question on pingback error

Andy C

Apr 2, 2008, 10:54:03 PM4/2/08
to habari-users
Latest SVN - pingback enabled. Created a post referencing other blog
articles.

http://www.nbrightside.com/blog/2008/04/02/resurrection-of-disqus-comments

I am pretty sure the URL links were well formed and I can click
through to the referenced site. The pingback plugin is activated.

Admin-Logs now shows

17 - The source URL does not contain a link to the target URL, and so
cannot be used as a source. (Source:
http://www.nbrightside.com/blog/2008/04/02/resurrection-of-disqus-comments
| Target: http://shegeeks.net/great-quality-customer-support-with-disqus/

Any ideas ?

Scott Merrill

Apr 3, 2008, 9:42:24 AM4/3/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Andy C <andy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Latest SVN - pingback enabled. Created a post referencing other blog
> articles.
>
> http://www.nbrightside.com/blog/2008/04/02/resurrection-of-disqus-comments
>
> I am pretty sure the URL links were well formed and I can click
> through to the referenced site. The pingback plugin is activated.

I note that the link to your own site doesn't have a pingback from
this post, either. Is it perhaps pending moderation? That would be
one way to determine whether the problem is with you sending pingbacks
or that other site receiving pingbacks.

> Admin-Logs now shows
>
> 17 - The source URL does not contain a link to the target URL, and so
> cannot be used as a source. (Source:
> http://www.nbrightside.com/blog/2008/04/02/resurrection-of-disqus-comments
> | Target: http://shegeeks.net/great-quality-customer-support-with-disqus/
>
> Any ideas ?

I don't see that string anywhere in our code, which leads me to
believe that it's an anti-spam mechanism on shegeeks.net's end.

Cheers,
Scott

Andy C

Apr 3, 2008, 10:11:36 AM4/3/08
to habari-users
Scott - Thanks very much for the pointers. I'll investigate further
and report back.

On Apr 3, 2:42 pm, "Scott Merrill" <ski...@skippy.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Andy C <andyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Latest SVN - pingback enabled. Created a post referencing other blog
> >  articles.
>
> >  http://www.nbrightside.com/blog/2008/04/02/resurrection-of-disqus-com...
>
> >  I am pretty sure the URL links were well formed and I can click
> >  through to the referenced site. The pingback plugin is activated.
>
> I note that the link to your own site doesn't have a pingback from
> this post, either.  Is it perhaps pending moderation?  That would be
> one way to determine whether the problem is with you sending pingbacks
> or that other site receiving pingbacks.
>
> >  Admin-Logs now shows
>
> >  17 - The source URL does not contain a link to the target URL, and so
> >  cannot be used as a source. (Source:
> >  http://www.nbrightside.com/blog/2008/04/02/resurrection-of-disqus-com...

Michael C. Harris

Apr 3, 2008, 7:06:16 PM4/3/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com

However Andy C's post does link to shegeeks, contrary the message, so
perhaps pingback isn't sending the right information? Or perhaps the
shegeeks implementation is broken.

--
Michael C. Harris, School of CS&IT, RMIT University
http://twofishcreative.com/michael/blog

Andy C

Apr 3, 2008, 7:25:15 PM4/3/08
to habari-users
Sorry. This is getting confusing as I didn't explain it very well.

Forget shegeeks.net - my ping to that site is probably stuck in the
bowels of Akismet hell.

My original post

http://www.nbrightside.com/blog/2008/04/02/resurrection-of-disqus-comments

reference more of my not so original posts

http://www.nbrightside.com/blog/2007/10/31/disqus-powered-comments

I was expecting a pingback on the latter entry in Admin-Comments but
didn't get one (Unapproved/Spam/Approved)
--
Andy

On Apr 4, 12:06 am, "Michael C. Harris" <michael.twof...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 09:42:24AM -0400, Scott Merrill wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Andy C <andyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >  Admin-Logs now shows
>
> > >  17 - The source URL does not contain a link to the target URL, and so
> > >  cannot be used as a source. (Source:
> > >  http://www.nbrightside.com/blog/2008/04/02/resurrection-of-disqus-com...

Scott Merrill

Apr 3, 2008, 7:29:05 PM4/3/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Andy C <andy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry. This is getting confusing as I didn't explain it very well.
>
> Forget shegeeks.net - my ping to that site is probably stuck in the
> bowels of Akismet hell.

Yes, but the error you posted was specifically related to that site.

> I was expecting a pingback on the latter entry in Admin-Comments but
> didn't get one (Unapproved/Spam/Approved)

Did you specifically select the "pingback" type from the drop-down?
The moderation queue only shows comments by default.

Likewise, you could visit your dashboard, and if you have pending
pingbacks it should tell you there.

Andy C

Apr 3, 2008, 7:55:05 PM4/3/08
to habari-users
Hi Scott

Scott> Did you specifically select the "pingback" type from the drop-
down?

No. I am ashamed to say that I foolishly thought 'All' meant 'All'.

Particularly, when the drop-down options are: 'All', 'Comment',
'Pingback' 'Trackback'. So 'Manage Comments' really does do what it
says on the tin. It solely manages comments unless you explicitly
specify otherwise. May I suggest the drop-down displays 'Comments'
rather than 'All.

I am doubly ashamed to admit I never visit the dashboard. Ever. I
actually thought the Admin menu only contained the drop down items
(Options, Plugins etc). I didn't realise it was the epicentre and the
main adminstration interface for a Habari blog.

This was clearly a mishtake and represents a Eureka moment for me for
me because the information ('5 pingbacks awaiting moderation' with
hyperlink) was nicely presented there and would have saved all this
heartache. Also, now I can see those elusive Feedburner stats :-)

PS. I don't know if it's just me and whether I have unusual data but
the dashboard is very, very S L O W for me. So slow, I would probably
get bored and click elsewhere.

My dasboard renders (is that the term ?) in 15-20 seconds.
Consistently. And I don't think I have Giagbytes of spam or garbage
data causing any slow queries. Is this normal ?

Thanks as always. Your time is much appreciated.
--
Andy

Scott Merrill

Apr 3, 2008, 9:21:27 PM4/3/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com

http://trac.habariproject.org/habari/ticket/250

> Particularly, when the drop-down options are: 'All', 'Comment',
> 'Pingback' 'Trackback'. So 'Manage Comments' really does do what it
> says on the tin. It solely manages comments unless you explicitly
> specify otherwise. May I suggest the drop-down displays 'Comments'
> rather than 'All.

It is my opinion that this is a defect. When one selects "all", they
should get all. If that screen defaults to comments, it should select
"comments" from the drop-down to indicate that.

> This was clearly a mishtake and represents a Eureka moment for me for
> me because the information ('5 pingbacks awaiting moderation' with
> hyperlink) was nicely presented there and would have saved all this
> heartache. Also, now I can see those elusive Feedburner stats :-)

Groovy.

> PS. I don't know if it's just me and whether I have unusual data but
> the dashboard is very, very S L O W for me. So slow, I would probably
> get bored and click elsewhere.
>
> My dasboard renders (is that the term ?) in 15-20 seconds.
> Consistently. And I don't think I have Giagbytes of spam or garbage
> data causing any slow queries. Is this normal ?

It's possible that it's bogging down trying to get the list of
incoming links from Technorati.