Introduction Panel

Khaled Abou Alfa

Jan 30, 2007, 6:09:31 PM1/30/07
to habari-dev
Well I had a little bit of a think about things and it just made more
sense to have the first page that you enter be signified by the main tab
and actually use the area and the home icon to take you to the website.

Just as a quick one so that I don't end up repeating myself, if you're
going to comment on the mockups please read the email because I cover
stuff in here, which I might not have addressed because I don't have the
time. This is all work in progress.

So with that in mind I've moved the admin tab to the very end, put the
newly christened Create tab right at the front. Done the highlighting of
the introduction tab and I've included for the drop down menu as well.

Once we've got multiple blog control enabled that's what you can use to
flip between admin panels or even add/create a new website to be
controlled from your habari install. At least that's how it's working in
my head.

Regarding the panels below, I did actually try and integrate the panels
that were used by Michael in his installer panel, but they didn't look
as strong as I wanted them to be honest. I'll have a look into it again
this week sometime but it's a start and one that I think we can mould a
bit better to tie completely with the entire style of the panel.

I've also included the gravatar in there as well, although the welcome
message does look a little odd there, but I couldn't really think of
anything essential that would need to be put underneath and I do
actually like the image there to make it look a little more of a
personal space.

I've also left enough space for a nice download icon to be created and
plopped in the system update panel.

Oh yeah I'm missing the favicons in the incoming list panel, but that's
simply because I forgot rather than me not wanting them in there, we're
definitely having those in there.

Also still working on the links and what the proper implementation
should be for them (i.e underlined, colour etc).

Final point, I've moved the logout button to the bottom of the page. I'm
still not sure where to go with this one. I can see why putting it in
the top right hand corner might not be such a good idea due to having
the drop down menus etc so we'll have to find a decent place for it. In
my view there's really only two areas that it can be accomodated. One is
in the header, the other is in the footer.

It could be incorporated in one of the drop downs, like the main
introduction drop down, being the first menu item before any other
website? After all it is taking you away from the current menu either
for another website menu or out of the site completely... I dunno still
pondering.

Khaled
www.brokenkode.com

008-introduction_dropdown.jpg
008-introduction.jpg

vkaryl

Jan 30, 2007, 6:42:49 PM1/30/07
to habari-dev
Nice. VERY nice. Looks "together".... and easy to use!

On Jan 30, 4:09 pm, Khaled Abou Alfa <khaled.aboua...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 008-introduction_dropdown.jpg
> 167KViewDownload
>
> 008-introduction.jpg
> 163KViewDownload

Michael Bishop

Jan 30, 2007, 7:43:41 PM1/30/07
to habari-dev
I just don't see it as a big improvement over the existing dashboard.
I understand colors might be added at some point, but it comes across
as boxy to me.

Regarding order of tabs on the right, I suppose those seem a logical
order.

I think the logout should be upper left corner. The home button I
think is deceiving. To me, the home button would take me to the admin
dashboard, not to the site. I would envision an icon for logout, and
one for visiting the site, something that reflects exiting admin.
Also, regarding multiple sites, I would put that as a submenu of
manage, because, in essence, that's what you would be doing, managing
multiple sites.

And forgive me if this has been discussed before, but is manage the
best term? Manage really is a synonym of administer. Perhaps
"Organize"? Or a different term for "admin". something to connote
technical aspects vs content aspects.

Just my 2¢ observations.

Michael

On Jan 30, 6:09 pm, Khaled Abou Alfa <khaled.aboua...@gmail.com>

vkaryl

Jan 30, 2007, 7:55:54 PM1/30/07
to habari-dev
See, I think that's the difference between me as a user, and you as
dev-type. Logout makes perfect sense to me on the right.... that's a
logical "western consciousness" progression/orientation, left to
right.... Rather than Home though, I'd prefer an icon (well, no I
wouldn't - I PREFER simple text links for stuff in general) that
offers "Go to Site" or "view site" or something "normal" like
that.... Boxy is perfectly fine in backend, and something most people
"get" quite readily. What's the deal with "boxy" as a bad word
anyway?

