Documentation Suggestions

Owen Winkler

Jan 5, 2008, 3:21:09 PM1/5/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be helpful to have a way to record topics that people
might like to have documented, so that when someone who writes
documentation is looking for something to do, they have a place to look
for ideas of what to cover.

I would like to do one or two things:

1) Create a component in Trac for documentation. Allow users to add
suggestions for new documentation (enhancement) or improvements in
existing documentation (bugs). We could track these and "fix" them.

[This would also entail a bit of tweaking to our existing components,
which I think nobody really understands. I was thinking of separating
things into much less specific groupings that undeniably fit any situation.]

2) Create a page on hp.o that accepts requests for documentation that
funnels those requests directly to the correct category in Trac. This
could help prevent user error being caused by novices submitting to the
wrong component, setting the wrong priority, etc.

How does that sound?

Owen

Sean T. Evans

Jan 5, 2008, 5:58:26 PM1/5/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Owen Winkler wrote:
> I think it would be helpful to have a way to record topics that people
> might like to have documented, so that when someone who writes
> documentation is looking for something to do, they have a place to look
> for ideas of what to cover.
>
> I would like to do one or two things:
>
> 1) Create a component in Trac for documentation. Allow users to add
> suggestions for new documentation (enhancement) or improvements in
> existing documentation (bugs). We could track these and "fix" them.
>
> [This would also entail a bit of tweaking to our existing components,
> which I think nobody really understands. I was thinking of separating
> things into much less specific groupings that undeniably fit any situation.]

I'm +1 on this. I think the same could go for plugins and themes as
well. So components would be "Core" "Plugin" "Theme" or "Docs"

For 3rd party themes and plugins, we would simply notify the plugin
developer of it. This would allow theme and plugin developers to have a
trac system for their items without having to learn to maintain such a
thing themselves.

While this would be a bit more error prone than the second suggestion,
good attention would keep those errors relatively mild and short term.

Ali B.

Jan 6, 2008, 6:49:04 AM1/6/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure about using the HP Trac for 3rd party themes and plugins. As the number of plugins/themes will grow, IMO it would be an overload on the Trac system and the maintainers to handle them. Issues with 3rd party components need to be reported to/ handled by their creators/manitainers.

As for creating a doc component in Trac, I am as well +1, I think that documentation should be handled in Trac as much as possible like the code. ie bugs, new features (new topic), change request..etc

The hp.o page sounds like a really good idea as well, I agree that it would minimize the errors when submitting a documentation issue directly to Trac. Not as important if you ask me, however.

Owen Winkler

Jan 6, 2008, 9:29:26 AM1/6/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Ali B. wrote:
> I am not sure about using the HP Trac for 3rd party themes and plugins.
> As the number of plugins/themes will grow, IMO it would be an overload
> on the Trac system and the maintainers to handle them. Issues with 3rd
> party components need to be reported to/ handled by their
> creators/manitainers.

There is a separate Trac for 3rd party components, so the core install
wouldn't be confused with those tickets.

There are a couple of reasons to provide 3rd party support on hp.o. The
first is that it promotes collaboration between developers and
contributions to the community. Another is that plugin devs don't
necessarily have the resources (subversion, issue tracking) to publish
their plugins properly.

It's fine to say that you should report issues to plugin devs directly,
but if they don't have a place to submit issues like this 3rd party
Trac, then there would be no way to do that.

Owen

Ali B.

Jan 6, 2008, 11:47:51 AM1/6/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 6, 2008 4:29 PM, Owen Winkler <epi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ali B. wrote:
> I am not sure about using the HP Trac for 3rd party themes and plugins.
> As the number of plugins/themes will grow, IMO it would be an overload
> on the Trac system and the maintainers to handle them. Issues with 3rd
> party components need to be reported to/ handled by their
> creators/manitainers.

There are a couple of reasons to provide 3rd party support on hp.o.  The
first is that it promotes collaboration between developers and
contributions to the community.  Another is that plugin devs don't
necessarily have the resources (subversion, issue tracking) to publish
their plugins properly.

It's fine to say that you should report issues to plugin devs directly,
but if they don't have a place to submit issues like this 3rd party
Trac, then there would be no way to do that.

That makes more sense in the world of goodness, which I am in for. I am convinced :)
Let us know how can we help.