dashboard stats

Scott Merrill

Apr 3, 2008, 10:05:43 AM4/3/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
I just updated to r1536. I don't visit my dashboard much, but decided
to give it a peek today.

At the bottom of the "Site Statistics" section I see these two lines:
This feed does not permit Awareness API access (entries)
Feed Not Found (comments)

What does that mean? What am I missing?

I see in /system/admin/dashboard.php the code to generate those lines:
$stats= Plugins::filter( 'statistics_summary', $stats );
foreach( $stats as $label => $value ) :
?>
<?php
endforeach;
?>

But that doesn't help me understand why they're not working. :(

Thanks,
Scott

rick c

Apr 3, 2008, 10:37:18 AM4/3/08
to habari-users
Scott,

What you're seeing sounds related to the feedburner plugin

Regarding the entries feed not have access to the Awareness api - it
sounds like you have the plugin activated but the feeds don't
correspond to what is listed in Feedburner. I'd check to make sure you
have the proper feeds listed in Feedburner and the plugin.

Regarding the comments feed not being found - I've found that
sometimes I have to refresh the admin page to get it to show. I don't
know if it's a timeout on Habari or Feedburner's end or something
else, but a refresh usually brings up the stats.

Rick

Scott Merrill

Apr 3, 2008, 10:49:22 AM4/3/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
> What you're seeing sounds related to the feedburner plugin

Thanks. I do use the FeedBurner plugin.

> Regarding the entries feed not have access to the Awareness api - it
> sounds like you have the plugin activated but the feeds don't
> correspond to what is listed in Feedburner. I'd check to make sure you
> have the proper feeds listed in Feedburner and the plugin.

Sorry to sound dense, but can you explain this a little more
thoroughly, please? I'm not sure what "the proper feeds" would be to
list in FeedBurner and the plugin.

> Regarding the comments feed not being found - I've found that
> sometimes I have to refresh the admin page to get it to show. I don't
> know if it's a timeout on Habari or Feedburner's end or something
> else, but a refresh usually brings up the stats.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott Merrill

Apr 3, 2008, 10:56:56 AM4/3/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Scott Merrill <ski...@skippy.net> wrote:
> > Regarding the entries feed not have access to the Awareness api - it
> > sounds like you have the plugin activated but the feeds don't
> > correspond to what is listed in Feedburner. I'd check to make sure you
> > have the proper feeds listed in Feedburner and the plugin.
>
> Sorry to sound dense, but can you explain this a little more
> thoroughly, please? I'm not sure what "the proper feeds" would be to
> list in FeedBurner and the plugin.

I found that I needed to explicitly enable the Awareness API on my
feeds within the FeedBurner website. Once I activated that, I now get
data about my feeds.

So, when will we start adding online help for plugins? ;)

rick c

Apr 3, 2008, 11:25:45 AM4/3/08
to habari-users
Scott,

If you're using the version of the feedburner plugin before the user
interface was added to it:

In the plugin source code, to the $feedburner_feeds[] array, the
introspection and collection members should have the url of your
Feedburner entries feed - http://feeds.feedburner.com/Scott , for
example. The comments member should have your Feedburner comments feed
- http://feeds.feedburner.com/ScottComments.

On the Feedburner end, just make sure you have your atom feed url
(http://scott.com/atom/1 ) listed as the original feed address for the
entries feed and your comments atom feed url (http://scott.com/atom/
comments ) as the original feed for the comments feed.

If you're using the new version of the feedburner plugin with the user
interface, update to the latest source, apply the patch I attached to
ticket #25, then do the same thing through the user interface. Enter
your Feedburner entries feed url in the Introspection and Collection
edit boxes. Enter your Feedburner comments feed url in the Comments
edit box.

Don't change the Exclusion urls or ip addresses.

You should be gold.

Rick

rick c

Apr 3, 2008, 11:29:53 AM4/3/08
to habari-users
Or you could do that . :)

Online help for all system plugins is a good idea. Any others should
have at least a readme file packaged with them. Online help for
plugins included in -extras would be even better.

Rick

Andy C

Apr 3, 2008, 12:19:31 PM4/3/08
to habari-users
Firstly, I use the Feedburner plugin and without it, I probably
wouldn't have jumped ship to Habari.

So a word of thanks from me to all those who created, developed,
enhanced this invaluable plugin.

However, what would be even better IMHO would be to rename (or at
least explain) what on earth is meant by the terms 'Introspection' and
'Collection'.

I find the terms, confusing in the extreme and the former almost
pretentious.

Introspection is defined as 'observation or examination of one's own
mental and emotional state, mental processes, etc.; the act of looking
within oneself..

