Admin colorpack idea

1 view

Christian Mohn (h0bbel)

May 7, 2008, 4:53:02 AM5/7/08
to habari-dev
Hi, all.

I don't want to start a big discussion regarding the colors of the
Monolith/Admin section, but I do have an idea which might please
everyone.

Could we have a colorpack system, that would allow admins to override
the default colors? The thought is that we can create a user/admin/
colorpack.css file that would be applied if present. This way we could
have different color preferences without having to touch the core
admin css files. Customization would be very easy, especially if we
have documented the color settings on the wiki?

bad idea or not?

Michael Heilemann

May 7, 2008, 5:31:21 AM5/7/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Christian Mohn (h0bbel) <h0b...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't want to start a big discussion regarding the colors of the
Monolith/Admin section, but I do have an idea which might please
everyone.

I had an idea for a plugin that would allow you to easily and elegantly change the color scheme in the admin way back when we first started talking about the admin. But I never mocked it up. Very basic stuff, accessible by all.

--
Michael Heilemann
http://binarybonsai.com

Michael C. Harris

May 7, 2008, 6:28:32 AM5/7/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:31:21AM +0200, Michael Heilemann wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Christian Mohn (h0bbel) wrote:
>
> > I don't want to start a big discussion regarding the colors of the
> > Monolith/Admin section, but I do have an idea which might please
> > everyone.
>
> I had an idea for a plugin that would allow you to easily and elegantly
> change the color scheme in the admin way back when we first started
> talking about the admin. But I never mocked it up. Very basic stuff,
> accessible by all.

That sounds like a great idea. If you get a chance to sketch out your
idea some more, I'm sure there would be people to lend a hand with
implementation. I'll certainly help if I can.

--
Michael C. Harris, School of CS&IT, RMIT University
http://twofishcreative.com/michael/blog

Christian Mohn (h0bbel)

May 7, 2008, 7:44:54 AM5/7/08
to habari-dev
A plugin could probably do what I'm suggesting too. I thought it might
be even easier to just have a template css file you place in user/
admin/ and have it override the standard admin.css?

On May 7, 12:28 pm, "Michael C. Harris" <michael.twof...@gmail.com>

Graham Christensen

May 7, 2008, 7:49:46 AM5/7/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
IMO, using a plugin would result in much nicer code. It could even ship
standard.

Graham Christensen

http://itrebal.com - Customized Web Hosting
Graham.Ch...@iamgraham.net

Christian Mohn (h0bbel)

May 7, 2008, 9:02:21 AM5/7/08
to habari-dev
Sure. Either way is fine with me, I just want the option somehow. :)

On May 7, 1:49 pm, Graham Christensen
<graham.christen...@iamgraham.net> wrote:
> IMO, using a plugin would result in much nicer code. It could even ship
> standard.
>
> Graham Christensen
>
> http://itrebal.com- Customized Web Hosting
> Graham.Christen...@iamgraham.net

Ali B.

May 7, 2008, 10:44:50 AM5/7/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Love the idea and +1 for it being a plugin :)
--
Ali B / dmondark
http://www.awhitebox.com

Christian Mohn

May 7, 2008, 3:48:37 PM5/7/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com

Ok, plugin it is. I wonder how hard it would be to make. ;)

Christian

Graham Christensen

May 7, 2008, 4:24:00 PM5/7/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Not hard at all, only took a few minutes...
http://trac.habariproject.org/habari-extras/browser/plugins/FreeStyleAdmin

Graham Christensen

Christian Mohn wrote:

> Ok, plugin it is. I wonder how hard it would be to make. ;)
>

> Christian

Chris J. Davis

May 7, 2008, 4:55:58 PM5/7/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Nice job, and quick too.

I get this error:

Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in /
home/.garfunkle/saintthom/chrisjdavis.org/system/classes/utils.php
(705) : eval()'d code on line 45

When trying to load the plugin screen to activate the plugin( it is
not yet active)

Chris

Christian Mohn

May 7, 2008, 6:48:25 PM5/7/08