More Installer Mockups

Khaled Abou Alfa

Jan 9, 2007, 7:01:02 PM1/9/07
to habari-dev
Okay team,

Following swiftly along with this, here's a couple of tweaks (btw those
are Ubuntu's system default buttons, I'm building a collection :), shut
up Michael, I can hear you snigger).

I've included for a continue button. It's not that bad to be honest. I
think it's all pretty clear.

Once a phase is done, it's opaqued out and we get a funky little
message, just to keep a smile on your phase while you're sorting things
out.

I'll do an error message and where that can go in the next batch.

003-Install-phase1.png
003-Install-phase2.png

Brendan Borlase

Jan 10, 2007, 2:57:38 AM1/10/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Khaled Abou Alfa wrote:
> Okay team,
>
> Following swiftly along with this, here's a couple of tweaks (btw those
> are Ubuntu's system default buttons, I'm building a collection :), shut
> up Michael, I can hear you snigger).

Looks snazzy. The continue looks a bit ugly due to Ubuntu's rather
garish modal controls..

.. perhaps it could be rendered using CSS (which has the side effect of
looking the same across
several browser and OS platforms).

> I've included for a continue button. It's not that bad to be honest. I
> think it's all pretty clear.
>
> Once a phase is done, it's opaqued out and we get a funky little
> message, just to keep a smile on your phase while you're sorting things
> out.
>
> I'll do an error message and where that can go in the next batch.

Cheers,

Brendan | ya...@angrymonkeys.net | http://www.smackfoo.com

broke...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2007, 3:51:57 AM1/10/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
No chance for controls such as this (and things like save etc ) the single best thing to do is leave the os to handle it
------------------

> Following swiftly along with this, here's a couple of tweaks (btw those
> are Ubuntu's system default buttons, I'm building a collection :), shut
> up Michael, I can hear you snigger).

Looks snazzy. The continue looks a bit ugly due to Ubuntu's rather
garish modal controls..

... perhaps it could be rendered using CSS (which has the side effect of

khaled Abou Alfa

Jan 10, 2007, 7:11:35 AM1/10/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I've got several notes I want to make on the installer actually, after sitting and thinking about it (which I think kinda is exactly what Michael was talking about). I'll write all those down including my concerns and how we could approach different things about this and send those through later on this afternoon.

So Firas, have a read of it before you get coding

Khaled

André Costa

Jan 10, 2007, 9:57:34 AM1/10/07
to habari-dev
Just going to echo what i said yesterday night on irc(nick=Manager):

I think that upon loading the installer, the Habari requirements(php
version, database, etc) should be checked and if not met, there should
be "already" a message on the first panel alerting the user about that.
I don't think that making the user having to click on continue to check
if the requirements have been met or not is that..hmm..useful(?).

Actually, i think it would also be nice to have also a message when the
requirements have been met(this is after launching the installer for
the first time), something in the lines of "Congratulations, our
hamsters have verified that your server is ready to begin the Habari
installation, please press continue to begin." (ok, you can skip the
hamsters part ;) )

Anyway, just some ideas for Khaled & Michael (and whoever else is
working on this) to think about :)

Firas Durri

Jan 10, 2007, 10:23:15 AM1/10/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/10/07, khaled Abou Alfa <broke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got several notes I want to make on the installer actually, after
> sitting and thinking about it (which I think kinda is exactly what Michael
> was talking about). I'll write all those down including my concerns and how
> we could approach different things about this and send those through later
> on this afternoon.
>
> So Firas, have a read of it before you get coding
>
> Khaled

Khaled,

I'm writing a *big* memo right now that puts all my cards on the table
as far as the 'states' the installer might end up at, I'm a bit uneasy
about all this very detailed design iteration that's going on without
taking into account that there are lots of things that'll need to be
taken care of designwise in terms of how the installer will behave.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Michael Heilemann

Jan 18, 2007, 10:10:28 AM1/18/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Yep, more.

Though requested, I haven't added any colors on purpose. I like the clean lines and lack of in-your-faceness.

The black side bars on the windows I thought would be added when you're done with a window. Just a subtle indicator of progress.

Also, in terms of actual form elements and what not, I just added what I thought made sense. This is more a matter of experimenting a bit with the form.

--
Aloha,
Michael Heilemann

khaled Abou Alfa

Jan 18, 2007, 1:01:08 PM1/18/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

Quick one to say that I like a lot of things you've put here for sure. I love the stylings that you've employed here. I love the glossy black parts and I've already mentioned the top curved section as well.

I like the bar with the language bar, however I would argue that that would have to be flipped upside down and to be placed at the top of the page.

In terms of the new slider model to the tabs, I'm definitely more in tune with these than the tabs before, mainly because it makes sense to have the title at the top of the page and this would actually allow for that to happen, while the previous version did not have that.

The darker bars on the sides are also a very cool indicator and can see your thinking throughout all of this. Very good work all around.

Like you if anyone's got some major requirements for other form areas happy to see them, I think Owen wants you to choose the theme to be used from the installer. Shouldn't be too difficult to do, although I really don't think it's a necessary thing, especially as the theme chooser in the admin panel gives you a thumbnail preview etc, which is a lot more useful than having a name to choose from.

I'm still not convinced by the typography of the habari at the top but I'm going to be working on that area over the weekend anyways.

I'd be well happy with this getting set up to be honest with the exception of one area,  I do still think that colour is required. I've really come to like the teal/green/orangy/tan/light pink colours as they provide a pretty calm experience. The grey while can be accenuated in the way you've done with the little details could be made more vibrant while at the same time calm if you try and go for the green. Do it for me and just try the colours I've gone for just to see what it'll look like. It's just a quick thing. The help icon at top is also in a pretty cool location.