How about 'Blog' and 'Comments' ? That would make things easier for
the 000's of potential WP converts.

Sometimes less is more.

On Apr 3, 4:25 pm, rick c <rickcock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Scott,
>
> If you're using the version of the feedburner plugin before the user
> interface was added to it:
>
> In the plugin source code, to the $feedburner_feeds[] array, the
> introspection and collection members should have the url of your
> Feedburner entries feed -http://feeds.feedburner.com/Scott, for
> example. The comments member should have your Feedburner comments feed
> -http://feeds.feedburner.com/ScottComments.
>
> On the Feedburner end, just make sure you have your atom feed url
> (http://scott.com/atom/1) listed as the original feed address for the

ringmaster

Apr 3, 2008, 1:42:57 PM4/3/08
to habari-users

On Apr 3, 12:19 pm, Andy C <andyc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, what would be even better IMHO would be to rename (or at
> least explain) what on earth is meant by the terms 'Introspection' and
> 'Collection'.
>
> I find the terms, confusing in the extreme and the former almost
> pretentious.

Ha! I expect you're not alone.

The Introspection URL is actually a very accurate term for what it
does. The document at the introspection URL allows the feed to return
information about itself. Rather than have to specify where your
posts feed is and your category feed and your comment feed, etc., you
can provide the single introspection document, which lists all of the
feeds that Habari provides.

Why its an "introspection" feed and not just a list of feeds is
because it actually looks at what feeds it has available to generate
the list

The term Collection is a bit more esoteric. In the atom publishing
protocol, a feed is valid (and I'm paraphrasing because I'm tapping
this out on my phone on the train) if it is a single item (typically a
post) or a collection of items. By specifying the collection URL, you
are telling the Atom client to consume multiple items in the feed,
rather than just the single post.

I agree that these terms are a tad arcane, but 1) I challenge you to
come up with a more accurate word, 2) these are the actual words used
in the feed specifications so there's no question by people familiar
with the technology which thing is what, and 3) one of Habari's goals
is user enlightenment, which I'd personally much rather do to appeal
to people who are willing to engage in the technology.

Hope that helps.

Owen

Andy C

Apr 3, 2008, 2:12:45 PM4/3/08
to habari-users
Hi Owen

Thanks for the reponse and lucid explanation. Of course, it is
possible to derive the correct values and configure the plugin. Even I
managed it. Eventually.

How about you call the array elements in the source 'Collection' and
'Introspection', suitably annotated with a comment, and present the
visible fields to the end user on the forms used by mere mortals as
simply 'Blog' and 'Comments' ?

Maybe even default the values to 'http://feedburner.com/<insert
Feedburner URL for blog feed here>'

I don't code. I don't do user documentation. I don't do testing. I
don't do UI design.

What I am trying to contribute is playing 'devil's advocate' in many
ways by continually trying to think of my first impresions of Habari
as a user from another blogging platform (or even worse - someone who
brand new to blogging i.e Uncle Henry).

A seemingly trivial issue but in its own way, significant to user
adoption and the success of the project.
--
Andy

ringmaster

Apr 4, 2008, 4:24:34 PM4/4/08
to habari-users
On Apr 3, 2:12 pm, Andy C <andyc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reponse and lucid explanation. Of course, it is
> possible to derive the correct values and configure the plugin. Even I
> managed it. Eventually.
>
> How about you call the array elements in the source 'Collection' and
> 'Introspection', suitably annotated with a comment, and present the
> visible fields to the end user on the forms used by mere mortals as
> simply 'Blog' and 'Comments' ?

We could most certainly improve how we expose the feed URLs to the
user. Since most of this is done through the theme via discovery
(Feedburner would look at your home page, find some snippet of code
that says "my feed is here", and then use that), the theme is largely
responsible for what is exposed in this manner.

It might be worthwhile to publish the explicit links to the feeds
Habari provides via the admin. In this way it will be very clear to
the site administrator which feeds are available, much as you would
see if you were to read the machine-friendly introspection document
Habari produces.

These could be labeled as "Site-wide Posts Atom Feed" and "Site-wide
Comment Atom Feed", commonsense names for non-technical users. These
two feeds are both technically Collections.

Nonetheless, the Introspection URL points to neither of those feeds.
The document at that URL is a machine-readable list that contains
pointers those feeds, among others that Habari provides. If a site
asks for the Introspection URL (which would be very useful for a
program like MarsEdit, Ecto, or Performancing), they would need that
specific URL, so I think it's useful to include with the others in
spite of the gibberish name.

Thanks for your feedback, I hope we can use it to improve the Habari
user experience.

Owen