Options Page Draft Mockup

Michael Heilemann

Jan 16, 2008, 4:00:33 PM1/16/08
to habari-dev
I wasn't really intending to show this yet, but since I'm also
pitching a new menu concept, it seemed like it wouldn't hurt. We'll
see about that.

http://flickr.com/photos/heilemann/2197528831/in/set-72157603732413209/

I usually let these things ruminate for days, while working on them,
but I'm on a tight schedule as I'll be off-grid all next week, so I'm
pushing these things out of the nest to see if they fly or fall, sink
or swim.

For the Configure section, I don't think anyone has created a
hierarchical list of options, so I went ahead and approximated one.
First of all, the Configure section would be 4+ pages, like so:

Core Options
Publication
Plugins
Theme

Core Options and Publication would contain the following options:

Core options
- Personalization
-- Blog title (input)
-- Tagline (input)

-Core Presentation
-- Encoding (dropdown)

-Time & Date
-- Current server time (static)
-- Timezone (input)
-- Date format (input w. interface w. presets)
-- Time format (input w. interface w. presets)
-- Calendar starts on? (dropdown)

Publication
- Default Settings
-- Available to (dropdown: anyone, userlevel list)
-- Moderate All (checkbox)
-- Allow Comments (checkbox)
-- Allow Pingbacks (checkbox)
-- Mail Comments to Author? (checkbox)

-On Publication
-- Ping Services (input, comma separated)
-- Mail (input, comma separated)

-Syndication
-- Number of Entries (dropdown)
-- Full text or excerpt (dropdown or radio)

(There's no 'pretty permalinks' in there, and I'm probably missing
other stuff as well).

I thought it best if you could only configure the currently active
theme, and only if it's applicable to that theme.

Plugins would have subpages for each configurable plugin. Or you can
go to 'Plugins' itself, and it could contain all the options on one
page. Some more specific rules have to be conjured up for that, but
that's outside my current scope.

The mockup as it looks right now is pretty straight forward. I imagine
that specialized tools should be included for managing time and date
format and what not. Imagine a world where you don't have to figure
out how to format your favorite time format with obscure letters...
The wonder.

In the same set (http://flickr.com/photos/heilemann/sets/
72157603732413209/) you'll find menu mockups, but that's covered in
another post I'm about to make.