Manipulating object graphs in a RDBMS

cowwoc

Apr 15, 2011, 7:43:27 AM4/15/11
to H2 Database
Hi,

I'm curious if anyone has any experience working with object graphs
and RDBMS systems:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5274680/object-graphs-and-read-committed-transaction-isolation

I not actively working on this problem but I'm curious what you think.

Thank you,
Gili

Michal Bergmann

Apr 15, 2011, 1:55:46 PM4/15/11
to H2 Database
READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT isolation level can help you to solve problem
with concurrent operations. It allows to performing multiple queries
without being affected by other simultaneous transactions.
M.

On Apr 15, 1:43 pm, cowwoc <cow...@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      I'm curious if anyone has any experience working with object graphs
> and RDBMS systems:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5274680/object-graphs-and-read-com...

cowwoc

Apr 15, 2011, 8:24:19 PM4/15/11
to h2-da...@googlegroups.com

Is increasing the transaction isolation level the only way to solve
this problem?

Thanks,
Gili

Michal Bergmann

Apr 17, 2011, 5:20:50 PM4/17/11
to H2 Database
Let me think. You could also
- copy data to temporary table first
- lock the table and prevent updates
- monitor table for changes (with a trigger) and if it does change
during loop detection, your result may not be valid, then you can
throw it away and repeat loop detection.
- use application logic to postpone any changes till loop detection is
finished

Using READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT isolation level is probably the best
solution, if database supports it.It has low overhead and doesn't
block concurrent transactions.
M.

Victor

Apr 18, 2011, 12:47:02 AM4/18/11
to H2 Database

cowwoc

Apr 19, 2011, 3:28:30 PM4/19/11
to H2 Database
That's a pretty nice answer. Care to post it on Stackoverflow?