Bug Hunt/Squash Doc Writing

Michael Bishop

Jan 31, 2008, 2:59:11 PM1/31/08
to habari-dev
A few brief discussions on IRC about doing some bug squashing and doc
writing this Saturday have come up, so to expand the list of
participants, and possibly have a plan of attack, I'm posting this to
the list. No real time has been set yet, just an "all day" kinda
thing, but if a general time that would work for our GMT+ participants
could be set, that might be nice.

I'm assuming that #habari channel in IRC will be the primary point of
comunication. I've not participated in an organized effort like this,
so perhaps those that have can chime in with some common methods of
attack?

Personally, I'm looking forward to this, and getting a .4 release
ready for testing.

~miklb

Scott Merrill

Jan 31, 2008, 3:14:25 PM1/31/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
> I'm assuming that #habari channel in IRC will be the primary point of
> comunication. I've not participated in an organized effort like this,
> so perhaps those that have can chime in with some common methods of
> attack?

I think we need to fix any critical / major bugs recorded in Trac
against the 0.4 milestone. (It might be helpful to review all the
critical / major bugs, even if they're not assigned to the upcoming
milestone.) In general, folks announce "I'm going to work on #xyz"
and then get cracking. Discussions ensue, and patches may be put
forth for review and testing. Repeat as necessary.

We've had a number of installation problems reported to us. I think
we need to have a coordinated "install fest", whereby we all try to
install Habari several times, in several different configurations, so
that we can ensure the installer properly identifies and reports
problems. Permissions, PDO drivers, etc, should all be tested, and
Habari should adequately explain to the end user anything problematic.
A matrix or chart of scenarios to test might be helpful, so that we
can all work against the same goals on our various hosting accounts /
configurations.

We should take this opportunity to review the manual(s) shipped with
Habari, to make sure that they present the information we think one
needs. For documentation, I think we need a point of contact to
coordinate / review changes. This point of contact should ensure that
the manual(s) have a consistent voice, and ensure that style
conventions are applied consistently.