Media Silos

sparkx

Mar 18, 2008, 12:49:30 PM3/18/08
to habari-users
Has everyone else found that the media silos "just work" in .4? Or is
there something more to do, other than activating the plugins, before
using them? I have enabled both the simple file and flickr silos, but
both of them give me the same result. When I click to open either, the
silo section expands as it should, but rather than see any files, all
I get is a link to Root that does nothing. The authorization for
flickr went as expected, and my habari now shows up in the flickr
accounts as being connected.

A possible hangup, as it has caused problems before, is that I am
running this on Solaris. I'm just looking for more information about
what should be happening before I persue it further.

rick c

Mar 18, 2008, 1:29:34 PM3/18/08
to habari-users
I haven't used the flickr silo, but with the simple file silo I've
found that I need to manually create a 'files' directory under the
user directory in order for uploads to work. After I do, I can upload
to that one directory (I've used images), and place the image in my
post by double-clicking on the image.

A patch has been submitted for the simple file silo to create/change
directories, but it hasn't been incorporated into the plugin yet.

Rick

sparkx

Mar 18, 2008, 1:49:47 PM3/18/08
to habari-users
I tried that rick. After creating a files directory in user, I get the
same result. I even tried it with the permissions set to 777 to rule
out any sort of error there. I still have no ability to upload and I
can't see images that I dropped in that folder.

rick c

Mar 18, 2008, 2:19:31 PM3/18/08
to habari-users
I'm sorry that didn't help, sparkx. You've passed by level of
competence. :(

Rick

Michael C. Harris

Mar 19, 2008, 7:18:48 PM3/19/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com

Hmm, that's hard to debug. Are you using Firefox? Do you have Firebug
installed? If the answer to those questions is yes, can you see the
request being made in the console? What's the response?

--
Michael C. Harris, School of CS&IT, RMIT University
http://twofishcreative.com/michael/blog

sparkx

Mar 19, 2008, 10:30:11 PM3/19/08
to habari-users
Michael,

I've never used Firebug before, but just installed it. I'm not exactly
sure what I'm looking at, but hopefully this helps. I opened Firebug
and then clicked to open the silo. This line appeared in the Firebug
console in red.

POST http://eruditorum.co.uk/admin_ajax/media500 (7979ms) jquery.js
(line 11)

The Post tab shows this:

path Local+Files

and the Response tab shows this:

The Flickr silo results in the same result. The only difference being
that the Post tab shows:

path Flickr

sparkx

On Mar 19, 4:18 pm, "Michael C. Harris" <michael.twof...@gmail.com>

Michael C. Harris

Mar 19, 2008, 11:31:13 PM3/19/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com, Habari Dev
On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 07:30:11PM -0700, sparkx wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I've never used Firebug before, but just installed it. I'm not exactly
> sure what I'm looking at, but hopefully this helps. I opened Firebug
> and then clicked to open the silo. This line appeared in the Firebug
> console in red.
>
> POST http://eruditorum.co.uk/admin_ajax/media500 (7979ms) jquery.js
> (line 11)

What you're looking at here is the communication between your browser
and the server. Basically, the Habari JavaScript in the browser is
asking Habari on the server what it should display for the silo.

> The Post tab shows this:
>
> path Local+Files
>
> and the Response tab shows this:

The Response tab should change to some JSON that tells Habari's
JavaScript what to display. If it stays at "Loading..." then it isn't
getting an answer back from the server. It's happening for both Flickr
and the Simple File Silo, so it's not your Flickr credentials.

I'm at a bit of a loss without getting my hands on your system. Devs,
any ideas?

blumonkey

Apr 12, 2008, 12:53:38 PM4/12/08
to habari-users
All I get when I try to upload files is:
Invalid Label
http://apps.blumonkey.org/scripts/jquery.js
Responsedata = Error: move_uploaded_file (.....

Any ideas?

On Mar 19, 11:31 pm, "Michael C. Harris" <michael.twof...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 07:30:11PM -0700, sparkx wrote:
>
> > Michael,
>
> > I've never used Firebug before, but just installed it. I'm not exactly
> > sure what I'm looking at, but hopefully this helps. I opened Firebug
> > and then clicked to open the silo. This line appeared in the Firebug
> > console in red.
>
> > POSThttp://eruditorum.co.uk/admin_ajax/media500(7979ms) jquery.js

Michael C. Harris

Apr 12, 2008, 3:02:05 PM4/12/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 09:53:38AM -0700, blumonkey wrote:

> All I get when I try to upload files is:
> Invalid Label
> http://apps.blumonkey.org/scripts/jquery.js
> Responsedata = Error: move_uploaded_file (.....

