Admin Options and Design Principles

Khaled Abou Alfa

Jan 14, 2008, 3:49:32 PM1/14/08
to Habari Dev
Okay all, i'm going to cover these mockups into three emails.

The first is the Create page.

The first thing you'll notice is the fact that I've included a sub-
title bar underneath the navigation bar. This is born from the fact
that we need something that can be added across the board, that
doesn't get in the way and doesn't clutter up the page. It extends
right across the page and that gives us additional room on the right
hand side to add things. Typically it's the standard location for the
help icon. The only additional thing that I see in this subtitle bar
is a search field (or a search filter field, akin to what Owen wanted
to filter various options for example).

The other change you'll find is the footer. Now again this goes all
the way across the page. What we're using on the left hand side is
like a general system message area. If you're running an old
installation of habari or a plugin or theme, it's there for you to
see. While it'll be there for you when we get to the incoming
dashboard page, it's easily forgotten.

On the right hand side, we've got all the standard links.

The Create page didn't have an area for the title, and i was conscious
that in order to add that it had to be done in a way that didn't
clutter the page, which is where these full length horizontal bars
came about. This does actually feed into additional areas which i will
discuss in the next emails.

For some reason these mockups seem slightly blurry to me, so please
excuse that.

20080113_Admin_publish_v001.png

Michael Heilemann

Jan 14, 2008, 4:16:17 PM1/14/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I'll just come right out and say that I really don't like this. I don't think it works for elegance or of the admin style. I don't think the create page needs a title at all, and if it does, I don't like that the title 'bar' is a bar, and that it uses 2D/3D effects or that it is bigger than the menu bar.

And largely, the same goes for the footer.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but...

PS: If your screenshots in OS X come out blurry, you should do fullscreen shots instead. It's something that started happening with 10.5.