Manage to me is all backend - anything done through the admin
interface.... from themes to users to content. Dunno about multiple
stuff though; it's most likely nothing I'll ever do or have an
interest in....

On Jan 30, 5:43 pm, "Michael Bishop" <bishopblogwo...@gmail.com>

Michael Bishop

Jan 30, 2007, 8:45:02 PM1/30/07
to habari-dev

On Jan 30, 7:55 pm, "vkaryl" <vka...@bytehaven.com> wrote:
> See, I think that's the difference between me as a user, and you as
> dev-type. Logout makes perfect sense to me on the right.... that's a
> logical "western consciousness" progression/orientation, left to
> right....

Or perhaps its my Mac centric approach, where the close window button
is top left :)

Rather than Home though, I'd prefer an icon (well, no I
> wouldn't - I PREFER simple text links for stuff in general) that
> offers "Go to Site" or "view site" or something "normal" like
> that.... Boxy is perfectly fine in backend, and something most people
> "get" quite readily. What's the deal with "boxy" as a bad word
> anyway?

For one, I think the boxes lock browser resolution. Unless the goal
is to code these boxes to be flexible, or modular in the sense more
info can be added to the intro page, a lot of screen real estate will
be lost on higher resolution monitors. The current admin page is flex
width, and I very much like the white space (1280x1024, I think)

> Manage to me is all backend - anything done through the admin
> interface.... from themes to users to content. Dunno about multiple
> stuff though; it's most likely nothing I'll ever do or have an
> interest in....

That was sorta my point. Having an "admin" tab, and a "manage" tab
seems redundant, or at the very least ambiguous. I think very
concise, logical delineations should be chosen, especially in regards
to how they would translate to other languages.

Michael

vkaryl

Jan 30, 2007, 8:56:03 PM1/30/07
to habari-dev
Um. Well, I have LESS than no "relativity" with Macs, sorry.... In
fact, I know only about 5 people out of HUNDREDS (online and f-2-f)
who use Macs - and you're one of them.... I might buy an Ibook
eventually - but only to check my sites for usability (NOT perfect
display!) on Macs....

Hard to really determine what the boxes do to browser res using a
screenie. I'd have to have a usable setup to see - I have one screen
at 1024x768 (dev screen) and another at 1280x1024 - the graphic was
fine in both, but a graphic is fair useless for screen res decision
making.... I also have my laptop at whatever oddball res is needed
for laptop display tweaking, and both my 17" screens will display from
800x600 to 1600x1200 (one of them will do 1920x1440, but if you can
actually SEE anything at that res, you're either a better "man" than I
am, or MUCH MUCH YOUNGER....)

So it's really hard to say what might happen with a layout like that
until it's a downloadable uploadable option rather than a fixed
graphic....

On Jan 30, 6:45 pm, "Michael Bishop" <bishopblogwo...@gmail.com>

Root

Jan 31, 2007, 3:14:27 AM1/31/07
to habari-dev
Where does Habari stand on drop down menus and accessibility ? I
wonder?

Broken Kode

Jan 31, 2007, 3:19:28 AM1/31/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Wait are you saying drop down menus are inaccessible? Ones that have
been styled in CSS? Yes, I wonder.

Broken Kode

Jan 31, 2007, 3:20:47 AM1/31/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
The boxes will be stretchable and sit underneath each other one smaller
resolutions. This element has been discussed before.

The design is also meant to be flexible with a max-width (and yes we can
do this in IE6 and IE7), so you're using the maximum width of your
screen, however users of larger screen resolutions don't need to suffer
an overstretched design.

Admin - Administer your website functionality, theme, plugins user etc.
Manage - Manage your content.

I'm all for coming up with better names that fit within those criteria
(as demonstrated from moving from publish to create). However Organise
(spelt correctly brother :) ) doesn't really fit that bill I don't
think.

AJay

Jan 31, 2007, 6:13:13 AM1/31/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Broken Kode wrote:
> I'm all for coming up with better names that fit within those criteria
> (as demonstrated from moving from publish to create). However Organise
> (spelt correctly brother :) ) doesn't really fit that bill I don't
> think.

Now, if only we can get a proper css standard that recognises 'centre'
and 'colour' we'd be laughing... :)

AJay