Try creating a writable directory called user/files.

blumonkey

Apr 12, 2008, 5:40:49 PM4/12/08
to habari-users
Thank you, I created one, but I am still unable to do anything
I ftp'd a txt file and a image into the files folder, but neither show
up, all I have now is a root link that does nothing...

No option to upload etc...

On Apr 12, 3:02 pm, "Michael C. Harris" <michael.twof...@gmail.com>

ringmaster

Apr 12, 2008, 7:46:32 PM4/12/08
to habari-users
wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 07:30:11PM -0700, sparkx wrote:
>
> > Michael,
>
> > I've never used Firebug before, but just installed it. I'm not exactly
> > sure what I'm looking at, but hopefully this helps. I opened Firebug
> > and then clicked to open the silo. This line appeared in the Firebug
> > console in red.
>
> > POSThttp://eruditorum.co.uk/admin_ajax/media500(7979ms) jquery.js
> > (line 11)
>
> What you're looking at here is the communication between your browser
> and the server. Basically, the Habari JavaScript in the browser is
> asking Habari on the server what it should display for the silo.

The trick being that the "500" at the end of that URL is not part of
the URL, but the response from the server. An error response, one
that is a server error, not a Habari error.

My advice is to check your Apache error log and see if there's
anything in there for when you try to access the silo.

Owen

stan

May 12, 2008, 2:39:58 AM5/12/08
to habari-users
Hi

Anyone ever found an answer to this problem ? I have exactly the same
thing happening to me.

Stan

Michael C. Harris

May 12, 2008, 2:52:21 AM5/12/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com

Do you mean you don't get any content returned when you click on a
silo? What version of Habari are you using? What silos have you tried?
If you're trying the Simple File Silo, does the /user/files directory
exist?

stanislas mazurek

May 12, 2008, 4:14:59 AM5/12/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
Hi

sorry for the previous bit of laziness, its been a long day at work ..
problem fixed, explanations and related note below.

explanations:

I installed latest stable version, ie 0.4.1, activated silo plugins
youtube (0.1), local files (1.0) and flickr (1.0 + authorized it
without any problem), but then when clicking on each silo the only
thing i got was a useless root link and nothing else. Pretty much
everything described by -sparkx-, including trying to create the
user/files directory, setting a 777 chmod on it and firebug debugging
(Ajax Response : Loading...)

So I looked at my error log :PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined
function json_encode() in
/opt/nginx/html/hwto/system/classes/adminhandler.php on line 1255

I have php 5.2.1 installed but php -i tells me "--enable-json=shared"
and a quick look at php.ini later, yes the extension is missing, so
added "extension=json.so", restarted and now it (kind of, see below)
works.

For the record, I'm on a Joyent Accelerator opensolaris box, so if
you're like me (sparkx?) be sure to check your php.ini

ps. related note, would be nice to warn about the user/files directory
creation requirement, maybe the info is already somewhere but I've yet
to come accross it..

otherwise, works like a charm now, and habari is amazing :P

stanislas mazurek

May 12, 2008, 4:18:00 AM5/12/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
oh yeah, forgot to remove the - kind of, see below - part.. took me
like 2 minutes to figure out i had to double click in order to insert
the link..

Michael C. Harris

May 12, 2008, 5:16:16 AM5/12/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 05:14:59PM +0900, stanislas mazurek wrote:

> Hi
>
> sorry for the previous bit of laziness, its been a long day at work ..
> problem fixed, explanations and related note below.

Good to see you got it working, and thanks for the explanation. We
currently check that several modules are enabled, but json is not one
of them. I've opened a ticket.

> I installed latest stable version, ie 0.4.1, activated silo plugins

> youtube (0.1) ...

This isn't fully functional yet. Feel free to open tickets on trac
(http://trac.habariproject.org/habari-extras) for problems and feature
requests.

> ps. related note, would be nice to warn about the user/files directory
> creation requirement, maybe the info is already somewhere but I've yet
> to come accross it..

You're definitely right. Some fine tuning of the Simple File Silo
is on our radar, and there's a ticket open for this particular issue
too.

> otherwise, works like a charm now, and habari is amazing :P

That's great to hear :)

sparkx

May 12, 2008, 1:13:04 PM5/12/08
to habari-users
Thanks Stanislas. I am on joyent as well, so I'll try this when I get
a chance.

On May 12, 1:14 am, "stanislas mazurek" <stanislasmazu...@gmail.com>