Habari Domain

khaled Abou Alfa

Jan 11, 2007, 8:02:36 AM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I think we hijacked the original purpose from Bryan in the previous email thread so I've started this new one to concentrate conversations for the domain right here.

With regards to the url, I know Scott and Owen aren't completely bothered, but I think it's an important step. This isn't your typical open source project and as such we shouldn't really be falling into the pitfalls of other open source projects that don't care about the marketing aspect of other projects.

Using the swahili word Habari is first something that most people don't get in the anglophone world (after all it's Swahili) but that's to our advantage because once we explain what it actually means it all makes sense, which is part of the appeal.

Subsequently to maintain the level of profesionalism that we're striving the code/admin/website/features to contain I think a good url is definitely in order. As such I really don't think that habariblog.org is a good name. I understand that it's simple in that it's got the name and it's about blogging, but the point is habariblog in my mind would be associated with the actual habariblog rather than the main development/community/download site.

I'm also DEFINITELY of the mind that it should be a .org because that alone to any future developers or users will definitely understand that it's an open source project rather than a commercial project.

So what are the options available to us? Well rather than a knee jerk reaction to all this a good solution would be to actually consider our options carefully. Seeing as Habari.org is taken and doesn't look to be given up any time soon, we've got to get a composite word with Habari in it.

So what are we trying to envoke with the name:
1. That it's the offical site for all things Habari related.
2. That it's also the place to get Habari news, information
3. This is where you can join into the community (which should be front and centre in all of this)
4. It's a blogging tool.
5. It's free and open source
6. It's striving to be the best tool for blogging

There have been a couple of solutions out there: habariproject, gethabari, habarilive.

Here are a couple more, I don't know which I like but it's just maybe these could trigger other suggestions that we can all feel comfortable with:

projecthabari.org
ha-ba-ri.org (makes sure everyone pronounces it correctly?)
habarigroup.org
habaricommunity.org
habaricollective.org
habaripeople.org
habaritown.org

Apart from that, domain rights should be kept with the project commiters (until Habari can stand on it's own two legs?), it's the way it should be really, as should the hosting?

werner veldman

Jan 11, 2007, 9:16:14 AM1/11/07
to habari-dev
what about sohabari.org

Computer Guru

Jan 11, 2007, 9:51:41 AM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I personally like http://habaricentral.org/

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/

YellowSwordfish

Jan 11, 2007, 10:29:48 AM1/11/07
to habari-dev

Computer Guru wrote:
> I personally like http://habaricentral.org/

That's not bad. Certainly one of the best I've seen so far. With the
unavailability of the obvious habari.org (which along with .com is
where people are going to look for you) whatever you chose will be a
compromise.

Firas Durri

Jan 11, 2007, 4:37:59 PM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/11/07, khaled Abou Alfa <broke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we hijacked the original purpose from Bryan in the previous email
> thread so I've started this new one to concentrate conversations for the
> domain right here.

+1 habariproject.org

André Costa

Jan 11, 2007, 4:42:53 PM1/11/07
to habari-dev
habaricentral.org for Themes & Plugins
habariproject.org for Blog, Download, Manual, err..whatever

(yeah, that means 2 sites, but we got to keep Bryan busy :P )

-- André Costa(Manager on IRC)

Jess Anastasia

Jan 11, 2007, 5:34:40 PM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to put my vote down for habariproject.org

Jordan Moore

Jan 11, 2007, 6:02:46 PM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Why? Having multiple domains complicates things for no reason. Just
have themes and plug-ins in their own sub-directory or sub-domain.

--
Jordan Moore - Creative Director
Sanctus Studios LLC

Jordan Moore

Jan 11, 2007, 6:09:08 PM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Same.

+1 for habariproject.org

On 1/11/07, Jess Anastasia <jess...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm going to put my vote down for habariproject.org

Robin Adrianse

Jan 11, 2007, 6:38:34 PM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I like this idea. I think it's important that we have an official themes/plugins repository or else we end up with the mess that is much like WordPress' right now (themes.wordpress.net , wpplugins.org, wp-plugins.net, dev.wordpress.org, etc.).

Owen Winkler

Jan 11, 2007, 6:55:37 PM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 1/11/07, Jordan Moore <jordanr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 for habariproject.org

Everyone needs to stop suggesting domains that are already registered,
and stop registering domains that you suggest if you expect them to be
accepted. If you register a domain, and you suddenly die (I hope not,
but hey, it happens), then how does the project recover the domain?

Owen

Frank Helmschrott

Jan 11, 2007, 7:26:50 PM1/11/07
to habari-dev
Hi guys,

glad to see the project growing... the explanation of habari on the
project homepage brought me to something like:

dohabari.c/n/o (whatever) -> do spred the news, do blog, do it ;)

just an impulse.

Best,
Frank

Jordan Moore

Jan 11, 2007, 7:30:03 PM1/11/07
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I was assuming that someone had registered the domain for this
purpose. If not, then by all means, we need to consider another domain
(that is either registered and will be transferred to one of the
project leaders, or is currently unregistered).