Admin and Multiple User

Khaled Abou Alfa

Dec 9, 2006, 12:38:40 PM12/9/06
to habari-dev
Okay Team,

I've had a bit of a play around with the admin and I've tweaked the
publish page ever so slightly so that now when/if we have a multiple
blog function (which I think would be one of those killer functions that
get Habari even more attention when it comes out into the wild up and
running).

So when you want to create a new blog, it's as easy as pie. When you
want to write for a specific blog it's as easy as pie. I dunno, I would
love to have that function in front of me. Easier maintenance, time and
more of my friends would definitely have blogs because I could handle as
many from my one single area/install. Maybe I'm putting a tough one on
you guys, but this is one function I would love to have.

The admin page is my first pass at things. It's just putting a line in
the sand. I'll be looking at it a bit more, but the side panel on the
right hand side is now used for navigation in general. So that way it's
clear to the user what to look for in that particular area. Focus on the
meat and potatoes on the left and the peas and carrots (which are
essential goodness) can be found on the left hand side.

This method also addresses an issue we have in WordPress where the
plugin guys will add an extra tab. In wordpress it'll break the design
based on size of screen if you've got a lot of them, while in the case,
you can have as many as you want and there won't be any problems to the
user.

Right enough from me, over to you guys.

publish_v6_admin.png
publish_v6_multiple.png

Scott Merrill

Dec 9, 2006, 3:51:43 PM12/9/06
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Khaled Abou Alfa wrote:
> I've had a bit of a play around with the admin and I've tweaked the
> publish page ever so slightly so that now when/if we have a multiple
> blog function (which I think would be one of those killer functions that
> get Habari even more attention when it comes out into the wild up and
> running).
>
> So when you want to create a new blog, it's as easy as pie. When you
> want to write for a specific blog it's as easy as pie. I dunno, I would
> love to have that function in front of me. Easier maintenance, time and
> more of my friends would definitely have blogs because I could handle as
> many from my one single area/install. Maybe I'm putting a tough one on
> you guys, but this is one function I would love to have.

If that drop-down is on the top-level menu, it makes sense to me that
selecting a different blog would take me to the administrative screens
for that blog.

There needs to be some mechanism inside the body of the post composition
screen to select the blog for the current post. Perhaps in the
right-hand sidebar?

> The admin page is my first pass at things. It's just putting a line in
> the sand. I'll be looking at it a bit more, but the side panel on the
> right hand side is now used for navigation in general. So that way it's
> clear to the user what to look for in that particular area. Focus on the
> meat and potatoes on the left and the peas and carrots (which are
> essential goodness) can be found on the left hand side.
>
> This method also addresses an issue we have in WordPress where the
> plugin guys will add an extra tab. In wordpress it'll break the design
> based on size of screen if you've got a lot of them, while in the case,
> you can have as many as you want and there won't be any problems to the
> user.

I like the idea of a vertical list of administrative links. I wonder if
we could re-organize the overall admin navigation structure to use the
right-hand sidebar for _all_ admin actions. It's a bit incongruous to
use a horizontal admin bar along the top for some actions, and then a
vertical list for other actions.

Though, playing devil's advocate against myself, I do see how the
sidebar items are subordinate items to those top-level links.

Chris J. Davis

Dec 10, 2006, 2:49:00 PM12/10/06
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I am very excited about the 'overview' page. That is some nice
shiznit khaled. In a stroke of blind luck, I have been unable to
work on any HTML/CSS for the admin this weekend, which turns out to
be a positive thing since there is still some work being done. I
plan on tackling some of this tomorrow night.

I think that Owen was right in his enthusiasm, things are really
coming together.

Chris

Broken Kode

Dec 10, 2006, 4:49:16 PM12/10/06
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Scott regarding the multiple blog choosing, I was thinking (and this
could be completely incorrect) but my assumption was that by clicking on
one of the alternative blogs would effectively take you to a different
admin altogether, where the very top part (which says the name of the
site, in the mockup's case, Broken Kode) would change to whatever the
alternative site name is.

Does that make sense or am I looking at this incorrectly?

Broken Kode

Dec 10, 2006, 5:39:14 PM12/10/06
to habar...@googlegroups.com

Well now that I've sent the next version which has massaged things
slightly in the right direction you've got a little bit more to play
around with :)