Mobile Version

Khaled Abou Alfa

Jan 8, 2007, 2:51:35 AM1/8/07
to habari-dev
Ok I'm writing this down to get the discussions going as it's in my head
right now.

Basically as I play around with Opera Mini more and more I appreciate
how cool the mobile web actually is and what a completely DIFFERENT
beast it is to the normal web (there must be a better way of describing
that). Anywho my point is that while the mockups with just xhtml and css
will render fine on a mobile device (or at least you'd think) the fact
remains that there will probably be around 20 links to get through
before we get to what you need (think the drop down menus as well).

Therefore what we'll need another setup for the mobile web or something
else. I've got ideas as to what is essential for that version but since
it's all still early days what do you think we can do about this?

When you log in you probably only want the publish area (possible the
latest comments or whatever), I'd have to seriously sit down and think
this through.

What I'm effectively trying to say is can we at the very least future
proof this for a later release or implementation once more people
interested in the mobile web and want to develop things for it can.

Reason I'm bringing this up now is to make sure we're not closing any
doors on us and to make sure we're at the very least foward thinking and
one step ahead of everyone else.

Khaled

Michael Heilemann

Jan 8, 2007, 4:51:45 AM1/8/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for putting some serious effort into a mobile version.

We should probably put this on the roadmap so we have an idea of when to put in the effort.

Scott Merrill

Jan 8, 2007, 8:29:35 AM1/8/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Khaled Abou Alfa wrote:
> Therefore what we'll need another setup for the mobile web or something
> else. I've got ideas as to what is essential for that version but since
> it's all still early days what do you think we can do about this?
>
> When you log in you probably only want the publish area (possible the
> latest comments or whatever), I'd have to seriously sit down and think
> this through.

I'd love to be able to use all aspects of Habari from my Treo.

I think we can look to Google for an example of how to handle mobile
clients. Google's website is fully functional on my Treo. They provide
text-only links for their menu, and it's not terribly hard to navigate.
Granted, their site is spartan to begin with...

> What I'm effectively trying to say is can we at the very least future
> proof this for a later release or implementation once more people
> interested in the mobile web and want to develop things for it can.
>
> Reason I'm bringing this up now is to make sure we're not closing any
> doors on us and to make sure we're at the very least foward thinking and
> one step ahead of everyone else.

Yes, absolutely let's keep this in mind. At the worst, we can provide a
new admin interface entirely, accessed by some other URL (/admin/mobile,
maybe). But I'd love to see the main interface be useable in a mobile
browser -- perhaps simply presenting a text-only, no CSS no Javascript
rendering of the site... This would work equally well for lynx users, too!

--
ski...@skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49 3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35

Owen Winkler

Jan 8, 2007, 8:39:06 AM1/8/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/8/07, Scott Merrill <ski...@skippy.net> wrote:

> I'd love to be able to use all aspects of Habari from my Treo.

Me too!

> > Reason I'm bringing this up now is to make sure we're not closing any
> > doors on us and to make sure we're at the very least foward thinking and
> > one step ahead of everyone else.
>
> Yes, absolutely let's keep this in mind. At the worst, we can provide a
> new admin interface entirely, accessed by some other URL (/admin/mobile,
> maybe). But I'd love to see the main interface be useable in a mobile
> browser -- perhaps simply presenting a text-only, no CSS no Javascript
> rendering of the site... This would work equally well for lynx users, too!

I think the "worst" option here might be our best option. Sure it
would be great if the main interface was usable in mobile browsers,
but I wouldn't want to cripple any fancy features of the main
interface so that we could remain compatible with mobile clients.

Remember:
* The primary web interface is probably what most people will use to
do their blogging.
* Mobile clients can also use Atom (or maybe Metaweblog) to post remotely.

That said, I really think that mobile posting is a great idea, and if
it can be demonstrated that it's possible to make the posting
interfaces the same, we should certainly do it that way.

Owen

Michael Heilemann

Jan 8, 2007, 8:48:41 AM1/8/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know if we can use the keypad on for instance phones for shortcut keys?

khaled Abou Alfa

Jan 8, 2007, 10:56:56 AM1/8/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Ah well see this is what I want to talk about. I don't think you can have the EXACT same interface for both. Because they're two completely different beasts. Lynx users well they've got something mobile users don't have and that's screen space.

What's I'm proposing (and this is where the discussion might get interesting...or not) is to have a separate section/link whatever for mobile content that would have the separate css file compatible with mobile standards and also streamline (read: remove superflous links that honestly you'll never use when you're on the move). So what am I talking about. Maybe it's www.yoursite.com/admin/mobile

And from there anything you post is directly linked back the actual final publishing arm as well. That way we never ever limit the functionality that can be provided for the actual normal web, we're just providing a different area that is better suited for actually publishing mobile content of some description.

Does that seem like a feasible idea?

Not sure if the keypad can be used for shortcuts (I'd have to check if Opera or other mobile type browsers can actually provide for this as well).

Firas Durri

Jan 8, 2007, 12:51:52 PM1/8/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I agree. Top-tier support for halfway capable web clients (opera mini,
treo etc.) is a must if we're going to call ourselves modern. And by
top-tier I mean, dedicated php and html that designs for small
screens--for both blog admins and readers.

It would be nice if there was some UA detection code so readers/admins
don't explicitly have to go to a /mobile url if it's painfully clear
that they're on a small screen / low bandwidth device.

phoenix

Jan 8, 2007, 9:02:00 PM1/8/07
to habari-dev
I think a /mobile url is the way to go with a "redesigned" interface
just for mobile users. I think though that this niche is really small,
and while it is growing, maybe this could be something that is put
under the 2nd or 3rd release, rather than the first?

Core features before fun features.

Michael Heilemann

Jan 9, 2007, 4:43:14 AM1/9/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/9/07, phoenix <dave.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think a /mobile url is the way to go with a "redesigned" interface
just for mobile users. I think though that this niche is really small,
and while it is growing, maybe this could be something that is put
under the 2nd or 3rd release, rather than the first?

Agreed.

--
Aloha,
Michael Heilemann