meeting.

> >> --
> >> Hamlet D'Arcy
> >> hamlet...@gmail.com
>
> --
> Hamlet D'Arcy
> hamlet...@gmail.com

Christoph Sperle

Sep 27, 2011, 2:08:12 PM9/27/11
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
I will be there. My train arrives at 17.30 in Basel. Preparing my computer...

Johannes Buehler

Sep 27, 2011, 2:44:43 PM9/27/11
to hacker...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I can't join this time.
Be the code with you!
Johannes

Lars Fischer

Sep 28, 2011, 10:21:26 AM9/28/11
to hackergarten
Sorry, can't make it tonight, maybe next time.

Have fun, Lars