Private posts

Michael C. Harris

Jan 19, 2008, 3:50:50 AM1/19/08
to Habari Dev
I want to have posts that are private to specific logged in users. My
preference would be for an administrator to allow access to these
posts via an option on the users' profile pages.

Any tips on how to implement this?

--
Michael C. Harris, School of CS&IT, RMIT University
http://twofishcreative.com/michael/blog

Michael C. Harris

Jan 22, 2008, 12:21:48 AM1/22/08
to Habari Dev
On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 07:50:50PM +1100, Michael C. Harris wrote:
> I want to have posts that are private to specific logged in users. My
> preference would be for an administrator to allow access to these
> posts via an option on the users' profile pages.

Okay, that obviously got everyone pretty excited.

A plugin to define a new private status is simple. All that does,
however, is act like a draft - if you're logged in, you can see it.*
This should be really easy with the ACL, but am I right in saying
that's a work in progress? If not, how do I add permissions and test
them in a plugin?

cheers, Michael

* Which brings up another issue that I think is probably already
on the radar: if I have a draft I don't want other logged in users to
be able to see it. The issues are related.

Scott Merrill

Jan 24, 2008, 12:24:20 PM1/24/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/22/08, Michael C. Harris <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A plugin to define a new private status is simple. All that does,
> however, is act like a draft - if you're logged in, you can see it.*
> This should be really easy with the ACL, but am I right in saying
> that's a work in progress? If not, how do I add permissions and test
> them in a plugin?

The ACL system is in an embryonic state. It's something I keep
meaning to work on, but fail utterly to follow through with. :(

> * Which brings up another issue that I think is probably already
> on the radar: if I have a draft I don't want other logged in users to
> be able to see it. The issues are related.

Yes, that's a known weakness. Currently, all users are equal. I do
want to fix that, sooner rather than later.

Michael C. Harris

Jan 24, 2008, 6:59:54 PM1/24/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Skippy. Given that this is my itch at the moment, I'll try to
put some work into the ACL/groups over the next week or so and attach
it to issue #50.

cheers, Michael