The Three Amigos, problem with this tutorial

mjfan80

Apr 1, 2008, 4:58:22 AM4/1/08
to gwt-maven
Hi to everyone
First of all i'm pretty new to maven, i really started to read about
it some days ago, so maybe the error i get is simple incorrect use of
maven

I'm tryng to use this tutorial
http://shinetech.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1396
to understand gwt+spring+maven

but i get error...

First of all i didn't understand extacly what i have to do to set
correct use of gwt-maven
the tutorial say:

Once installed, we need to enable Maven for GWT. GWT support for Maven
is still pretty much in its infancy, so the best we can do is follow
the manual setup procedures from the Maven GWT Project. This requires
a separate download of the GWT Toolkit outside of Maven. However, this
is still relatively straightforward to do:

1. Download the GWT Toolkit and install it. This is usually as
simple as unzipping it. On a Mac, for example, you might unzip it to /
Applications/java/gwt-mac-1.4.61
2. Add a profile to your Maven settings.xml file (if you are using
the default local repository location, this file will be under your
home directory at .m2/settings.xml) and point the profile to where you
installed the toolkit. It'll end up looking something like this:

<settings>
<profiles>
<profile>
<id>gwt-1.4.61</id>
<properties>
<google.webtoolkit.home>/Applications/java/gwt-mac-1.4.61</
google.webtoolkit.home>
<!-- XstartOnFirstThread needed only on the mac -->
<google.webtoolkit.extrajvmargs>-XstartOnFirstThread</
google.webtoolkit.extrajvmargs>
</properties>
</profile>
</profiles>
<activeProfiles>
<activeProfile>gwt-1.4.61</activeProfile>
</activeProfiles>
</settings>

I alredy have gwt on my pc
all i have to do is put the code above on setting.xml on ".m2"
directory?
and what about gwt-maven plugin? where i have to put it?

otherwise, i continued the tutorial... everything it seams to work

I'd checkout http://shine-reference.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/shine-reference
and that's worked
i did mvn source:jar install and that's worked
i did mvn jetty:run-war and it seams to work... i don't know exactly,
if i use this code, maven it start to work, download something,
compile something and sayd me
[INFO] started Jetty Server
[INFO] Started scanner an interval of 60 seconds
and the cmd it stop here...
if i go to http://localhost:8089/Shine-Spring-Sample (not
http://localhost:8080/Shine-Spring-Sample as tutorial say) i get a
page with a logo (wthout nothing more)

but when i try
mvn gwt:gwt
i get build error

[ERROR] build error
[INFO] unable to merge web.xml
embedded error: unknown protocol: c

can someone helpme?

mjfan80

Apr 1, 2008, 5:01:37 AM4/1/08
to gwt-maven
just a mistake on above mail

the address at localhost is
http://localhost:8090/com.shinetech.SampleApp/SampleApp.html

and i get this page

HTTP ERROR: 404

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/com.shinetech.SampleApp/SampleApp.html

Powered by jetty://

Charlie Collins

Apr 2, 2008, 7:30:32 AM4/2/08
to gwt-maven
IF you already have GWT installed, then yes, you just need to point to
it and define that location as google.webtoolkit.home in your
settings.xml.

Then you define the plugin in your POM, you don't need to download and
or do anything else special with the plugin. See the docs and sample
POMs. http://gwt-maven.googlecode.com/svn/docs/maven-googlewebtoolkit2-plugin/index.html.

I have glanced at that tutorial, but not run it myself, so I don't
have specific knowledge of that (but GWT-Maven does work with Spring
in my experience, shouldn't be a problem).

Also, make sure you have a SOURCE web.xml file (src/main/webapp/WEB-
INF/web.xml - doesn't have to have anything defined, just top level
outline), if you want it merged, if you don't want it merged then
don't include the execution for mergewebxml.
http://gwt-maven.googlecode.com/svn/docs/maven-googlewebtoolkit2-plugin/examples.html

On Apr 1, 4:58 am, mjfan80 <mjfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi to everyone
> First of all i'm pretty new to maven, i really started to read about
> it some days ago, so maybe the error i get is simple incorrect use of
> maven
>
> I'm tryng to use this tutorialhttp://shinetech.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1396
> I'd checkouthttp://shine-reference.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/shine-reference
> and that's worked
> i did mvn source:jar install and that's worked
> i did mvn jetty:run-war and it seams to work... i don't know exactly,
> if i use this code, maven it start to work, download something,
> compile something and sayd me
> [INFO] started Jetty Server
> [INFO] Started scanner an interval of 60 seconds
> and the cmd it stop here...
> if i go tohttp://localhost:8089/Shine-Spring-Sample(nothttp://localhost:8080/Shine-Spring-Sampleas tutorial say) i get a

mjfan80

Apr 2, 2008, 8:54:59 AM4/2/08
to gwt-maven
thanks for the reply, but it didn't help so much

in the source of the tutorial there are three subproject, everyone
with the pom.xml, and on other pom.xml on the root directory
only one have the reference of
<goal>mergewebxml</goal>
(is this part you mentioned when you say: if you don't want it merged
then don't include the execution for mergewebxml)
is the gwt module
i commented this line

now the script do more stuff
but i get a build error
"enable to find catalina.base"

On 2 Apr, 13:30, Charlie Collins <charlie.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> IF you already have GWT installed, then yes, you just need to point to
> it and define that location as google.webtoolkit.home in your
> settings.xml.
>
> Then you define the plugin in your POM, you don't need to download and
> or do anything else special with the plugin. See the docs and sample
> POMs.http://gwt-maven.googlecode.com/svn/docs/maven-googlewebtoolkit2-plug....
>
> I have glanced at that tutorial, but not run it myself, so I don't
> have specific knowledge of that (but GWT-Maven does work with Spring
> in my experience, shouldn't be a problem).
>
> Also, make sure you have a SOURCE web.xml file (src/main/webapp/WEB-
> INF/web.xml - doesn't have to have anything defined, just top level
> outline), if you want it merged, if you don't want it merged then
> don't include the execution for mergewebxml.http://gwt-maven.googlecode.com/svn/docs/maven-googlewebtoolkit2-plug...
> > if i go tohttp://localhost:8089/Shine-Spring-Sample(nothttp://localhost:8080/Sh...tutorial say) i get a

awal

Apr 5, 2008, 8:09:29 AM4/5/08
to gwt-maven

On Apr 2, 2:54 pm, mjfan80 <mjfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> now the script do more stuff
> but i get a build error
> "enable to find catalina.base"

I think it can be related to: http://code.google.com/p/gwt-maven/issues/detail?id=91
do you have your project set up in a path with spaces in folder names?
If yes, all you need to do is to move it to a different folder,
without spaces.