Habari Party 2009

1 view

Scott Merrill

Aug 11, 2009, 9:52:46 AM8/11/09
to Habari Users
Hi everyone.

The Habari community is planning a get together on Saturday, September
12 in lovely Columbus, Ohio. We'll be meeting at the Downtown
Technology Center:
http://www.downtowntechcenter.com/index.html

The idea is to have an opportunity to work in real time on some Habari
features, get to know one another a little better in a social context,
and to chat about Habari with people who want to learn more. My vision
for the day is to have something of a "hack-a-thon" in the morning
geared for current Habari users and developers, followed by open
discussion in the afternoon geared more toward "the general public"
who might be curious about Habari. In the evening, we can all retire
somewhere for dinner and drinks.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, do please share them. If you
plan to join us, please speak up so I can have a rough headcount.

Thanks!
Scott

mikelietz

Aug 12, 2009, 11:40:37 AM8/12/09
to habari-users
I'll be there.

Michael C. Harris

Aug 12, 2009, 5:01:19 PM8/12/09
to habari...@googlegroups.com
2009/8/11 Scott Merrill <ski...@skippy.net>:

> If you have any ideas or suggestions, do please share them. If you
> plan to join us, please speak up so I can have a rough headcount.

I leave this Sunday, and will arrive in Columbus on 11 September for
Habari Party. It takes a long time to get there from Australia.

--
Michael C. Harris, School of CS&IT, RMIT University
http://twofishcreative.com/michael/blog

Elizabeth Naramore

Aug 12, 2009, 5:04:19 PM8/12/09
to habari...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there also, and hopefully bringing someone along - so count us in for 2 more.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Chris J. Davis

Aug 12, 2009, 5:07:08 PM8/12/09
to habari...@googlegroups.com
Still trying to get everything sorted so i can be there. Make my
attendance tentative.

Sean T Evans

Aug 12, 2009, 6:43:19 PM8/12/09
to habari...@googlegroups.com
I am planning on attending and bringing TBWITWW and the BHSE with me.
We're thinking we may make a short vacation of it and stay in the area a
few days.
--
Sean T. Evans

Michael Bishop

Aug 13, 2009, 10:11:13 AM8/13/09
to habari-users
Will be flying in on Friday, out on Monday. Lock up your women and
hide your booze!

~miklb

Scott Merrill

Aug 21, 2009, 9:25:48 AM8/21/09
to Habari Users
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Scott Merrill<ski...@skippy.net> wrote:
> The Habari community is planning a get together on Saturday, September
> 12 in lovely Columbus, Ohio. We'll be meeting at the Downtown
> Technology Center:
>   http://www.downtowntechcenter.com/index.html

Thanks to everyone who has RSVPed so far. If you haven't yet, do
please let us know whether you'll be joining us.

I'll be holding a casual meet-and-greet on Friday, September 11 at my
house. If you know where I live, great. If you need the address and
directions, please contact me off-list (ski...@skippy.net). This will
be a purely social evening: an opportunity to put faces to names, meet
spouses and significant others, and drink my homebrew beer. :)

Saturday, September 12, we'll meet at the Downtown Technology Center
and dig into Habari. If anyone has a topic or discussion they'd like
to lead, please step forward! I don't want Saturday to be an
uncoordinated event, and would hate for it to be a real-life
reproduction of the #habari chat room. :) This is our chance to plan
out and work on complex features, fix problems, and make Habari kick
even more ass.

Saturday afternoon I'd like to open things up to the general public.
If anyone would like to offer Habari introductions ("How to move from
WordPress to Habari", "How to write a Habari theme", "How to write a
Habari plugin", "Why Habari is better than every other blog package
for your next site!") please let me know! If we don't have sessions
planned, we can't advertise. If we don't advertise, no one will come.
I really would like to reach out to the general blogging community (at
least those in Columbus, OH) and advocate Habari.

Saturday evening we'll find a venue for food and beverages, and let
conversations wander where they may. We're all interesting people with
interesting hobbies and passions about of PHP blogging applications.
Let's get to know one another a little more.

I have no special plans for Sunday. If folks want to get back
together, I'm all for it.

Cheers,
Scott

William Chambers

Sep 2, 2009, 12:26:32 AM9/2/09
to habari-users
I'm a 'very' new (as in 2 hours actual toying and 3 days reading the
wiki/forum) habari user but since I'm already in Columbus I'll be
attending. Hopefully a good chance to get a better picture of things
and meet new people.

Question: Is there some timeframe of "morning"? (Like what time I
should head over?) And is there any need for help setting up etc?
Because I'd be happy to help.

William

Scott Merrill

Sep 2, 2009, 6:38:11 AM9/2/09
to habari...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:26 AM, William Chambers<biose...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a 'very' new (as in 2 hours actual toying and 3 days reading the
> wiki/forum) habari user but since I'm already in Columbus I'll be
> attending. Hopefully a good chance to get a better picture of things
> and meet new people.

Welcome aboard, William!

Contact me off-list if you'd like to join us on Friday for a more
social meet-and-greet at my place. We'll be tapping my first batch of
kegged homebrew beer. ;)

> Question: Is there some timeframe of "morning"? (Like what time I
> should head over?) And is there any need for help setting up etc?
> Because I'd be happy to help.

We're still nailing down the schedule. I think morning means 9:30 or
10. Not too early, but not too late. We're not feeding people on
Saturday, so we should start late enough that folks can enjoy a
leisurely breakfast on their own before heading downtown to geek out.

There's not much to set up. The Downtown Technology Center has a
couple conference rooms that are furnished. We'll be using these.
Thanks for your offer, but I think we're okay.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Cheers,
Scott

Su

Sep 2, 2009, 5:42:00 AM9/2/09
to habari...@googlegroups.com
I'm considering a drive in from Chicago, if I can work out some logistics.
I've been watching and occasionally toying with Habari for a while,
but this'll give me an excuse to spend some intensive time with it.

Chris Everest

Sep 8, 2009, 11:08:37 AM9/8/09
to habari-users
Since, I am local to Columbus, I am planning to join the party on
Saturday. I am not 'officially' a habari user as of yet, but I would
really enjoy the opportunity to hear about the project and it's
direction. I am a technical person more than a 'blogger', but I do
have my creative moments. Maybe you folks can convert me from my
Drupal dependence (that of which has become very complex).

I will not be available Friday unfortunately, but hopefully that won't
be set me back to far.

-Chris Everest