Queen Quet of the Gullah/Geechee Nation Delivers Keynote to Full House at the National Press Club

Gullah/Geechee

Sep 20, 2010, 9:17:43 AM9/20/10
to Gullah/Geechee
Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation
Delivers Keynote Address at the US National Press Club

Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation (www.QueenQuet.com)
delivered her first keynote address at the United States National
Press Club in Washington, DC to a full house. Those in attendance
came to learn of the living heritage of the citizens of the Gullah/
Geechee Nation and their linguistic traditions. The Smithsonian’s
Anacostia Museum is currently hosting the “Word, Shout, Song”
exhibition focused on the work of linguist Lorenzo Dow Turner, who is
now considered “the Father of Gullah Studies.” Queen Quet discussed
not only the work of Turner and what this opened the door to within
the academic world, but also the fact that the language and traditions
were and are still between Jacksonville, NC to Jacksonville, FL due to
the wherewithal and self-determination of the Gullah/Geechee people
themselves.

Queen Quet was the first person to initiate an organization dedicated
to the continuation of Gullah/Geechee cultural traditions and
language. The Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition still remains the
premiere organization that focuses on these issues and advocates
for the human and land rights of the Gullah/Geechees. The Gullah/
Geechee Sea Island Coalition has developed the ONLY archive in the
world that is totally dedicated to Gullah/Geechee history, heritage,
and culture. They have hosted thousands of students and researchers
and educational tour groups from around the world since the archive
was launched in 1997, one year after the Coalition came into
existence.

Queen Quet was elected by Gullah/Geechees as their spokesperson. She
continues to travel around the world to insure that the voice of her
people is heard. As she stated at the National Press Club, for many
years, her people were told that they way in which they spoke and the
traditions that they practice “ain da nuttin! Tro dem ting way!”
Fortunately, there are still Gulllah/Geechee traditionalists that have
not thrown away their cultural traditions and they still live them.
While others focus on historic preservation, Queen Quet continues the
mission of cultural continuation. Her shining example of this led to
ABC news anchor Maureen Bunyan stating, “Queen Quet, please come
back. You have a great deal to teach us. We treasure you.”

Queen Quet was once called a “national treasure” on National Public
Radio in DC. She treasures her community and the fact that “Gullah”
means “people blessed by God.” She seeks to continue to share that
blessings with more people around the world as she continues her
tour this fall at various universities, festivals, and once again at
the United Nations. Queen Quet states, “We hafa hol pun dem ting
wha wi traysya. Disya fa me da me peepol wha da stan wid me.
Hunnuh kno me aways crak me teet an sey, “Hunnuh mus tek cyare de root
fa heal de tree!” For more information on how to connect with Queen
Quet and the Gullah/Geechee Nation, go to www.officialgullahgeechee.info
or www.gullahgeechee.net.