Introductions

1 view

Nuclear Moose

Jan 14, 2007, 3:15:26 PM1/14/07
to habari-dev
Hi, all.
I *did* search to see if this kind of thread had already been started,
but I was unable to find it. Apologies if this is a duplicate.

My name is Craig Hartel. I am also known as Nuclear Moose. I've been a
WordPress person since before it went Gold as version 0.72.

I'm not a WordPress fan any more. I long for a project that I can help
with and learn from. I was sent an email by Big Jibby the other night,
and I dropped in to #habari on Freenode. It was then that I moodily
declared I have nothing to contribute and "good luck" with Habari.

Well, I *am* very much interested in the project. Skills? I'm an
advanced user. I don't know PHP or MySQL, but I can set up my own
databases and run most stuff with minimal help. I have "mastered" PutTy
and I SVN my installations of WordPress, so I can do the same for
Habari.

I felt very much pushed aside by WordPress as it evolved.
Egomaniacally, I take pride and credit in being one of the early folks
who helped develop a true sense of community. I did a lot of support; I
did a lot of writing on documentation; I soothed ruffled feathers as a
self-appointed ambassador at times, and I even helped a large number of
folks transition from MovableType.

Then I got kicked to the curb.

Anyway, if I can install Habari and use it and find something to
contribute, I will. If there is anything you can think of where my
limited skill set can help, many of you know me and you can feel free
to contact me. I've checked out the Habari wiki and how to get
involved, although a lot of it is pretty basic ATM.

I said to all on #habari last night that I have nothing to contribute,
but more and more as I see the names involved in this project, and the
fact that I hold so many of you in high regard, how can I NOT get
involved and do my little bit?

See you around, folks.

Computer Guru

Jan 14, 2007, 4:19:18 PM1/14/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Hey Craig,

Nice to see you here :) - welcome aboard! :D

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/

chrisjdavis

Jan 14, 2007, 4:17:39 PM1/14/07
to habari-dev
Trust me Craig, the regard is mutual.

We need more user-centric folks to come on board. We are starting to
get interest from 'regular joes' who just want to install Habari, and
see what it can do. Having people who are good at support and
communication, while not being to technical is a God send in those
moments, and my friend, that is you to a T.

I personally would be feel luck to have you in our community, so I say
find your nitch here, just like you did in WP.

Scott Merrill

Jan 14, 2007, 4:34:37 PM1/14/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Nuclear Moose wrote:
> I felt very much pushed aside by WordPress as it evolved.
> Egomaniacally, I take pride and credit in being one of the early folks
> who helped develop a true sense of community. I did a lot of support; I
> did a lot of writing on documentation; I soothed ruffled feathers as a
> self-appointed ambassador at times, and I even helped a large number of
> folks transition from MovableType.

Your passion is warmly welcomed here. Habari is about community.
People who understand what this means -- the good and the bad -- and who
can help others understand the importance of it are not to be understated.

> Anyway, if I can install Habari and use it and find something to
> contribute, I will. If there is anything you can think of where my
> limited skill set can help, many of you know me and you can feel free
> to contact me. I've checked out the Habari wiki and how to get
> involved, although a lot of it is pretty basic ATM.

Things are very embryonic still. Even though we have a surprisingly
functional product, there's _a lot_ left to do.

A formal QA team would be helpful: people to read the issued marked
"fixed" and report back that the issue is, indeed, fixed. People who
can apply a patch and report "Yep, this fixes the error as described"
are needed.

People who can help provide suggestions that strike a balance between
"feature-itis" and "plugin-itis" are definitely needed.

People who can write meaningful documentation are needed. People who
are eager to learn are needed. People who are willing to set aside
private agendas for the common good are needed.

> I said to all on #habari last night that I have nothing to contribute,
> but more and more as I see the names involved in this project, and the
> fact that I hold so many of you in high regard, how can I NOT get
> involved and do my little bit?

We're still new at all of this, but the long-term goal is to reward
those people who contribute. Contributions need not be PHP or SQL code.
They can be a cool head in a heated discussion. They can be an
innovative approach to an old problem. They can be the willingness to
step up and do what needs to be done when no one wants to do it.

The meritocracy model ensures that people who contribute are not kicked
to the curb. It means you have an influential voice. You might not get
everything you want out of Habari, and you might not always be
successful in your advocacy of ideas; but you'll always know that your
voice was heard, and that the final decision is the result of a true
consensus, rather than the whim of any single person.

--
GPG 9CFA4B35 | ski...@skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

sfo...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2007, 4:59:55 AM1/15/07
to habari-dev
Hi Craig.

I remember Nuclear Moose from the early(ish) WP days, Im sure Ive
chatted to you on the WP IRC way back when.

Owen Winkler

Jan 15, 2007, 7:55:16 AM1/15/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/14/07, Scott Merrill <ski...@skippy.net> wrote:

> The meritocracy model ensures that people who contribute are not kicked
> to the curb. It means you have an influential voice. You might not get
> everything you want out of Habari, and you might not always be
> successful in your advocacy of ideas; but you'll always know that your
> voice was heard, and that the final decision is the result of a true
> consensus, rather than the whim of any single person.

Amen.

Nuclear Moose, I've been trying to think of what needs to be done
about our community, about the best way for us to communicate ideas to
each other, provide support, make sure everyone gets credited/rewarded
for their effort. I know that you have ideas about this. I would
love to hear them, as well as any ideas that anyone has in this
regard.

Owen

Nuclear Moose

Jan 15, 2007, 10:09:10 PM1/15/07
to habari-dev
Well, I unsuccessfully played around with trying to install the
program, and I find that I am just not interested in struggling with
something.

I'm out of here. Best of luck to you all.

Jay Pipes

Jan 16, 2007, 1:04:05 AM1/16/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com

Another mod_rewrite victim I bet.

Jay

Owen Winkler

Jan 16, 2007, 7:06:52 AM1/16/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com

It was /trunk/htdocs on this one.

Owen

sfo...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2007, 11:22:58 AM1/16/07
to habari-dev
ok then.

Jay Pipes

Jan 16, 2007, 12:23:21 PM1/16/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com

Oh. Too bad. This brings up a good point, however, and one in which I
think some discussion might be worthy. Do we plan to have a build team?
This team would be responsible for packaging up the source tarball and
related files for various platforms and ensuring a smooth installation
process...

Jay

Rich Bowen

Jan 16, 2007, 1:56:17 PM1/16/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com

+1

We should, at least, have a release manager each time we do a
release. Not sure that should be the same person every time,
necessarily, but probably should be for the first few releases.

--
http://feathercast.org/