Theming

Randy Walker

Feb 7, 2008, 10:12:20 PM2/7/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Currently, making a theme is very hard. Long strings of arcane words
symbols are not good. I am not trying to conjure a demon. I just want
a theme.

There used to be talk of different theme engines... so that you could
use txp tags or smarty or whatever to design templates. Is this still
in habari's future?

Raw php is nasty. EE has especially nice templating language, from
what I've seen.

Also, I don't know what most (any?) of the stuff in the k2 theme.php
file does, so I just copy that file over to my themes just in case.

I am not a coder. Can we make theming easier?

Also, the theme.php file says "Note that the variables added here
should possibly *always* be added, especially 'user'." so... if it
should always be in every theme, why make people add it to their
theme? can't habari add it somewhere?

Be gentle. I am not a coder :)

~Randy

broke...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2008, 3:04:40 AM2/8/08
to Habari Dev email
Hey randy

Coming from someone who is not a coder by any stretch of the imagination I have found the raw 'engine' to be extremely easy to adapt to.

I will say that I had a lot of help from the IRC crowd and I know we have a long way to go before we become theme designer friendly which I think can be achieved in an easy way through our manual and the community.

I started work on a designer pack which would include a fully annotated example theme a cheat sheet and an faq (that would be added into the manual as well ) however the truth is I want to finish the admin first before moving on.

We could collaborate on the pack together if you want. After all the best way of fully understanding is trying to explain.

Feb 8, 2008, 11:15:41 AM2/8/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I have had to hack one of Skippy's themes for now until I understand
more about whats going on, it is a work in progress at www.alt-f4.co.uk
all though no more will be done until after the weekend.

An easy way would be nice especially if i don't have to canablise other
peoples work to get something that will actually work.