It's going to be interesting to see how we can try and integrate the stylings in with the current admin layout but I'm sure we'll manage, mind sending me through the psds?

Ok so it wasn't as quick after all.

Owen Winkler

Jan 18, 2007, 6:59:03 PM1/18/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/18/07, khaled Abou Alfa <broke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Like you if anyone's got some major requirements for other form areas happy
> to see them, I think Owen wants you to choose the theme to be used from the
> installer. Shouldn't be too difficult to do, although I really don't think
> it's a necessary thing, especially as the theme chooser in the admin panel
> gives you a thumbnail preview etc, which is a lot more useful than having a
> name to choose from.

The installer can't display thumbnails?! That's a rather awful
limitation. Who coded that? ;)

An idea that intrigues me is allowing developers to add additional,
custom pages to the installer for setting plugin or theme options
directly at that time. Seems completely plausible in this scenario.

Owen

dean.j.robinson

Jan 18, 2007, 7:39:24 PM1/18/07
to habari-dev
The only reason I can see for the need to be able to select a theme at
the tim eof install is if there are going to be more than one bundled
with the final release. Is this going to be the case, could there be
more than one theme included when the time comes??

Other than that I quite like the simplicity of the latest mockups,
probably just needs a bit of colour.

Karthik

Jan 19, 2007, 12:02:54 AM1/19/07
to habari-dev
i am really loving these new mockups...i think we should get down to
implementing these mockups before the dev preview release

Michael Heilemann

Jan 19, 2007, 2:12:10 AM1/19/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Selecting any kind of theme in the installer seems unnecessary to me, I must say.

MatthewM

Jan 19, 2007, 4:25:54 AM1/19/07
to habari-dev
I like these, very nice. I agree with the language dropdown being more
appropriate at the top, maybe even the first option.

Will there be some sort of visual unity between this installer section
and the admin section?

Because they both look pretty different so far.

Karthik

Jan 19, 2007, 4:26:36 AM1/19/07
to habari-dev
i think mike is right.. why would we want to select a theme while
installing.. a better option would be to show the user some featured
themes(and plugins) on the habari site for him to download...

On Jan 19, 12:12 pm, "Michael Heilemann" <heilem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Selecting any kind of theme in the installer seems unnecessary to me, I must
> say.
>

> On 1/19/07, Owen Winkler <epit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 1/18/07, khaled Abou Alfa <brokenk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Like you if anyone's got some major requirements for other form areas
> > happy
> > > to see them, I think Owen wants you to choose the theme to be used from
> > the
> > > installer. Shouldn't be too difficult to do, although I really don't
> > think
> > > it's a necessary thing, especially as the theme chooser in the admin
> > panel
> > > gives you a thumbnail preview etc, which is a lot more useful than
> > having a
> > > name to choose from.
>
> > The installer can't display thumbnails?! That's a rather awful
> > limitation. Who coded that? ;)
>
> > An idea that intrigues me is allowing developers to add additional,
> > custom pages to the installer for setting plugin or theme options
> > directly at that time. Seems completely plausible in this scenario.
>

> > Owen--
> Aloha,
> Michael Heilemannhttp://binarybonsai.com

Firas Durri

Jan 19, 2007, 9:23:42 AM1/19/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/18/07, Owen Winkler <epi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The installer can't display thumbnails?! That's a rather awful
> limitation. Who coded that? ;)
>
> An idea that intrigues me is allowing developers to add additional,
> custom pages to the installer for setting plugin or theme options
> directly at that time. Seems completely plausible in this scenario.
>
> Owen

Owen,

I think this is worth additional discussion... I'm very heavily biased
towards making the installation a 'I can't believe it happened so
quickly'/'wow that was very few questions' type of experience. I
really think we should keep whittling it until it's the barebones
necessities to get the 'darn thing running'.

Maybe a compromise would be something like Khaled's thinking about, a
post-install 'welcome' section that'll give you a quick overview and
maybe let you switch between current themes and so on.

The reason it'd be different is that the installation process is like
holding your breath--you're just not sure what's going to fall apart.
Tinkering around with themes and a nice short intro *after* you've
installed means that you're sure at this point nothing's going to fall
apart.

I realize the difference is superficial, but I think this 'psychology
of perception' thing is really important for a first step/stage. The
installer is the very very very first thing people deal with when
deciding to go with habari.

There's no reason we can't transparently provide automation hooks for
meta-install scripts without messing up the GUI for the manual
installers.

--
Firas Durri | http://firasd.org

hab...@morydd.net

Jan 19, 2007, 9:37:04 AM1/19/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com

I think this ties nicely to issue #55
http://code.google.com/p/habari/issues/detail?id=55&can=2&q=
We could include a theme and plugin activation section in the "First
Time" welcome message, and possibly links to it in the "Beginner" section.

Michael Heilemann

Jan 19, 2007, 9:58:44 AM1/19/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
A welcome page would be a great idea.

Speaking of which we should probably do some screencasts to show off, what will undoubtedly be the coolest admin ever :)

Chris J. Davis

Jan 21, 2007, 4:41:53 PM1/21/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Can we please roll with one of these mockups!  I soooo want to start moving Habari ahead not only in code, but design.  These last mockups are pretty amazing Mike.

Chris

Michael Heilemann

Jan 22, 2007, 5:04:13 AM1/22/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/21/07, Chris J. Davis <c...@chrisjdavis.org> wrote:
Can we please roll with one of these mockups!  I soooo want to start moving Habari ahead not only in code, but design.  These last mockups are pretty amazing Mike.

Thanks dude. I hope they don't fall out too much compared with the style of the admin. We might have to do a bit of back and forth at some point. But nothing major I think.

- Mike