Current Design Recap

khaled Abou Alfa

Jan 7, 2007, 7:30:22 AM1/7/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Lots and lots have happened since the last email about the design, mainly because I sat down on IRC yesterday and just was tweaking while talking to everyone and feeding off the energies and ideas. Extremely productive session I must say. Here is the link for the latest write mockup:

http://www.brokenkode.com/habaridev/publish_v9.png

Things to point out:
1. We now have everything centred, with a maximum width of 1000px. I originally thought that we couldn't do max width due to IE restrictions, however there does seem to be a bit of a work around regarding this and it's not a terrible complicated one either. So the design shifted from left aligned to something that wouldn't look odd on larger screen resolutions but at the same time could fit into resolutions as small as 800x600.
2. We used to have the bar going all the way across but Chris was wondering whether this was a good idea or not. I've done this little tweak to see what the alternative would look like. On a smaller screen the bar across definitely doesn't look out of place, however on a larger screen I'll admit it does look slighty long, but not completely out of place. I think before we go either way, I'm going to let it sink in and see which version grows on me and why.
3. Although in the mockup I've increases the size of the bar, looking at it now in a smaller screen makes it look too chunky, so I'll be reducing it back to the original size we had before.

4. The colour palette has changed, but I think we've got our working colours for now. These might get tweaked once we've finalised the logo but it's in that general ballpark.

5, One good question is how are we going to be dealing with private types of posts/content/pages? Ones that you would either need to login or only the author can read? Should we have another radio button titled private? I can't remember how we decided to deal with this one (I recall some discussions about this but I've forgotten).

The admin page is like so:
http://www.brokenkode.com/habaridev/admin_v17.png

And the drop down menu version is like so:
http://www.brokenkode.com/habaridev/admin_v17_dropdown.png

Which then brings up the question again of how we think the navigation should be handled. Complete drop down on hovering, or should we try and go down the flickr/gmail route of having the menu be clicked and stay there until it's removed. One can be js free while the other will require JS to be implemented.

Owen Winkler

Jan 7, 2007, 11:46:20 AM1/7/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
A couple very quick responses...

On 1/7/07, khaled Abou Alfa <broke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 4. The colour palette has changed, but I think we've got our working colours
> for now. These might get tweaked once we've finalised the logo but it's in
> that general ballpark.

I'm ordering my new notebook bag today. These colors are going to
have to stick around. :p

> 5, One good question is how are we going to be dealing with private types of
> posts/content/pages? Ones that you would either need to login or only the
> author can read? Should we have another radio button titled private? I can't
> remember how we decided to deal with this one (I recall some discussions
> about this but I've forgotten).

The database schema implies that we need an option for status
(draft/pusblished/private/protected) and for type (post entry/page).
So if we have two settings, we should be good. Don't go crazy trying
to come up with different statuses and types, they're going to be
defined dynmaically in the database.

> Which then brings up the question again of how we think the navigation
> should be handled. Complete drop down on hovering, or should we try and go
> down the flickr/gmail route of having the menu be clicked and stay there
> until it's removed. One can be js free while the other will require JS to be
> implemented.

The mockup has little dropdown arrows in it. I think that the buttons
should not dropdown, and the arrows should always dropdown on rollover
(without a click). That's simplest, and won't require js to work.
For as nice as the sticky menus in flickr/gmail are, not needing js is
an accessibility bonus that we wouldn't have to worry about later.
IMO.

Technically... (my eyes gloss over as I fantasize) If CSS3 was
universal, you'd be able to use the (I think it's called) :target
pseudo-class to make the menus stay open. But I dream...

Owen

KO

Jan 11, 2007, 1:04:43 AM1/11/07
to habari-dev
> Technically... (my eyes gloss over as I fantasize) If CSS3 was
> universal, you'd be able to use the (I think it's called) :target
> pseudo-class to make the menus stay open. But I dream...

Why target older browsers at all? That would save a lot of CSS/xhtml
coding time. Surely the users of Habari will be running the latest and
greatest browsers, and if not, there is no harm in making it a
requirement to use a new browser for the admin interface.

Robin Adrianse

Jan 11, 2007, 12:57:09 PM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but even the "latest and greatest" browsers like Firefox and Safari only have partial if any at all support for CSS3 declarations. There's being on the cutting edge, but then there's also alienating your users for technological advancement.

Firas Durri

Jan 11, 2007, 1:01:43 PM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/11/07, Robin Adrianse <shor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, but even the "latest and greatest" browsers like Firefox and Safari
> only have partial if any at all support for CSS3 declarations. There's being
> on the cutting edge, but then there's also alienating your users for
> technological advancement.

I would say leaving IE6 users behind would be shooting ourselves in the foot.

I recommend we support all of the browsers yahoo's marked here as A-grade:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/gbs/gbs_browser-chart.html

If needed for js reasons we can probably drop firefox 1.5.x

--
Firas Durri | http://firasd.org

Computer Guru

Jan 11, 2007, 1:07:12 PM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com

“Why target older browsers at all? That would save a lot of CSS/xhtml

coding time. Surely the users of Habari will be running the latest and
greatest browsers, and if not, there is no harm in making it a

requirement to use a new browser for the admin interface.”

I assume you meant the administrators of habari and not the users?

Computer Guru

NeoSmart Technologies

http://neosmart.net/blog/