Source editor integrated

Adam Wiggins

Apr 28, 2007, 7:56:48 PM4/28/07
to GyreRails
Big news: Gyre now has a built-in editor! I always thought this would
be one of the last features to be added, because writing a
programmer's editor is hard, and also there are already plenty of good
ones, so it seemed odd to duplicate that effort.

A few weeks ago someone suggested integrating CodePress
(www.codepress.org), which I did, sort of on a lark. The results are
in /branches/codepress if anyone is interested. This wasn't going to
work because of the way that it renders line numbers, but seeing that
CodePress managed to create a reasonably good basic code editor in ~8k
of Javascript, I was inspired to write my own. The prototype is here:

http://adam.blogs.bitscribe.net/2007/04/20/javascript-text-editor/

Last night I integrated it into Gyre, so now Gyre is a true IDE.
___
Adam Wiggins
bitscribe.net

Ryan T Mulligan

Apr 29, 2007, 11:02:34 AM4/29/07
to GyreRails
Adam,

I looked at the text editor. It's good that you use strings for the
numbers.

Things I noticed:
You did a great job with keybinding capture!: I can't use any of my
normal browser keybindings which is great!
When you hold down enter and it gets very slow for a while.
Tabbing could be improved so that it only tabs to the proper depth.
(I'd probably be interested in helping on this one)

Otherwise I'd say that this is the most promising of the text editors
I've seen when I researched it a month ago.
-Ryan Mulligan