Media Upload

Khaled Abou Alfa

Dec 3, 2006, 4:41:15 PM12/3/06
to habari-dev
Ok,

Now that I've gotten my head around pages and posts in habari, we can
move onto other areas to tackle. I've included what happens when you
click on the actual upload media button.

Section drops down and you upload the media. Inserts itself into the
content and remains open for any more uploads or for . Now part of me
would love a method like in gmail where you upload and then the system
takes that an automatically uploads everything to the content. However
if that's not possible then an additional button it is then.

The thing is though I would like to show a loading animation there to
inform the user that something is happening. It's a small visual
indicator that could really keep the user informed as to what is going
on. Any ideas how this could be incorporated?

On the subject, what does everyone think about the loading indicators in
general? I'm talking much like on flickr, where the user is not left
guessing. This just creates a much more controlled environment for the
user and in effect adds to the usability.

Also you'll notice the little house at the top. I'm sorry I broke down.
I think that we can possibly use the entry page for good reasons.

1. Drafts so that the user can get into editing his/her unfinished posts
2. Activity on the site (recent comments).
3. Activity/links back to site.
4. Maybe other statistics you guys can think of? I use mint, but that
doesn't mean everyone else does....

No rss aggregators (unless a plugin is developed). Let's maintain the
focus.

Thoughts?

publish_v5.1_media.png

Scott Merrill

Dec 3, 2006, 9:15:18 PM12/3/06
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Khaled Abou Alfa wrote:
> Section drops down and you upload the media. Inserts itself into the
> content and remains open for any more uploads or for . Now part of me
> would love a method like in gmail where you upload and then the system
> takes that an automatically uploads everything to the content. However
> if that's not possible then an additional button it is then.

Where does one browse to select previously uploaded media?

> The thing is though I would like to show a loading animation there to
> inform the user that something is happening. It's a small visual
> indicator that could really keep the user informed as to what is going
> on. Any ideas how this could be incorporated?

I like the idea. Maybe we could use a lightbox type thingie to overlay
the "processing" image onto the screen.

> On the subject, what does everyone think about the loading indicators in
> general? I'm talking much like on flickr, where the user is not left
> guessing. This just creates a much more controlled environment for the
> user and in effect adds to the usability.

I like Flickr's implementation, because it makes it clear to me that
something is happening that I ought not interrupt.

> Also you'll notice the little house at the top. I'm sorry I broke down.

The house icon is, I assume, a quicklink to our "dashboard" analogue?
Most people equate the house icon with "home", which I think they would
assume is the site's public front page.

> I think that we can possibly use the entry page for good reasons.
>
> 1. Drafts so that the user can get into editing his/her unfinished posts
> 2. Activity on the site (recent comments).
> 3. Activity/links back to site.
> 4. Maybe other statistics you guys can think of? I use mint, but that
> doesn't mean everyone else does....

I don't use mint, and I'm not overly worried about stats. The other
elements you suggested sound useful, though.

> No rss aggregators (unless a plugin is developed). Let's maintain the
> focus.

As long as our dashboard is pluggable from the beginning, so that it can
display whatever the _user_ wants to display, I'll be happy.